• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mangini

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anytime to add a genius (especially a Mangenius) to the coaching staff, you will certainly be better off!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This has been one of the most painful offseasons I can remember in recent times for any team that I root for in the sports world but this kind of excites me without having more knowledge of how he fits into the structure.

I love everything about Mangini EXCEPT for his track record with player relations. That's the only major concern as a fan I've had with him in any sort of major role. If Fangio departs that'll only be the major concern I'd have IF they'd decide to elevate Mangini to defensive coordinator. I know he's starting out on offense. Although, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be a short term hire either.

The media world lost one of the best in the business, though, if he's completely done with those responsibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This has been one of the most painful offseasons I can remember in recent times for any team that I root for in the sports world

Is that just because of Crabby's achilies injury or did you not like the personnel decisions? Because I was practically doing cartwheels during the draft & LOVED the Dorsey & Nnamdi signings. Not to mention the Boldin trade. There were some guys I would've loved if the Niners pursued (DHB, Jammer, Seymour), but overall I'm extremely happy with the offseason.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This has been one of the most painful offseasons I can remember in recent times for any team that I root for in the sports world but this kind of excites me without having more knowledge of how he fits into the structure.

I love everything about Mangini EXCEPT for his track record with player relations. That's the only major concern as a fan I've had with him in any sort of major role. If Fangio departs that'll only be the major concern I'd have IF they'd decide to elevate Mangini to defensive coordinator. I know he's starting out on offense. Although, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be a short term hire either.

The media world lost one of the best in the business, though, if he's completely done with those responsibilities.

I think the player relation issue is only an issue if he was in the role of head coach.

Mangini's issues were more issues of him not knowing how to be in control and manage a team.

As a position coach or coordinator he can more or less be himself and doesn't have to worry about having to be that "leader of men" so to speak that head coaches need to be.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lines like this always make me laugh:

Mangini has ties to 49ers general manager Trent Baalke, who was a personnel scout for the New York Jets in 1998-99 while Mangini was a defensive assistant.

They worked for the same team in completely unrelated capacities almost 15 years ago......even if they'd worked side-by-side 15 years ago they'd barely have a connection, let alone in two different departments. Just about everyone in the NFL is connected to this extent.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is that just because of Crabby's achilies injury or did you not like the personnel decisions? Because I was practically doing cartwheels during the draft & LOVED the Dorsey & Nnamdi signings. Not to mention the Boldin trade. There were some guys I would've loved if the Niners pursued (DHB, Jammer, Seymour), but overall I'm extremely happy with the offseason.

Not everything single thing has been awful. It's just the lows have taken me so low as a fan.

Losing Tom Gamble to Philadelphia was the most painful thing thus far. It's wrong that more 49ers fans don't and didn't know about him and the handprint he had on the organization and on Baalke specifically, according to those who follow the team. It's always possible someone will step up and fill that void but I don't see it right now.

Crabtree falls just behind the Gamble news. That hit me hard and I'm not even close to the biggest Crabtree guy around. The fact that none of the wide receivers I was SCREAMING for this year were taken/signed by the 49ers hit me so hard because I deeply wanted an upgrade at WR this year and the fact that Crabtree now goes down makes me sick to my stomach.

I deeply wanted the 49ers future at WR and RB brought in this offseason and there were SO many options I loved this year. The fact that so many of the 49ers rivals took the guys I wanted makes it hurt even worse. I wanted another CB added but I'll get into that later. I'll show you how many of these picks I'm talking about:

DeAndre Hopkins to Houston (favorite WR this year)

Aaron Dobson to New England

Tavon Austin to St. Louis (Although, trading to 8 was high and alot in my opinion)

Keenan Allen to San Diego

Aaron Mellette to Baltimore

Ace Sanders to Jacksonville (JAX not so much a rival obviously but AS a favorite of mine)

Cobi Hamilton to Cincinnati

Charles Johnson to Green Bay

Terrance Williams to Cowboys

Eddie Lacy to Green Bay (Nightmarish)

Montee Ball to Denver (Arrrrgh!)

