• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mangini

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Mangini would be assisting the offense in ways to deal with certain defenses they'll be facing.

Considering public enemy #1 runs a 3-4 (Baltimore), I like it.

Fortunately, we won't be playing the Ravens in 2013 (I possibility of a SB rematch is astronomically unlikely), but if it were to happen I'm sure Mangini could offer his opinion. That said, I don't think we need his opinion. But, as I mentioned in my previous post, I get the sense the hiring may be an insurance move.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading this article I wonder if hiring Mangini is insurance against losing Fangio next off-season.

I feel like it is... Harbaugh and Baalke probably lost some confidence in Donatell as a possible successor. Rightfully so after the secondary fell apart in the playoffs.

Assuming of course Donatell was ever on the radar as the next man up, I assume he is because the 49ers denied other teams the chance to interview him for open DC spots.

I'm still kind of intrigued by Donatell because if you go to PFR and look at team stats for the Packers and Falcons, they follow the same pattern with him as DC. The year before they sucked, his 1st year they improved a lot and then the year after he was fired they dropped significantly.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it is... Harbaugh and Baalke probably lost some confidence in Donatell as a possible successor. Rightfully so after the secondary fell apart in the playoffs.

Assuming of course Donatell was ever on the radar as the next man up, I assume he is because the 49ers denied other teams the chance to interview him for open DC spots.

I'm still kind of intrigued by Donatell because if you go to PFR and look at team stats for the Packers and Falcons, they follow the same pattern with him as DC. The year before they sucked, his 1st year they improved a lot and then the year after he was fired they dropped significantly.

We are clearly 'creating' this position for Mangini so, despite not having a formal position for him, we want him [off the market] for some reason. Maybe we are planning to trade Donatell?

As for his past, there seems to be a story in there somewhere.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bring in gruden as a consultant too

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are clearly 'creating' this position for Mangini so, despite not having a formal position for him, we want him [off the market] for some reason. Maybe we are planning to trade Donatell?

As for his past, there seems to be a story in there somewhere.

Probably isn't as devious as that, haha. Just good NFL practice. Don't forget that Fangio was a consultant for the Ravens from 2006-2010, coming off a long stretch of being a DC since 1995 for the Panthers, Colts, and Texans. I mean, they called him a "special assistant", but pretty much the same thing as a consultant.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like he's taking anyone else's job. They're just looking to make him a consultant at this point.

I don't want his counsel at all... the guy is overrated IMO...

He's great at breaking it down for fans at ESPN but the guy shouldn't be trusted. What's his real worth? he couldn't hold on to either HC job in NY & CLE....

So far whoever's voice or decision making being made has done wonders for us and why bring in Mangini? For me, it's bogus and not needed. He can only weaken what we have if he were to provide advice or "intel" i mean, we just lost a SB, we're a contender... we're not a 1-15 club in need of advice...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what if his consultation comes helps us?

And like Sick said he's not taking anyone job and if he does he would only take it if someone left the staff.

He was also part of the glory days of the Pat's defense back in the early 2000's.

I think you need to separate Mangini the head coach from Mangini the position/coordinator.

Just because he wasn't head coaching material doesn't mean he can't be an effective position coach or even coordinator.

This is all Harbaugh's team and the coaches will fall in line with what he wants or they'll fall out of it.

well my beef is what consultation can he provide? we've been drafting very well on a overall level, we're pretty good at personnel in players n coaches.... what can he do to "improve" us? IMO, his advice could only weaken seeing we're at a top level already...

the only thing needed to improve is either game perforamnce/execution or playcalls... we were one scoring drive away from the big 6!!!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can always argue what calls were called by Harbs & Co. during the games on sundays...

but I cannot argue the overall results...

year 1 = NFC title gm
year 2 = SuperBowl
year 3 = TBD

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably isn't as devious as that, haha. Just good NFL practice. Don't forget that Fangio was a consultant for the Ravens from 2006-2010, coming off a long stretch of being a DC since 1995 for the Panthers, Colts, and Texans. I mean, they called him a "special assistant", but pretty much the same thing as a consultant.

Probably not - But, so, Fangio was a 'consultant' with the Ravens from 2006-2010??? Hmmm, I'm sensing a Harbaugh conspiracy with all this 'consultant stuff' lol!

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangini was the guy who drafted the defensive players that built the Jets defense to being great a few years ago. It was Fat ass Rex that drafted the players to turn the Jets into a laughing stock. He was the one who wanted to draft Revis. He was also the guy who built the Patriots defense to being one of the best and it won the super bowls not Brady, who at the time was only a game manager. They relied on great defense and getting points from Vinatieri kicking clutch FGs late in games and running a lot with Corey Dillon.

I can see this as a good move

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
After reading this article I wonder if hiring Mangini is insurance against losing Fangio next off-season.

I think it's more insurance against Donatell leaving to be DC than Fangio becoming a HC.

Donatell is way closer to leaving than Fangio is and if last offseason was any indication Fangio will have a tough time getting interest in an HC job since teams seem to want the offensive minded guys at HC and not the defensive ones.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
well my beef is what consultation can he provide? we've been drafting very well on a overall level, we're pretty good at personnel in players n coaches.... what can he do to "improve" us? IMO, his advice could only weaken seeing we're at a top level already...

the only thing needed to improve is either game perforamnce/execution or playcalls... we were one scoring drive away from the big 6!!!

His job would be to assist the offense in breaking down and attacking defenses and that's it.

It's never a bad thing to have an extra set of eyes and a different perspective in those brainstorming sessions that might notice things or offer insight the other coaches haven't thought of.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangini could be a good DC for us in a couple years if Vic leaves. I dont think he is a good head coach but as far as a DC goes, he know his sh1t. Again the 49ers org is always a step ahead of everyone else

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more insurance against Donatell leaving to be DC than Fangio becoming a HC.

Donatell is way closer to leaving than Fangio is and if last offseason was any indication Fangio will have a tough time getting interest in an HC job since teams seem to want the offensive minded guys at HC and not the defensive ones.

Yeah, ThreeBirds also mentioned Donatell, so, perhaps something in the works with Ed. In any case I still think it is an insurance play as much or more than anything else.

In today's 'Coordinator today Head Coach tomorrow' league, hiring depth at critical coaching positions, if you can afford it, is pure genius. I can't say I'm crazy about the candidate we chose but if my instincts are right about what we are doing here then I absolutely love the strategy.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harbaugh is prolly worried about losing fangio after we win the super bowl. plus harbaugh is an offensive guy, so a guy like mangini would be a good replacement for fangio.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
harbaugh is prolly worried about losing fangio after we win the super bowl. plus harbaugh is an offensive guy, so a guy like mangini would be a good replacement for fangio.

I think Donatell would get the DC job if Fangio left with Mangini sliding in as the secondary coach.

The reason you hire Mangini and why he might make a good consultant is due to his job with ESPN he's kept his nose in film and studied film of all the teams.

And secondly what the offensive staff would do is ask Mangini to study the opposing defense and ask if he was the defensive coordinator for let's say the Packers how would he attack our offense with their defense and ask in what ways can they be exploited.

If you can figure out how an your opponent is going to attack you it gives you a massive edge over them.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
At first I liked the prospect of bringing in Mangini, but the more I think about it I absolutely love the move. He can spend his time watching the Ravens, Seahwaks, Giants, Vikings & Pats and look for the chinks in the armour.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Big fan of the move. Barrows makes some good points too. Harbaugh's coaching tree is going to be pretty impressive in ten years if he keeps recruiting candidates like he has been.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great move. Now when Fangio moves to be a head coach they got their great DC.