• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Man on man who are you gonna take?

Who would you take in man on man coverage?

• Total voters

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS

C. Johnson 3 46 15.3 0 25 8

Sherman

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe no one has asked this question yet...

Who is the QB? Stafford? Nope, he'd be injured :lol:

I don't care who the WR is, if you have Kaep throwing the ball Sherman's probably picking it off.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS

C. Johnson 3 46 15.3 0 25 8

Sherman

What are you trying to say by this? Looking at how Johnson did against the Seahawks in one game is not really an indicator of how he would do one-on-one with a certain player. First off since Sherman most of the time plays one side of the field how much was he actually matched up with Johnson? How often in this game was Johnson double or triple covered? Most teams know how to eliminate one player from a game. In doing so though it usually opens things up for another player or two. That is the choice teams are left with.

So again hard to judge how a player would do one-on-one with another player. I remember a few years ago when the Broncos played the Lions. 4-years earlier Johnson only had 3 catches for 47 yards against the Broncos and had safety help over the top with Champ covering him. They decided in 2011 that Champ could take him one-on-one and he exploded for 125 yards in the game and a touchdown. At that time Champ was regarded as a top-5 Corner in the league if not still in the discussion for top corner in the league.

The NFL truly has made it where even if a Corner is equal in playing ability with that of a receiver the receiver still has the advantage because of the rules these days. This truly is nothing against Sherman as he truly is an amazing player in this league. We are talking though about a HOF WR in Johnson with all the rules favoring him in a one-on-one situation.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you trying to say by this? Looking at how Johnson did against the Seahawks in one game is not really an indicator of how he would do one-on-one with a certain player. First off since Sherman most of the time plays one side of the field how much was he actually matched up with Johnson? How often in this game was Johnson double or triple covered? Most teams know how to eliminate one player from a game. In doing so though it usually opens things up for another player or two. That is the choice teams are left with.

So again hard to judge how a player would do one-on-one with another player. I remember a few years ago when the Broncos played the Lions. 4-years earlier Johnson only had 3 catches for 47 yards against the Broncos and had safety help over the top with Champ covering him. They decided in 2011 that Champ could take him one-on-one and he exploded for 125 yards in the game and a touchdown. At that time Champ was regarded as a top-5 Corner in the league if not still in the discussion for top corner in the league.

The NFL truly has made it where even if a Corner is equal in playing ability with that of a receiver the receiver still has the advantage because of the rules these days. This truly is nothing against Sherman as he truly is an amazing player in this league. We are talking though about a HOF WR in Johnson with all the rules favoring him in a one-on-one situation.

So instead of using the only actual evidence of how they have done against each other we should use conjecture?

FWIW, my post was halfway tongue-in-cheek, but the fact is that Megatron has played the Hawks with Sherman covering him at least part (and probably most) of the time, and he did not have a good game by any standard.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Titus Young torched the Hawks in that game, and I seem to recall a lot of talk afterwards that it was because Sherman was on Megatron most of the game (I don't know one way or the other: I only saw the 1st half and was not focused on who was covering whom.)
On top of the poor # of catches, yards and no TD's he was also targeted 8 times for those 3 catches... that seems like Sherman may have had a lot to do with the poor day, but maybe he just had ET knocking those 5 balls down.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So instead of using the only actual evidence of how they have done against each other we should use conjecture?

FWIW, my post was halfway tongue-in-cheek, but the fact is that Megatron has played the Hawks with Sherman covering him at least part (and probably most) of the time, and he did not have a good game by any standard.

I was meaning that it is tough to use a 1-game example as evidence of how this match up would go down. I didn't watch the game so have no clue how much Sherman was on him one-on-one. Sherman can win that match up as he is one of the few corners in this league that can match up well with such a physical specimen as that of Johnson. I just think with the advantages going Johnson's way he wins that match up 7 out of 10 times. Obviously you can disagree with that and that is fine. Neither of us can really be proven right or wrong at this point.

