• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

loving me some aldon smith

AdjustingRoutes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In our system we used Manny to cover quite a bit, but when he was asked to rush he did quite well. Pass Rushing Productivity | ProFootballFocus.com you'll find Lawson right there below Ware in pass rushing productivity. He may not have been the greatest, but he was far from a bum.

That calculates "pressures", certainly not sacks. Manny was king of the "almost sack", where he would get credit for getting semi-close to the QB but not actually doing anything to contest the pass thrown from the QB.

Manny is a talented player in a 4-3, a complete non-fit in a 3-4. His game is setting the edge and dropping into coverage, not rushing the passer. That's why Fangio felt comfortable letting him walk and playing the better ass rusher(Brooks).

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That calculates "pressures", certainly not sacks. Manny was king of the "almost sack", where he would get credit for getting semi-close to the QB but not actually doing anything to contest the pass thrown from the QB.

Manny is a talented player in a 4-3, a complete non-fit in a 3-4. His game is setting the edge and dropping into coverage, not rushing the passer. That's why Fangio felt comfortable letting him walk and playing the better ass rusher(Brooks).

Sacks are not everything, pressures lead to picks mistakes etc. That aside, my point was that Manny was a pretty decent player for us. He was not great, but far from being called a bum.

AdjustingRoutes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sacks are not everything, pressures lead to picks mistakes etc. That aside, my point was that Manny was a pretty decent player for us. He was not great, but far from being called a bum.

Right, pressure usually does lead to picks, my point is that Manny was an outlier in that despite how close he got and how quickly he did it, QB's routinely stepped up in the pocket and made throws. Take a look at the opposing teams QB rating from last year and compare it to this year. Some of it is Carlos Rogers, a lot of it is improved pass rush from the OLB's.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your missing the point. No doubt our pressure this year is much improved, as is our coverage (that helps) . Manny Lawson is no Ware when it comes to rushing the passer. I never said he was a great pass rusher. I just don't get the hate for someone that was a servicable to decent starter for us is all. Yes 3-4 outside linebackers should be able to get to the quarterback, but coverage ability is also a plus. It gives the defense versatility and the ability to mix up coverages and blitzes much more in my opinion. Manny could cover great and rush the passer decently. I'd love to have him opposite Aldon myself. (no disrespect to brooks) We got rid of him because his contract was over and he was replacable and somewhat expensive. Manny 3 mil 2011 Brooks 1.2 mil 2011.

AdjustingRoutes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think your missing the point. No doubt our pressure this year is much improved, as is our coverage (that helps) . Manny Lawson is no Ware when it comes to rushing the passer. I never said he was a great pass rusher. I just don't get the hate for someone that was a servicable to decent starter for us is all. Yes 3-4 outside linebackers should be able to get to the quarterback, but coverage ability is also a plus. It gives the defense versatility and the ability to mix up coverages and blitzes much more in my opinion. Manny could cover great and rush the passer decently. I'd love to have him opposite Aldon myself. (no disrespect to brooks) We got rid of him because his contract was over and he was replacable and somewhat expensive. Manny 3 mil 2011 Brooks 1.2 mil 2011.

I hate Manny because he was a symbol for why our defense in past years has underachieved. Look around the league at all the dominant 3-4 schemes, and they most likely have at least 1, if not 2 stud pass rushers off the edge.

Steelers: harrison, woodley

Cowboys: Ware

Chargers: Shaun phillips

Ravens: Suggs

Packers: Matthews

Chiefs: Tamba Hali

The patriots and Jets are some exceptions, as the Jets have the best CB in football and Belicheck is all smoke and mirrors(and brilliant at it)

Now also, all these pass rushers listed are not that great in coverage. The best one I would say would be Matthews but he's far from a "great coverage linebacker". The point is, pass rush from the OLB position is the most important key in a 3-4 scheme and when we kept running out a coverage guy like Manny over Ahmad Brooks it pissed me off.

This is why Fangio wanted nothing to do with manny when he was a FA.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not a fan of Manny. He was close to bum territory for me. Way way way way way way way too much was made of his coverage ability. He's a backup 34 OLB at best for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
manny lawson would be perfect in the lee woodall type role. we moved up because of his pass rushing ability, but maybe teams forgot about him with mario williams on the other side. the guy had absolutely no pass rushe moves.

totally the wrong system for him, but he played well for us.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up the stats for Manny as a Bengal. Sad.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

DING DING DING! This is why I didn't want him back (nor did I want Franklin back).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but anyone who thinks Manny is a better 4-3 player than a 3-4 player doesn't know shit.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sorry, but anyone who thinks Manny is a better 4-3 player than a 3-4 player doesn't know shit.

Why?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything about his game screams 3-4. Unless he gains 20 lbs., he's not a 4-3 player. His blah play this year is a testament to that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Everything about his game screams 3-4. Unless he gains 20 lbs., he's not a 4-3 player. His blah play this year is a testament to that.

By saying "gaining" 20 punds I'm assuming you mean he's a better 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE. This is true. But he's a better OLB in a 4-3 than in a 3-4 'cause he isn't a very good pass rusher. Is he playing DE or OLB in Cinci'?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, he is already elite. He has been the most productive pass rusher in football on a snap per snap basis . People who whine about his coverage skills don't understand the 34 scheme, and probably wish Manny Lawson was still here, lmao.

A few years ago Parys Haralson was the best pass rusher in football on a snap per snap basis.

As an OLB in the 3-4 he does need to play in space, and he needs to be competent when asked to do so. His primary job is to rush the passer, but it's far from his only job.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By saying "gaining" 20 punds I'm assuming you mean he's a better 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE. This is true. But he's a better OLB in a 4-3 than in a 3-4 'cause he isn't a very good pass rusher. Is he playing DE or OLB in Cinci'?

He isn't a very good pass-rusher in the 4-3 either. He is, though, better in the run and in coverage in the 3-4.