Stepfan Taylor to Arizona. WITH Bruce Arians, who was one of my favorite HC candidates left available. Awful news.

Spencer Ware to Seattle IF he gets time at RB (not FB), which he should in my opinion but I hope he doesn't. He could be a top 10 back in the NFL in my opinion.

Le'Veon Bell to Pittsburgh (Would've had slight interest had he fallen later but he's a great fit for Pittsburgh's offense).

Mike James (Bucs) and Theo Riddick (Lions) were underrated additions as well and could surprise in my opinion, though they wouldn't have been fits with the 49ers. There were a number of UDFA RBs/WRs I didn't like see signed elsewhere either but I won't get into that.

That's 14-16 names over two positions that were added that I either didn't like or flat out could not stand to see. The fact that Hopkins, Dobson, Lacy, Ball, Taylor, and Ware are all elsewhere hurts BIG because I think those guys specifically have good chances to be very, very good.

-------------------

I'm willing to keep an open mind on the next two names and I could EASILY be shown to be an idiot on this but the Glenn Dorsey and Craig Dahl signings, while cheap, didn't do anything for me going into the year.

Colt McCoy is one of my LEAST favorite players to EVER enter the NFL. I usually don't say things that make me sound like a child but I told some friends that if Colt McCoy ever developed into a top 20 NFL QB, as decided on by some folks we know, I would legally change my name to Colt McCoy. I don't see him as a capable, solid, or steady number two option for any team. I don't want him as a 2, a 3, a 4, or a 5. Even if that team has Greg Roman (maybe my favorite person in the organization now) and Jim Harbaugh, who I'm still not completely all in with yet either.

Adam Snyder, while obviously versatile and intelligent in the coaches eyes, still terrifies me. I probably should give him more of a benefit than I do because so many of the coaches speak so highly of him but even for relative peanuts I wasn't a huge fan of seeing him brought back.

Some FAs I'd have liked to see added that went elsewhere: Sean Smith, Chris Houston, Heyward-Bey, Nate Kaeding (retirement), Jerome Simpson, Tracy Porter. I may be forgetting some. My brain is starting to give out on me.

I did not like losing Ginn without a great replacement despite just finally starting to take one foot off his bandwagon towards the end of the year.

Sopoaga has been one of my favorite Niners in the past decade so that was sad to see him go but maybe impossible to have kept him financially.

--------------------------

Now for some of the good things.

This year they actually took three players I liked (Reid, Carradine, and Lemonier). Although, Reid, Carradine, and Lemonier weren't at the top of my own list when they were chosen but they were in the discussion. While I'm not overly thrilled with Lattimore, I can live with the pick. He's an absolute gem as a person and worker so that part has me encouraged. Never thought once he'd ever be special but I can live with the pick. The rest I have many, many questions on, though, especially McDonald, Patton, and Daniels, who I think was as close to a wasted pick late in the draft as there was but we'll see.

Anquan Boldin and Nnamdi Asomugha were solid and I'll give them some credit there for those moves even though it wouldn't shock me to see Nnamdi not have one bit left in him either.

Phil Dawson may have been my favorite REALISTIC kicking option left after Kaeding was forced to retire. That one really surprised me. He's not worth doing backflips over but in a crop of just so/so names, he may have been my favorite realistic choice.

Finally I'm brought back to the Mangini addition. I view him as one of the most thoughtful and articulate men associated with the NFL and I think he has an impressive feel for many things in today's NFL outside of player development, player interaction, and things of that sort. He's easily one of my favorite things that's happened this offseason barring something unforeseen with his job title and responsibilities.

I'd have a better, more optimistic take on this offseason if the lows wouldn't have hit me so hard but a lot of bad things happened this offseason that's going to be hard to forget. I'm sure I forgot many others that would build my case even better but that's about as good as I can do for now.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Things are easy when you are on the bottom... You have nowhere to go but up! Staying on top (or atleast in the discussion) requires a ton of balance. Every team out there will do what they have to do to pick you apart. Whether its blatant sabotage (legally) or the fact that every team on the bottom is trying to copy the success of the top teams. Players are plucked from the roster at higher then normal prices, and it goes back to trying to balance and guage what is most important. All it takes, is one wrong move, one vital card pulled and the whole house falls...

Yep, its good to be on top! :P

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What do you think the odds are of Mangini becoming the OFFENSIVE coordinator if / when Roman gets a HC gig? I could see it being possible with him having an entire year to be the offensive consultant.

Either way, it should help with his experience in the AFC when the Niners play the Ravens in the Super Bowl next year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think the odds are of Mangini becoming the OFFENSIVE coordinator if / when Roman gets a HC gig? I could see it being possible with him having an entire year to be the offensive consultant.

Either way, it should help with his experience in the AFC when the Niners play the Ravens in the Super Bowl next year.

The odds are very good

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zero percent chance.

He's a freaking consultant. Most likely to offer a defensive perspective to the offense. Like what he thinks a defense would play Niners offense.

He has no playcalling ability for an NFL offense. You would really offer the keys to your shiny new QB in a complicated offense to a defensive guy??? Cmon man.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Zero percent chance.

He's a freaking consultant. Most likely to offer a defensive perspective to the offense. Like what he thinks a defense would play Niners offense.

He has no playcalling ability for an NFL offense. You would really offer the keys to your shiny new QB in a complicated offense to a defensive guy??? Cmon man.

He's been a head coach in the NFL twice before you know. After a year working with Roman, I don't see why it wouldn't at least be possible for a guy with his chops to be an OC. O-lineman coaches & QB coaches come in and replace OCs all the time, and they've never called plays before.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think he's very mediocre, and has only been carried by other coaches in the past. He's got a 33-48 career record as a head coach, and is the prototypical captain obvious analyst there ever was on ESPN. What exactly does he bring to the table again?

This news was like...49ers hire Eric Mangini!

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been a head coach in the NFL twice before you know. After a year working with Roman, I don't see why it wouldn't at least be possible for a guy with his chops to be an OC. O-lineman coaches & QB coaches come in and replace OCs all the time, and they've never called plays before.

So being a HC qualifies him as a OC now??? So working 1 year with Roman is worthy enough to entrust the offense to him? And is he working with Roman on the offense?? I don't think so. He's probably giving the defensive perspective to the offense.

And you just mentioned O-lineman and QB coaches. Know what the difference between those guys and Mangini? They work on the offensive side of the ball.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh it was the teams now...Who brought him up in the Browns organization again?

Yes it was the teams. He had a winning season with Chad china doll Pennington & then Chad got hurt the next year. Then he had a winning season with a washed up & vastly overrated Brett Favre. None of those teams had much of a defense at all.

After that he went to a team no human being on earth could have coached to a winning record. Again, the Browns were stupid to get rid of him. I think the Jets were too; I think Rex Ryan inherited a potential SB team and let the offense go to crap.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Being an unsuccessful head coach doesn't mean you're not good at the Xs and Os aspect of the game.

Dick LeBeau was 12-33 as a head coach with the Bengals. But I doubt anyone would question his abilities as a defensive coordinator though.

What he brings to the table is a defensive perspective to the offensive meetings which could bring up some new insights. The more qualified eyes you have looking at film the better imo.

If I'm Harbaugh I'm having Mangini be the opposing teams DC and having him tell the offensive staff how he would attack our offense with the opposing teams defense. If you have a good idea on how a defense is going to attack you than you have a good idea on how to counter it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 49ers webzone is certainly excited about this, lol. 10 different stories about Mangini being hired as a consultant.