• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manager of the Year

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want a manager that led his team to 85 wins and missed the playoffs to receive votes? :laugh3: A manager that is held to higher standards than that? I don't care about the injuries. Lots of teams deal with injuries and win more than that. Another Yankee homer.

If the team had been under .500 the year before 85 wins would be a definite improvement.

What's a Manager Of The Year supposed to do aside from helping improve his team?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... you clearly have no clue what the Manager of the Year award is all about, nor do you know how to evaluate managers. Managers who don't make the playoffs get votes all the time. They often win too.

Leyland's team actually underachieved. Girardi's team overachieved. But Leyland was better? On what planet? You're just going to evaluate them based off of playoff standing?

Girardi's lineup for the better part of 3 months included:
Robinson Cano
Brett Gardner
Ichiro Suzuki's maggot infested corpse
What's left of Travis Hafner
Vernon Wells
Chris Stewart
Lyle Overbay
Eduardo Nunez
David Adams/Chris Nelson/Kevin Youkilis in a wheelchair

I actually predicted they'd win 84 games before the Spring Training started (i.e. before all the injuries). The team won 85 games and was in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season.

I'd have Girardi 3rd on my ballot behind Melvin and Francona.

What's you basis for putting Girardi ahead of Farrell who took the Red Sox from last to first. You can't deny the Red Sox overachieved this season. Putting Girardi ahead of Farrell is insane.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team had been under .500 the year before 85 wins would be a definite improvement.

What's a Manager Of The Year supposed to do aside from helping improve his team?

The Yankees were above .500 last season so not sure what you are saying.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if Leyland had "the best second baseman in baseball" Aaron Hill, he could have won on talent alone. But for some reason having 6 All Stars and the best starting rotation in baseball (basically, arguably, most likely)and squeeking past Cleveland is Manager Of The Year worthy. Ron Washington is just as deserving of votes as JL and he could end up getting shit canned for not living up to expectations. Leyland should come in third, at best, in AL Central Manager of the Year voting. (If only it existed)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know postseason isn't really considered, but the way Hurdle handled his club's emotions for tonight's game is just another example of how well he keeps his team focused during big moments. The 81st win, the 82nd win, clinching the playoffs, getting homefield in the play-in game, and now this playoff game.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if Leyland had "the best second baseman in baseball" Aaron Hill, he could have won on talent alone. But for some reason having 6 All Stars and the best starting rotation in baseball (basically, arguably, most likely)and squeeking past Cleveland is Manager Of The Year worthy. Ron Washington is just as deserving of votes as JL and he could end up getting shit canned for not living up to expectations. Leyland should come in third, at best, in AL Central Manager of the Year voting. (If only it existed)

Didn't realize my Aaron Hill comment would become such a big hit on here.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want a manager that led his team to 85 wins and missed the playoffs to receive votes? :laugh3: A manager that is held to higher standards than that? I don't care about the injuries. Lots of teams deal with injuries and win more than that. Another Yankee homer.

The majority of baseball witters have Girardi in their top 5.

Either you're stirring shit or you're too dumb to bother with.

:lame:

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's you basis for putting Girardi ahead of Farrell who took the Red Sox from last to first. You can't deny the Red Sox overachieved this season. Putting Girardi ahead of Farrell is insane.

Actually, the Red Sox were only slightly better than I or any other knowledgable fan expected them to be. They drastically underachieved the past two seasons. This year, they "achieved". They had an outstanding offseason and had a deep, balanced lineup and an outstanding bullpen coming into the season. The wild card was their starting pitching. Well, their starting pitching did well, and they made a good trade to get Peavy. I picked them to make the playoffs coming into the season, but they did win more games than I expected them to, and they took the division. Farrell had a great year and deserves a lot of credit, but he definitely had a ton more to work with than Girardi, Francona or Melvin did.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When has that ever been a requirement for Manager of the Year? It's often the manager who does the most with the least. Girardi is at the top of that list this year. Not saying he should win it, but he most definitely should get consideration.

Never said he wasn't on the list. There are guys above him, that is why he WON'T win it.

Francona---no question
Farrell
Melvin---no question

Then Girardi

All ahead of him.IMO

Last edited by a moderator: