• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Managing the Cap!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to call it a way of life. The bonus is it helps me deal with people like you...
The fat, drunk, and stupid way of life.
Helping jarntt cope everyday since 1996.
:dhd:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure you said the same about the eagles this year.

And the year before that.

And the previous year.

And the year before that.

Did I mention the Super Bowl winning year.:suds:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All he did was move the problem out a couple of years. It's 3rd grade Math. I don't get why so many can't understand it. In 5 minutes I can clear $30M off the 2019 Cowboys salary cap. That doesn't mean there was or wasn't a problem to begin with. I could literally take your quotes and compare them to what Cowboy fans said for years and then we stopped being able to sign FAs and they understood. Thank God we drafted well.

Since you keep bringing it up. I've been waiting about a month for you to tell me this magical move Howie did where he made money not hit the salary cap. Remember you had to run out but you were going to give me the breakdown later? You don't even know what it is your own GM has actually been good at. If you want to know I'll tell you.

I did tell you.

I wonder why the author didn’t put you ahead of the Eagles as the best cap managers.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because it's the exact same problem. Look at the contract structure of Jackson, Jackson and Graham. Being a cap guru doesn't include putting 8% of a 3 year contract's cap hit in year one, 34% in year two and 58% in year 3. That called being Jerry Jones before they took the reins away from him.
Actually it can. Knowing when to put the biggest chunks is exactly part of being a good gm.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did tell you.

I wonder why the author didn’t put you ahead of the Eagles as the best cap managers.
Anyone with a calculator can kick the can down the road.

You did??? Please give us all the specifics on what exactly, in detail, Howie did that allowed the Eagles to circumvent the cap and have dollars that would have otherwise hit the capo, not hit the cap. Again, please give details and be specific.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it can. Knowing when to put the biggest chunks is exactly part of being a good gm.
At least you admit all he is screwing future years to help the current year from a cap perspective. While I disagree that it is ever a good idea to do that, unless you have an aging team and are going all in, I at least can respect your opinion that it can be good for this team, this year for whatever reason. But it is indeed just kicking the can down the road

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you admit all he is screwing future years to help the current year from a cap perspective. While I disagree that it is ever a good idea to do that, unless you have an aging team and are going all in, I at least can respect your opinion that it can be good for this team, this year for whatever reason. But it is indeed just kicking the can down the road
I didn't admit he was screwing future years. Different players are going to have different cap hits in different years. A good gm isn't going to try to have every player have an even cap hit throughout knowing that certain players are going to need big money at different times. You said they were screwed this year and were wrong. Do you really want to bark up that tree every single year?

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, done by agents eh'. Of course they lean towards teams that pay high for free agents.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't admit he was screwing future years. Different players are going to have different cap hits in different years. A good gm isn't going to try to have every player have an even cap hit throughout knowing that certain players are going to need big money at different times. You said they were screwed this year and were wrong. Do you really want to bark up that tree every single year?
Then you are wrong. He is pushing every players cap hit out into the same outer years. When we get to those years he will do the same again until it becomes unsustainable. At that point you either draft incredibly well or your fucked. The cap is never a one year issue.

No, I said they will be forced to get rid of players or kick the can down the road this year if they wanted to sign anyone because they didn't have the cap space to operate any other way. Guess what they did?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was your 6th grade teacher hot?
maxresdefault.jpg

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you are wrong. He is pushing every players cap hit out into the same outer years. When we get to those years he will do the same again until it becomes unsustainable. At that point you either draft incredibly well or your fucked. The cap is never a one year issue.

No, I said they will be forced to get rid of players or kick the can down the road this year if they wanted to sign anyone because they didn't have the cap space to operate any other way. Guess what they did?
Right. Let's revisit next year and you can explain to me how screwed they are in 2021.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Let's revisit next year and you can explain to me how screwed they are in 2021.
read again:
"When we get to those years he will do the same again until it becomes unsustainable."

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? I can tell you right now there is no shot in Hell you get under the cap enough to be a player in free agency in the next couple of years without kicking the can further down the road or cutting guys. :noidea: