• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: LSU vs USC

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn’t really “like” Brian Kelly. He’s just an unlikable mercenary type. He never got Notre Dame but he put together a great infrastructure with AD Jack Swarbrick (who does get Notre Dame). Next step for ND is getting a conference. It’s time. ND let the conference thing develop. It’s played out. It’s B10 and SEC and everybody else. ND needs to join the B10 full time.

I am guessing ND joins the B12 before the B1G.

ND will want the ability to earn a top 4 seed in the playoff, but theyre not going to want a conference where they wouldnt be the biggest dog in the park. The post-OU/Texas B12 would fit their needs perfectly

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where my Tigers at today? Did they run this poseur out of Baton Rouge yet?

creepy-brian-kelly.gif

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did get the Charlie Weiss stink off the ND program. But he hit his ceiling. He did them a favor by leaving.
I watched the A&M game. ND looks good but not so sure about the skill positions. But your schedule is very favorable, with your biggest tests being the first and last game. Should put them in the playoffs. USC might be the team needing that last win to get in.
Anything ND does this year will be on the back of a disgustingly soft schedule. They came into the season with 6 combined starts for their OL. If the coaches can coach the kids up they could be tough by the time playoffs come around.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing ND joins the B12 before the B1G.

ND will want the ability to earn a top 4 seed in the playoff, but theyre not going to want a conference where they wouldnt be the biggest dog in the park. The post-OU/Texas B12 would fit their needs perfectly
That’s interesting. Why wouldn’t they just then opt to join the ACC where they already have context and familiarity? The B12 and the ACC are dying entities. There’s little appeal to either.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s interesting. Why wouldn’t they just then opt to join the ACC where they already have context and familiarity? The B12 and the ACC are dying entities. There’s little appeal to either.

Because Clemson and Florida State are bigger dogs than anybody in the B12 park now that Texas and OU have bolted.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything ND does this year will be on the back of a disgustingly soft schedule. They came into the season with 6 combined starts for their OL. If the coaches can coach the kids up they could be tough by the time playoffs come around.
They looked like big ol babies. lol. I mean, they had baby faces. But one thing ND always gets right is O line and TE;

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know . The ACC isn;t going to have enough elite teams to challenge them, and they might be worse off than being independent.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Clemson and Florida State are bigger dogs than anybody in the B12 park now that Texas and OU have bolted.
I think you have a flawed vision of Notre Dame’s goals at this point. They don’t need to be the biggest thing in the conference when that conference has the brands that B10 and SEC now have. ND objected to being a Michigan and Ohio State level brand and unserious brands like Illinois Indiana Purdue etc…suckling from the hard work ND created. ND in the B10 or SEC would finally have a conference that they wouldn’t have to carry like they would carry other conferences.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know . The ACC isn;t going to have enough elite teams to challenge them, and they might be worse off than being independent.
I think the pathway to actually winning a national title entails playing the kind of schedule they will see in the B10 or SEC. You’re right. If the goal is beating up on pansies they stay status quo. The competitive balance has changed. It’s two super conferences and a lower tier of football everywhere else.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have a flawed vision of Notre Dame’s goals at this point. They don’t need to be the biggest thing in the conference when that conference has the brands that B10 and SEC now have. ND objected to being a Michigan and Ohio State level brand and unserious brands like Illinois Indiana Purdue etc…suckling from the hard work ND created. ND in the B10 or SEC would finally have a conference that they wouldn’t have to carry like they would carry other conferences.
I dont know man. Most of us from outside the ND bubble saw ND always wanted to stand out and be it's own entity.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn’t really “like” Brian Kelly. He’s just an unlikable mercenary type. He never got Notre Dame but he put together a great infrastructure with AD Jack Swarbrick (who does get Notre Dame). Next step for ND is getting a conference. It’s time. ND let the conference thing develop. It’s played out. It’s B10 and SEC and everybody else. ND needs to join the B10 full time.

