• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Luongo's deal under investigation

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and by the way

wasnt there supposed to be a gag order on this? sounds to me like Gillis had some info for Botchford here ... lol

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WINGS SAFE: While the 17-year deal between Ilya Kovalchuk and New Jersey has been voided by an arbitrator and the NHL, and the league is looking into the long-term contract of Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo, the Wings have not been contacted recently regarding the long-term deals Henrik Zetterberg (12 years) and Johan Franzen (11 years) signed in 2009. "Last October or November, the league requested and we sent all the paperwork in about the negotiations," Holland said. "Since the Kovalchuk thing, no one has said boo to us about it."

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i havent heard much of about the Kovy contract was the fact that the final couple of years salary were under the current NHL league minimum ... couldnt it have been voided for that reason alone

The final years of Kovy's deal were worth $550,000. The league min this season will be $500,000 and it will be $525,000 in 2011-12.

The arbitrator mentioned how it's reasonable to assume the $550,000 will be well below the league minimum at the time he would have made the salary though.

But it wasn't voided for that reason alone. The arbitrator listed all the reasons why the league rejected the deal in his report, and later listed the reasons why he felt the contract circumvented the salary cap. The final years being below the future league min was half of a sentence in the several pages devoted to the reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
good comparisons for the end of Luogo's deal in that article.

Take Marty Turco will make $1.3 million this year. Last year, he earned $5.7 million. In the final three years of his career, Dominik Hasek averaged $1.4 million after averaging $7.7 million in the five previous years.

earlier in the thread i had mentioned Bob Essensa and Sean Burke as guys who played for smaller amounts at the ends of their careers.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it good for the NHL to have one of the best snipers in the game go to a rival league?

After Kovalchuk turned down the huge offer he received from Atlanta he said it wasn't about money. Then he signs the huge deal with the Devils. If he wants more money than Ovechkin & Crosby I wouldn't have a problem with Kovy going to the KHL.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Kovalchuk turned down the huge offer he received from Atlanta he said it wasn't about money. Then he signs the huge deal with the Devils. If he wants more money than Ovechkin & Crosby I wouldn't have a problem with Kovy going to the KHL.

If he was in it for the cash, the Atlanta deal would have been more lucrative for him than the deal he signed with the Devils.

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do it and the league would give its blessing, the Canucks were told, revealing where the NHL has drawn its imaginary line. Forty-one-year old players — OK. Forty-three-year-old players — not so much.

I've grown curious as to what your opinion is in regards to a solution to the problem. The Bruins signed Marc Savard to a 7 year cap friendly deal with a 4 mil cap hit. Many Boston fans were initially thrilled, but then just a few months and one concussion later, Savard's great deal looks a lot less outstanding. One of the better contracts in hockey quickly became an albatross. For me, these cap circumvention contracts (and NTC's, but that's another matter) can't go away fast enough.

We have two years before the next CBA, and these contracts will be at the forefront for both parties.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MINI CAPTION CONTEST

Don't want to derail the thread, but didn't see the need to devote a whole new one just for this. Go crazy, folks.

picture-9.png

P.S. Hope the photographer was fired.