Again the parameters of this question make a difference as well. This is a very open-ended question that really doesn't even come close to giving us an idea of what the OP had in mind. Is this more like the idea of what you have in training camp where they have the one-on-one drills and no pressure on the quarterback? Is this actual game type situation where the DL is coming after the quarterback? Who is the quarterback? I mean if Peyton Manning is throwing him the football then yes I like Johnson's chances to win the match up a lot more. If a guy like Geno Smith is throwing him the football then I like Sherman to win at least half the match ups if not more. So again hard to really gauge this question.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe no one has asked this question yet...

Who is the QB? Stafford? Nope, he'd be injured :lol:

I don't care who the WR is, if you have Kaep throwing the ball Sherman's probably picking it off.
Its one on one. There is no QB so I'm assuming that Megatron has to run past him like a running back.

#dumbtopic

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard outplays QBs 90% of the time. He plays off just enough to let a QB think they can squeeze one and then capitalizes. He is a ZONE SHUTDOWN CB. There's a HUGE difference between Man and Zone shut down CBs. Peterson COULD come to Seattle and get DEMOLISHED playing zone just like Nnamdi did when he went to Philly.

Pure one on one no CB could consistently stop Calvin. He's too big/fast/ and a playmaker. Only way you 'stop' Calvin is bad QB throws caused by pressure or someone like Sherman baiting the QB. I'd rather have Sherman over Peterson on Calvin because Sherman will probably be able to bait Stafford into throwing a couple dumb picks (which Stafford is always good for). Calvin would get his usual catches against Sherman/Peterson/Haden/Revis, etc.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard outplays QBs 90% of the time. He plays off just enough to let a QB think they can squeeze one and then capitalizes. He is a ZONE SHUTDOWN CB. There's a HUGE difference between Man and Zone shut down CBs. Peterson COULD come to Seattle and get DEMOLISHED playing zone just like Nnamdi did when he went to Philly.

Pure one on one no CB could consistently stop Calvin. He's too big/fast/ and a playmaker. Only way you 'stop' Calvin is bad QB throws caused by pressure or someone like Sherman baiting the QB. I'd rather have Sherman over Peterson on Calvin because Sherman will probably be able to bait Stafford into throwing a couple dumb picks (which Stafford is always good for). Calvin would get his usual catches against Sherman/Peterson/Haden/Revis, etc.

Sherman plays man defense too. The Hawks play C-1 just as often as they play C-3.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron and it's not even close. No really, it's not even close to being close to close.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules favor the offense. Megatron.

:croc:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron.

Problem is man-on-man would never happen. Sherman would be getting All-Pro safety help over the top.

Agreed 100%

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron.

Problem is man-on-man would never happen. Sherman would be getting All-Pro safety help over the top.

Actually I feel it would never happen because the Lions are going put Calvin on the side Sherman doesn't defend. Won't any OC do that with their #1? Now that is the side Thomas is giving help over the top.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Calvin. That has more to do with todays NFL favoring the offense. How often would any team really try and match up 1 on 1 with him anyways?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I feel it would never happen because the Lions are going put Calvin on the side Sherman doesn't defend. Won't any OC do that with their #1? Now that is the side Thomas is giving help over the top.

You haven't heard Harold? The Seahawks defensive scheme puts their only deep safety over the top of their best corner every play.....oh, and apparently its always #2 receivers that get all this attention.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron would outrun him in a heartbeat, would overpower him in a heartbeat, but if he didn't he would just jump over him.

All signs point to Megatron.

You can say Sherman would win playing the zone, but this is man vs man. But one is a beast and the other is a man

Last edited by a moderator:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Johnson is 6'5" and runs a 4.35 in the 40 yard dash.

Richard Sherman is 6'3" and runs a 4.54 in the 40 yard dash.

With the stats in Tron's favor and the fact that he and his QB know where he is going, make him lethal to Sherman's defensive prowess.