• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MadBum Extension

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both options are worth $12 million each and can escalate to $14 and $16 million. First option vest based off of innings pitch or top 5 in Cy Young voting.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both options are worth $12 million each and can escalate to $14 and $16 million. First option vest based off of innings pitch or top 5 in Cy Young voting.

I thought bonus' were no longer allowed to be tied to awards.?.?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought bonus' were no longer allowed to be tied to awards.?.?

Guess not, if he finishes TOP 3 in Cy Young voting at any time, both options are worth $14 million. If he WINS the Cy Young at any time, both are worth $16 million.

Also has an 8-team no trade clause effective immediately.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum would have to seriously shit the bed for him not to earn Super 2 status - It's practically a forgone conclusion.

A clarification - a "super-2" isn't the *best* 17% of their class - it's the 17% with the most service time (players with at least 2 years, but less than three).

MadBum has one year and 127 days of service time. The "127 days" is on the very low end of those who generally qualify (most years players with the extra 127 don't qualify), and 140 is near the top end (those with 140 days generally do qualify). The year that Timmy became a super-2 the cut-off was 139 days, I believe. It could be that this is a year with fewer players over 140, so the cutoff is small, but we won't know until the end of the season.

It has nothing to do with how well MadBum pitches. The only thing that matters is if he is optioned to the minors for at least 20 days this year, and where the cutoff point turns out to be.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A clarification - a "super-2" isn't the *best* 17% of their class - it's the 17% with the most service time (players with at least 2 years, but less than three).

MadBum has one year and 127 days of service time. The "127 days" is on the very low end of those who generally qualify (most years players with the extra 127 don't qualify), and 140 is near the top end (those with 140 days generally do qualify). The year that Timmy became a super-2 the cut-off was 139 days, I believe. It could be that this is a year with fewer players over 140, so the cutoff is small, but we won't know until the end of the season.

It has nothing to do with how well MadBum pitches. The only thing that matters is if he is optioned to the minors for at least 20 days this year, and where the cutoff point turns out to be.

And I think what he means is if he shits the bed bad enough and is sent to the minors. Maybe. At least thats what I interpreted.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't no where this has anything to do with timmy. Madbum was under team control until 2017.

Because now the team knows exactly how much money is invested in MadBum for the next 5+ years. No guessing involved. And a huge chunk of change has been allocated to MadBum.

And the fact that now his is under team control AT LEAST one extra year, and up to 2 more years, at the Giants discretion.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think what he means is if he shits the bed bad enough and is sent to the minors. Maybe. At least thats what I interpreted.

A shame he lets us guess what he means instead of saying it outright. ;)

As I said, 127 days is a very low cutoff for super-2 status. So I don't think that it is "a foregone conclusion" in any case.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According the Baggs, details of the contract are :

If NOT Super-2, '13-'17: $750K, 3.75m, 6.75m, 9.75m, 11.5m

If IS Super-2, '13-'17: $3M, $5.5 m, $7m, $10m, $12m.

$1m signing bonus, $1.5m opt. buyout.

option years worth $12 million with escalators that can make them worth $14m and $16m.

First option can vest based on IP or top-5 finish in Cy Young balloting.

Must win a Cy Young to escalate options to $16 million in '18 and '19. They go to $14m with top3 finish.

If MadBum ends up being just a solid #3 (and not the #1/#2 he has been showing us), this is a great contract for the Giants (IF he doesn't get injured in the first 5 years). And it's a great contract for a young pitcher who isn't greedy : no matter what happens health-wise, he now can offer a comfortable life to his family for the rest of his life.

This is great news.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because now the team knows exactly how much money is invested in MadBum for the next 5+ years. No guessing involved. And a huge chunk of change has been allocated to MadBum.

And the fact that now his is under team control AT LEAST one extra year, and up to 2 more years, at the Giants discretion.

Yes, I understood that. The Giants simply swapped one kind of risk for another. Given they had control over Bum until 2017 anyway, this does not effect timmy's negotiations.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does seem like we finally got our own version of a Longoria deal. Sure, he makes bank, but "worst" case scenario has him making 16M the last two years of the deal, while eating 2 FA years (these COULD be worth 25-30M on the free market)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum would have to seriously shit the bed for him not to earn Super 2 status - It's practically a forgone conclusion.

I don't think that's necessarily true. According to what I've read, he's NOT likely to be a Super Two. I'll see if I can find the article.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does seem like we finally got our own version of a Longoria deal. Sure, he makes bank, but "worst" case scenario has him making 16M the last two years of the deal, while eating 2 FA years (these COULD be worth 25-30M on the free market)

Yeah. The worst case scenario isn't even the worst case scenario because he would have to win a Cy Young to even get to that point. Of course, career ending injury is the worst case scenario, but that is always the case.:tape2: This is absolutely a win-win.:charlie:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. The worst case scenario isn't even the worst case scenario because he would have to win a Cy Young to even get to that point. Of course, career ending injury is the worst case scenario, but that is always the case. This is absolutely a win-win.

I agree 200%. Injury is the big fear. Remember Noah Lowry (who blamed his injury on the Giants, the little shit).

Hell, I'd happily accept the Giants paying him two $16M option years if he pitches the next 6 or 7 years like he has been, and wins a Cy Young.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. The worst case scenario isn't even the worst case scenario because he would have to win a Cy Young to even get to that point. Of course, career ending injury is the worst case scenario, but that is always the case.:tape2: This is absolutely a win-win.:charlie:

That was kinda my point with quotes around "worst" :)

I did not mention the injury issue, because, like, that wont, like, happen, and stuff...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, 127 days is a very low cutoff for super-2 status. So I don't think that it is "a foregone conclusion" in any case.

Whoops !! I just saw this article :

Giants sign Bumgarner, then reach out to Lincecum, Posey, too

which has this :

Bumgarner’s contract has two structures to account for the uncertainty over whether he will qualify for arbitration after this season as a “super two” player. The top 22 percent of players with two-plus years of service time gain an extra year of arbitration eligibility. (It used to be the top 17 percent under the previous collective bargaining agreement.)

I didn't realize that the new CBA changed the super-2 rule - I didn't see that on any of the previous reports (and I haven't found a copy of it on-line - if anybody does, please post a link). So "127 days" isn't as far-fetched as I thought (before, with 17%, that would have been VERY rare).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kinda my point with quotes around "worst" :)

I did not mention the injury issue, because, like, that wont, like, happen, and stuff...

It was an additive agreement type thing. I'll make it clearer next time with a, "Gee, cal, you're the best!" :whoo: