• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mangini

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Jets head coach Eric Mangini, currently a broadcast analyst, has been in talks with the 49ers about a consulting position

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He always striked me as the type that really wanted to get back into coaching and I think he would view this as his window in.

Ed Donatell basically has one foot out the door and I would be surprised if he isn't DC somewhere next year which would leave the door wide open for Mangini to step right in as secondary coach.

Also would fit in what Harbaugh likes to do with his coaching staff and have guys that are promotable within.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Mangini is coming to the 49ers to learn how to be a player's coach... lol, certainly needs some help after reading how he allowed his staff to treat McCoy like a redheaded stepchild.

It is going to suck to have the coaching staff split up, but I am glad that the 49ers were able to keep the gang together for at least 3 years. That coordinator carousel for the 6-7 years before Harbaugh was horrible.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I am not worried at all. We have guys already lined up as potential candidates for most major positions so it really doesn't bother me as much. Yes, I like Roman and his offensive creativeness, but we have been letting Cryst (sp?) call offensive plays already and Rathman has been coaching RBs in a couple different systems and has been successful whereever he has been. Solari is not a HC guy so our offensive foundation is still there. Defensively, I don't see Vic Fangio a HC at either college or the pros. He seems like a Dick LeBeau type, never makes the next jump but makes a good living being #2. Tomsula seems uninterested in other jobs. Donatell is the only one that may be jumping ship, but our coaching staff of football intellectuals theoretically would be a great reputation to have on a resumé so I don't think we would be hard-pressed to get ambitious young defensive minds in that place. If we lost both OC and DC all at once that may be a problem but if we only have minimal moving parts each year and strong apprenticeship behind each spot, we will surely be better off.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I always liked Mangini. I thought the Browns were stupid for firing him; nobody could've gotten that craptastic team to win.

I'm glad to hear this. I think he could help out the organization.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh speaks with Ladouceur, Mangini about consultant roles | CSN Bay Area

There are a LOT of wild football people out there who swear by Ladouceur and the mind he has.

Mangini would be on a shorter list of guys I'd like as DC down the road. On a separate topic on Mangini. He's an absolute delight as a media person in a world where there are a LOT of flat out terrible people who have a voice, so that would be unfortunate to lose him in that forum.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Good point about the DC position. Fangio won't be a coordinator for too much longer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I don't even have the courtesy to spell courtesy right the first time. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Mangini. I thought the Browns were stupid for firing him; nobody could've gotten that craptastic team to win.

I'm glad to hear this. I think he could help out the organization.

Harbaugh speaks with Ladouceur, Mangini about consultant roles | CSN Bay Area

There are a LOT of wild football people out there who swear by Ladouceur and the mind he has.

Mangini would be on a shorter list of guys I'd like as DC down the road. On a separate topic on Mangini. He's an absolute delight as a media person in a world where there are a LOT of flat out terrible people who have a voice, so that would be unfortunate to lose him in that forum.

I won't claim to know anything about good coaching personnel (the obvious ones are obvious), but I always wanted him to get back into coaching. I thought he was very knowledgeable when it came to what insight he gave to ESPN, he reminds me of my college professor who wrote a recommendation for me to law school, and reminds me of my brother's father in law, a former representative in Michigan. I know those aren't football reasons, just I wanted him to get back into coaching. I will miss him on ESPN because sometimes he credibly corrects Skip on FirstTake if I ever find myself watching that for no good reason.

Now, Gruden, people want back into coaching to get him out of the media. ;)

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont want Mangini anywhere near us... don't fix what's not broken!!!!!!!!!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
dont want Mangini anywhere near us... don't fix what's not broken!!!!!!!!!

But what if his consultation comes helps us?

And like Sick said he's not taking anyone job and if he does he would only take it if someone left the staff.

He was also part of the glory days of the Pat's defense back in the early 2000's.

I think you need to separate Mangini the head coach from Mangini the position/coordinator.

Just because he wasn't head coaching material doesn't mean he can't be an effective position coach or even coordinator.

This is all Harbaugh's team and the coaches will fall in line with what he wants or they'll fall out of it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Word is Mangini would be assisting the offense in ways to deal with certain defenses they'll be facing.

Considering public enemy #1 runs a 3-4 (Baltimore), I like it.