• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus frickin' Lattimore

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm wondering about his contract status down the road. Under the new CBA, all draft picks sign either 4 or 5 year deals (top 16 picks may be able to sign 6 year deals.

Lattimore will sign a 4 year contract, as the CBA dictates. If he doesn't play this year, does it count as an accrued season? If not, he would be the rare RFA that was drafted with the new CBA.

For precedence on this issue, back in 1999 we drafted Tai Streets, but he had a torn achilles (happened between the combine and draft). We signed him to a 4 year contract (he was a 2nd round prospect before the injury) and when his contract expired he thought he would be unrestricted. The team challenged it in whatever court you challenge that in, and he was deemed a restricted free agent because the first year did not count as an accrued season since he didn't play.

Lattimore could fall into that same boat.

The best I could find was from a 2008 article on the NFLPA site. The information in the new CBA isn't as clear or lengthy as this is for some reason. It's obviously possible they changed this since 2008, though, so this doesn't completely settle the issue but it's the best I could find on the topic without dedicating more time to it.

Credited Seasons: A Credited Season is any season in which a player is on one of the following lists for at least three (3) regular season or post-season games: Active List, Inactive List, Injured Reserve List, or Physically Unable to Perform List (PUP).

A player will also earn a Credited Season if he is released injured and paid the equivalent of at least three (3) game checks. Weeks on the Practice Squad will not count toward a Credited Season.

Earning Credited Seasons entitles you to various benefits under the CBA. For instance, starting in 2000, a player who has earned more than two (2) Credited Seasons in the NFL qualifies to receive severance pay equal to $12,500 per Credited Season when he retires from the NFL. Also, a player with two (2) or more Credited Seasons is eligible to participate in the Second Career Savings Plan. A player with three (3) or more Credited Seasons is eligible to receive a pension starting at age 55. A player with four (4) or more Credited Seasons is able to claim Termination Pay if he is cut in his fifth season or later, and also qualifies for the NFL Player Annuity Program.

Accrued Seasons: An Accrued Season is a season during which a player has been on full pay status (Active, Inactive or Injured Reserve List) for six (6) or more regular season games. However, a player who is on the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, the Reserve Physically Unable to Perform/Non Football Injury List, or the Practice Squad for any of the six (6) qualifying games will not earn an Accrued Season regardless of his pay status.

Earning an Accrued Season entitles a player to advance through the free agency system which governs a player’s negotiating rights once his contract has expired. In a capped year, a player with four (4) or more Accrued Seasons becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent once his contract expires (unless he is designated a Franchise or Transition player – see March 2008 Alert; p. 96). A player with three (3) but less than four (4) Accrued Seasons when his contract expires becomes a Restricted Free Agent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marcus Lattimore expects to practice by mid-season | ProFootballTalk

when you go on the PUP list, must the team designate you mid season or later (week 6 or 11?)? or do you declare week 6 first, and then can decide to keep him there after 6 weeks?

obviously, it is good he can practice now even less than full speed. running the plays and all its adjustments, beats 'mental reps'. helps him pick up blitzes faster by being in on practice reps.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok, found something................note this is from August of 2012.

Injured Reserve: There is one exception to the IR rule, which was implemented this week. Read here about the tweak to the IR rules but one player will be able to return after being placed on IR, with a few restrictions. For the rest of the players, IR means your season is done and you can not be put back on the active roster.

Physically Unable to Perform - Players on the regular season PUP list are eligible to return to action after Week 6. At that point, they can begin practicing with the team, and the team has a three-week window to activate that player or send him to injured reserve. To be eligible for the PUP list, a player must have been on the preseason PUP list and not practicing with his team.

Reserve/Non-Football Injury List - This is essentially the same as the PUP list, except it applies to injuries suffered for something other than football.

Waived/Injured - Teams can waive an injured player, which allows other teams to take a risk and claim that player on the waiver wire. If players clear waivers, which most do, their original team can then either put him on injured reserve or reach an injury settlement to part ways.

Practice Squad - On Sept. 1, the day after final roster cuts are due, teams can fill out an eight-man practice squad. To be eligible for the practice squad, a player must not have an accrued season of free agent eligibility.

so it makes sense for PUP before Pre-Season, then practice after week 6.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if you're only wondering about the exception to the IR rules.....