I think the BigTen would make sense but aren't they ACC in all sports except football?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know man. Most of us from outside the ND bubble saw ND always wanted to stand out and be it's own entity.
That’s because you’re stuck with a vision of 1970s,80s,90s ND. Academically, they’d love access to the B10. That’s always been the case. The B10 has improved their brand considerably since ND turned them down in the 90s. The faction that hated Fielding Yost’s WASP bigotry and said Never the B10 are quite frankly dying off. Different rules now.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought of that but so true. But I think it's coming. It was weird hearing people after the game say the B10 just beat the SEC .
I did run into some Ohio St fans this morning, and one told me it's their conference. He looked serious like he wanted to argue but then smiled and said great game last night. lol

I curious to find out how much money will it cost schools to fly say Rutgers soccer across the country to play Oregon?

I can see all this conference jumping being a disaster in the end as all the sports that produce no revenue will use up alotta money to have one school on the east coast fly across the country to play a team from the west coast. Maybe next the BigTen can add Hawaii?

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time this year, ND is being punished for not being in a conference. They can't get a top 4 seed or a bye because of their lack of conference participation.

If they look for a conference, its going to be a conference where they can get as close an approximation to the schedule they have always played (USC, Michigan, one other elite team on a rotating basis, and a bunch of lesser schools), while still getting the benefit of a conference affiliation and a bye when they predictably win their conference.

The b12 is the only conference that can provide that to them right now

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I curious to find out how much money will it cost schools to fly say Rutgers soccer across the country to play Oregon?

I can see all this conference jumping being a disaster in the end as all the sports that produce no revenue will use up alotta money to have one school on the east coast fly across the country to play a team from the west coast. Maybe next the BigTen can add Hawaii?
Expansion will get so large that you’ll see subdivisions created for just that reason.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time this year, ND is being punished for not bejng in a conference. They can't get a top 4 seed or a bye because of their lack of conference participation.
I don’t think that’s punishment at all. They don’t have to play in a conference championship game. That’s pretty fair. They gain from playing that disgusting ACC schedule. I think their situation this year is the only reason they’re in the mix for a playoff spot. This team is really raw. In a conference, they’d be more likely to be exposed. As it is they have A&M and USC to start and finish and a bunch of ACC garbage in the middle.
If they look for a conference, its going to be a conference where they can get as close an approximation to the schedule they have always played (USC, Michigan, one other elite team on a rotating basis, and a bunch of lesser schools), while still getting the benefit of a conference affiliation and a bye when they predictably win their conference.
Then ND would just stay status quo. The USC game isn’t in jeopardy. They will be able to play one SEC team a year as well. They can continue to play lesser in the ACC. ND has won something like 28 of their last 30 ACC games.
The b12 is the only conference that can provide that to them right now
There is no value in changing their situation to join a dead entity. They’d just stay in their current dying entity.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think that’s punishment at all. They don’t have to play in a conference championship game. That’s pretty fair. They gain from playing that disgusting ACC schedule. I think their situation this year is the only reason they’re in the mix for a playoff spot. This team is really raw. In a conference, they’d be more likely to be exposed. As it is they have A&M and USC to start and finish and a bunch of ACC garbage in the middle.

Then ND would just stay status quo. The USC game isn’t in jeopardy. They will be able to play one SEC team a year as well. They can continue to play lesser in the ACC. ND has won something like 28 of their last 30 ACC games.

There is no value in changing their situation to join a dead entity. They’d just stay in their current dying entity.

Except that dead entity's conference champion gets a top 4 seed and a bye in the college football playoff.

The only reason ND would give up its independence is if it decided that was enough incentive to do do.

If it doesnt care about the bye and top-4 seed potential, it will happily stay independent forever and do things the way it always has

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that dead entity's conference champion gets a top 4 seed and a bye in the college football playoff.

The only reason ND would give up its independence is if it decided that was enough incentive to do do.

If it doesnt care about the bye and top-4 seed potential, it will happily stay independent forever and do things the way it always has
That model is going to dry up. If a team isn’t playing SEC and B10 games they’re essentially going to be playing second tier college football. They won’t be able to recruit kids to play in the lower tier.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That model is going to dry up. If a team isn’t playing SEC and B10 games they’re essentially going to be playing second tier college football. They won’t be able to recruit kids to play in the lower tier.

The model im proposing would have them in the quarterfinals of the cfb playoff three out of every four years. Make the championship game from time to time, win a championship no less than once a decade or so, and recruiting wont be a problem in the least.