• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Malik Jackson To Jacksonville

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A day before the official start of free agency, the best available player already appears to have his next team lined up.

We noted yesterday that former Broncos defensive lineman Malik Jackson could sign with the Jaguars, and today Mike Klis of 9 News in Denver reports that Jackson and the Jaguars are finalizing a deal. Jackson confirmed to Josina Anderson of ESPN that he plans to sign with the Jaguars.

Although the Jaguars can’t officially sign Jackson until the start of free agency tomorrow, they’re allowed to talk now, and it appears that they’re on the same page.

Jackson is the No. 4 player in our Free Agent Hot 100, and the only player in the Top 10 who hasn’t either already re-signed with his current team or been restricted with a franchise or transition tag.

According to the report, the deal will make Jackson the fourth-highest paid defensive lineman in the NFL.

The Broncos had hoped to keep Jackson, but that was always a long shot, given the other free agents they need to re-sign, including outside linebacker Von Miller and quarterback Brock Osweiler. The Raiders were also believed to be very interested in Jackson’s services, and Jackson’s former coach John Fox also wanted Jackson in Chicago.

But in the end, the Jaguars appear set to land their man. The Broncos’ Super Bowl-winning defense will take a hit, and the Jaguars will get one of the NFL’s best defensive linemen.

Malik Jackson finalizing deal with Jaguars

Got the Superbowl ring, now gets warm weather and a nice pay day from a crap team.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Best player available"?!?

Jackson is a nice young player but c'mon!

His career is going to look a lot different when he isn't lining up with Ware and Miller.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been a fan of players leaving from a contender to a non-contender for a huge paycheck. It usually just doesn't work and lineman can get fat and lazy when they get paid. Malik likely has no reason to accept a 1 year prove it deal, but we'll see what the contract terms are.

I'm all for signing free agents to 1 year prove it deals.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6y/$90M. As usual....I'll wait to see details.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Malik. He got a ring, might as well get paid while he can.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

And Jacksonville takes the early lead to win the award for the worst contract given during the offseason.

If you thought that was funny.....just saw that $42M of that contract is guaranteed.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacksonville's 2015 Roster for the Broncos

51 Todd Davis
52 Corey Nelson
56 Shane Ray
58 Malik Jackson
94 Demarcus Ware
95 Derek Wolfe
97 Von Miller

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
basically 3 years guaranteed. I do think he got overpaid but thats what always happens. For their sake I hope he plays well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Best player available"?!?

Jackson is a nice young player but c'mon!

His career is going to look a lot different when he isn't lining up with Ware and Miller.

I think the trio of Wolfe, Jackson and Williams are the unheralded hard hat guys on the team...great players in their own right, but you can't dbl the edge guys cuz because those bigs came packing too....collapsing the pocket.

JAX is taking steps, at least they are spending the money...TN has $50m in cap space...I want to see what they do.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the trio of Wolfe, Jackson and Williams are the unheralded hard hat guys on the team...great players in their own right, but you can't dbl the edge guys cuz because those bigs came packing too....collapsing the pocket.

JAX is taking steps, at least they are spending the money...TN has $50m in cap space...I want to see what they do.
I agree. I know we have been waiting for them to take that step and have previously expected it to have but I think this is the year they jump to at least .500. They dont have good matchups outside of their division but their division has many winnable games. I think if that defense is at all better they will get some wins.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I view it the exact opposite. Those interior guys never see doubles because of who is lining up on the outside. Jackson never is going to see the type of single blocks he saw on that loaded front 7 Denver team in Jacksonville.
That isn't going to happen for Malik in Jacksonville without any edge rushers. Team are just going to pack the middle against him and Miller (sneaky good tandem moving forward I will admit).

The long and short of this move: It was a desperation move made by a GM and a coach who don't give a crap about the long term ramifications of anything because neither have a job past next season if they don't win games. It is rare that a GM and coaches moves in their final offseason work out well long term for a team just because of the incredible desperation with which they are made.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to remember that Jacksonville and Oakland both have to spend huge this off season to reach the Cap FLoor that is set at 89% of all cap spent over a 4-year period. So yes they are going to have to overpay not just to bring in players to play for a losing organization but because they absolutely have to spend. So not a bad signing by them getting a quality player in Malik and now having a bit less to spend cap wise. Remember even after signing Malik they still have the most cap space in the NFL.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to remember that Jacksonville and Oakland both have to spend huge this off season to reach the Cap FLoor that is set at 89% of all cap spent over a 4-year period. So yes they are going to have to overpay not just to bring in players to play for a losing organization but because they absolutely have to spend. So not a bad signing by them getting a quality player in Malik and now having a bit less to spend cap wise. Remember even after signing Malik they still have the most cap space in the NFL.
Yeah, Jacksonville was always going to spend money. Bruce Irvin to Jacksonville is also the worst kept rumor in the NFL right now, too, but he has a bigger market with Arizona and Atlanta pushing hard.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

And Jacksonville takes the early lead to win the award for the worst contract given during the offseason.

It doesn't really matter. They had $60+ mil in space. They can afford to overspend.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I view it the exact opposite. Those interior guys never see doubles because of who is lining up on the outside. Jackson never is going to see the type of single blocks he saw on that loaded front 7 Denver team in Jacksonville.
That isn't going to happen for Malik in Jacksonville without any edge rushers. Team are just going to pack the middle against him and Miller (sneaky good tandem moving forward I will admit).

The long and short of this move: It was a desperation move made by a GM and a coach who don't give a crap about the long term ramifications of anything because neither have a job past next season if they don't win games. It is rare that a GM and coaches moves in their final offseason work out well long term for a team just because of the incredible desperation with which they are made.

No question Miller is a stud and Ware is still a very good edge rusher...but the DEF is built inside out. In a traditional 3-4, if you have a good NT...your DEs should not get doubled much unless the OLB on that side is in coverage... if they are, your run DEF is going to suffer.

Your last part I find interesting...I agree they are on the hotseat, call it desperation, sense of urgency, but what else would have them do? They over spent, but I like the aggression...imo the worst thing to be to a fan base is be a bad team with a lot of cap space.