The release on the new rules describe how this will work.

1. Only players with a "major injury" who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be reactivated at a later time.

2. A "major injury" is defined as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury.

3. Each team may reactivate only one player placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4. That player must be "designated for return" at the time the club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day's Personnel Notice.

4. Such player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least six weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the Active List if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.

The part about designating a player for a return at the time he is placed on IR should be emphasized; you can't just wait and see on a player.

again, note this is from 2012 so the exact date could be different?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marcus Lattimore - RB - 49ers

Coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters Friday Marcus Lattimore (reserve/NFI, knee) will resume practicing ahead of Week 12.

Lattimore has been begging for the opportunity to get out there with his teammates despite the fact that the Niners have "no plan to have him play" this year. Lattimore is recovering from severe knee and leg injuries. Frank Gore owners don't have to worry about Lattimore's presence until 2014 at soonest.
Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Nov 15 - 3:58 PM

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Glad to hear he'll be able to squeeze in a couple of weeks of practice to knock a little rust off and get a little feel of practicing again.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Glad to hear he'll be able to squeeze in a couple of weeks of practice to knock a little rust off and get a little feel of practicing again.

Sounds like he has been practicing and he wants to get in a game.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys really think this kid is going to be good? Im not so sure. He has to be superman to come back from what he went through and not get hurt again.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys really think this kid is going to be good? Im not so sure. He has to be superman to come back from what he went through and not get hurt again.

We need to redshirt him this year by all means necessary. I would focus on his rehab and working on his agility and upright running style. Next year come back stronger and faster than ever. Gore has 1 very good year left in him in 2014, I would use 2014 to rotate Hunter/Lattimore as my #2 RB. I would cut Dixon and LMJ and bring in DeAnthony Thomas and Isaiah Crowell. I cannot emphasize how big of a mistake it would be to pass up on a talent like Crowell in the late rounds. He is the insurance policy that we need just in case our investment in Lattimore does not pay off:

Isaiah Crowell has been compared to Fred Taylor by his coach - NFL.com

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Hard to say these days since advancements in medicine have made these types of injuries less and less devastating.

I will say having the year off will be a big help because it allows him to get his knees plenty of time to recover and to build back strength in them which will increase his chances of being productive.

I mean you look at RGIII and you could tell his knee is healthy but not at 100% and he would've benefited greatly taking a season off.

Ultimately we really won't know until that first preseason game when he gets in there and starts running and taking hits.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to redshirt him this year by all means necessary. I would focus on his rehab and working on his agility and upright running style. Next year come back stronger and faster than ever. Gore has 1 very good year left in him in 2014, I would use 2014 to rotate Hunter/Lattimore as my #2 RB. I would cut Dixon and LMJ and bring in DeAnthony Thomas and Isaiah Crowell. I cannot emphasize how big of a mistake it would be to pass up on a talent like Crowell in the late rounds. He is the insurance policy that we need just in case our investment in Lattimore does not pay off:

Isaiah Crowell has been compared to Fred Taylor by his coach - NFL.com

I doubt Crowell even makes an NFL roster. He had a highly overrated freshman year that saw him miss a lot of time due to nagging injuries. Crowell's freshman year does not even compare to what Gurley and Marshall did the next year as Freshmen. Crowell came across as a prima donna that believed in his own hype without doing much to prove it his first year at Georgia. I think it's a bit telling that he is not on a Division-I team this year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marcus Lattimore - RB - 49ers

Marcus Lattimore (reserve/NFI, knee) was cleared to resume practicing on Tuesday.

The move starts a 21-day window for the 49ers to activate Lattimore from the NFI list, though that's where he's expected to remain through the end of the season. Lattimore admitted last week that getting cleared to practice would be more about gaining piece of mind heading into 2014 than anything else. Lattimore is a strong "hold" in Dynasty leagues.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Nov 19 - 7:50 PM

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McGahee and Gore did it.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I hope this isn't just more 49er propaganda hoping to defend this pick.

I don't think there is much to defend. We willingly took a risk on him and we did it at a reasonable place. I'm fine with the pick regardless of lattimore's outcome.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is much to defend. We willingly took a risk on him and we did it at a reasonable place. I'm fine with the pick regardless of lattimore's outcome.

Another year though where we didn't get much from the draft