• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: LSU vs USC

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The model im proposing would have them in the quarterfinals of the cfb playoff three out of every four years. Make the championship game from time to time, win a championship no less than once a decade or so, and recruiting wont be a problem in the least.
I just think we aren’t much further away from the B12 and ACC schools essentially being glorified Boise St.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think we aren’t much further away from the B12 and ACC schools essentially being glorified Boise St.

I agree.

A bunch of glorified mid-majors with a guaranteed bye in the CFB playoff for their champion is exactly what i think would appeal to ND.

Thats the kind of schedule theyve tried to play for decades now

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

A bunch of glorified mid-majors with a guaranteed bye in the CFB playoff for their champion is exactly what i think would appeal to ND.

Thats the kind of schedule theyve tried to play for decades now
In your model you’re projecting that ND is winning national titles. That’s highly unlikely. You need to win 3-4 games vs elite teams to win a national title. You don’t prepare for that playing second tier competition.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 23rd ranked USC beat 13th Ranked LSU.
What are they ranked now?

If I went by how things were done since the SEC and ESPN hooked up , this would be the result of the game.

USC moves up to 18th - reason they beat LSU an SEC team
LSU moves down to 15th - Reason , they had a good loss to a team that just beat an SEC team ( them, LSU)

If USC had lost.
USC out of the rankings- reason- couldn;t hang with an SEC team.
LSU moves up to 10th-reason, they are an SEC team and Florida State lost.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your model you’re projecting that ND is winning national titles. That’s highly unlikely. You need to win 3-4 games vs elite teams to win a national title. You don’t prepare for that playing second tier competition.

i think youre underestimating the effect of a larger playoff on both recruiting and title chances

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing ND joins the B12 before the B1G.

ND will want the ability to earn a top 4 seed in the playoff, but theyre not going to want a conference where they wouldnt be the biggest dog in the park. The post-OU/Texas B12 would fit their needs perfectly

Could join the Pac-2 and REALLY improve their odds

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s perfect for ESPN and modern media. The worse they are with their hot takes the more clicks the network gets. They say stupid shit and it drives hate views and angry comments. The network doesn’t care because it’s an interaction they can sell to advertisers as evidence that people view their content.

We have crafted a system that now goes out of its way to reward the absolute worst in the industry. It’s sad.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think that’s punishment at all. They don’t have to play in a conference championship game. That’s pretty fair. They gain from playing that disgusting ACC schedule. I think their situation this year is the only reason they’re in the mix for a playoff spot. This team is really raw. In a conference, they’d be more likely to be exposed. As it is they have A&M and USC to start and finish and a bunch of ACC garbage in the middle.

Then ND would just stay status quo. The USC game isn’t in jeopardy. They will be able to play one SEC team a year as well. They can continue to play lesser in the ACC. ND has won something like 28 of their last 30 ACC games.

There is no value in changing their situation to join a dead entity. They’d just stay in their current dying entity.
The USC contract only runs through 2026. Maybe they make a new deal but theres smoke from insiders that the Big Ten schedule with 9 conference games isnt ideal for USC to keep the ND game going. Sounds like they are trying to pressure ND to join the Big Ten for it to continue that way its one of the conferece games.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The USC contract only runs through 2026. Maybe they make a new deal but theres smoke from insiders that the Big Ten schedule with 9 conference games isnt ideal for USC to keep the ND game going. Sounds like they are trying to pressure ND to join the Big Ten for it to continue that way its one of the conferece games.
Haha! That would be funny. USC played in one of the weaker conferences in the nation. ND had a string in the 70s 80s and 90s where they played a top 5 schedule every year. Now that shit is reversed USC wants to drop the drop game.

IMG_4955.jpeg

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a different time now. With 9 conference games it limits the flexibility to schedule other opponents like we just saw with LSU. speaking of easy schedules. Notre dame plays Purdue next week and then not another road game till USC. Thats quite favorable isnt it? Add to that FSU isnt what anyone thought then add the army, navy and other low tier teams. They should join the SEC they got that scheduling tactic down.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a different time now.
Correct. It’s USC and not Notre Dame that plays a tough schedule yearly now.
With 9 conference games it limits the flexibility to schedule other opponents like we just saw with LSU. speaking of easy schedules. Notre dame plays Purdue next week and then not another road game till USC. Thats quite favorable isnt it?
It’s the worst schedule I’ve seen an ND team play in my lifetime. It reminds me of a PAC 12 schedule it’s that bad.
Add to that FSU isnt what anyone thought then add the army, navy and other low tier teams. They should join the SEC they got that scheduling tactic down.
Notre Dame can join whatever conference they like.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s interesting. Why wouldn’t they just then opt to join the ACC where they already have context and familiarity? The B12 and the ACC are dying entities. There’s little appeal to either.

If ND decided to join one of those conferences, it would save whichever conference they picked and they should be able to get a very favorable deal.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ND decided to join one of those conferences, it would save whichever conference they picked and they should be able to get a very favorable deal.
Disagree. Those conferences can’t be helped.