• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Los Angeles Lakers "Best Franchise in Sports History"

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Doc Rivers was considering the whole body of work. The Lakers have the best winning percentage in American Sports History, and hold the record for all time wins in basketball history. They have missed the playoffs only 5 times in franchise history!!! Can the Cowboys, Steelers, Canadians, Celtics, or Yankees make such a claim?.. NO!!

Probably because all of those teams sans the Celtics were around longer. LOL

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, some people don't understand or have the smarts to follow a complex sport such as soccer, the real football. And if you think soccer players are pansies and "shrimps", then you truly are a moron. Educate yourself before you pop off. Soccer has the best athletes in the world. It's the most popular sport in the world.

You're welcome

Please explain how soccer is a "complex" sport oh wise one.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because all of those teams sans the Celtics were around longer. LOL

Yankees founded 1901, Canadiens founded 1909, Steelers 1933

Lakers founded 1947.

Yeah only the Celtics were around longer:lol:

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball and football always comes first for me. But when someone mentions the world cup their is nothing bigger then that. that is truly worldwide.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny revisionist history. To start with "Logic", your facts on the Yankees is wrong. Secondly, your smack on Celtics is based on their drought period, yet you reference Steelers, Canadiens and Yankees who also went through significant droughts.

To me Man U is #2, dominating the 90's/00's. Liverpool dominated the 70's as did Celtics in 60's. But no team had more success than the 20's-50's Yanks. That said, Canadiens did have powerful years prior to the 90's

Lakers are not even in the top 5 in titles. Better yet, head to head with the best NBA franchise, they have a dismal record against Boston. They are wanna bees with 11 titles

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny revisionist history. To start with "Logic", your facts on the Yankees is wrong. Secondly, your smack on Celtics is based on their drought period, yet you reference Steelers, Canadiens and Yankees who also went through significant droughts.

To me Man U is #2, dominating the 90's/00's. Liverpool dominated the 70's as did Celtics in 60's. But no team had more success than the 20's-50's Yanks. That said, Canadiens did have powerful years prior to the 90's

Lakers are not even in the top 5 in titles. Better yet, head to head with the best NBA franchise, they have a dismal record against Boston. They are wanna bees with 11 titles

16. lol nice try, though...

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny revisionist history. To start with "Logic", your facts on the Yankees is wrong.

The New York Yankees organization was founded in Baltimore Maryland in the year 1901. This team known as the Orioles was managed and owned by John McGraw. In 1903, owners and managers of the American League voted to move the team to New York City. They originally wanted to be based in New York, but because the New York Giants were already established, they were put in Baltimore. This changed in 1903 when the Baltimore Orioles moved to New York and became known as the the New York Highlanders. This name would change to the Yankees in 1913. The Highlanders first stadium was at Hilltop Park in northern Manhattan. In 1913 the Highlanders changed to the Yankees, and moved into their new stadium, the Polo Grounds. They shared this stadium with the New York Giants.
Secondly, your smack on Celtics is based on their drought period, yet you reference Steelers, Canadiens and Yankees who also went through significant droughts.

My first response was because a Celtics fan used the usual 17>16 and I was pointing out that most of those were ancient history and that the Lakers had been more consistently good over time, which is true. My second was ins response to 'Cane saying these other franchises that are considered great were younger. I never said that they hadn't had droughts also. But since they have it only supports the fact that the Lakers are an organization that has been run incredibly well over an extended period of time.

You are welcome to your opinion, but over the decades there has not been an extended stretch where the Lakers are not a significant factor in the NBA. Those other teams have had great runs of domination, but have faded for extended times. The Lakers have managed to rebuild/reload quickly whenever there has been a drop off. That is what makes them stand out among sports franchises.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers went 18 years without a championship. But I do understand your logic. They dominated the western conference, regardless the strength of that league at that time.

But here is the amazing stat. In 110 years, since 1903 when the Yankees started, they have won the AL Pennant 40 times, and done so in every decade since 1920. 27 times that pennant led to a title. Not only did they win their league, but they normally would then win it all. Its a stat no other team, even in BPL, could state.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers went 18 years without a championship. But I do understand your logic. They dominated the western conference, regardless the strength of that league at that time.

But here is the amazing stat. In 110 years, since 1903 when the Yankees started, they have won the AL Pennant 40 times, and done so in every decade since 1920. 27 times that pennant led to a title. Not only did they win their league, but they normally would then win it all. Its a stat no other team, even in BPL, could state.

As you stated, during that 18 year championship drought, the Lakers were still a significant team, being in the finals 8 times. And I in no way would diminish what the Yankees have done over time. However, the Yankees have had a couple of 10+ year stretches where they were not a factor. Also, I find the Lakers management more impressive, at least in the modern era, because they have managed to do it with a salary cap. They can not simply outspend other teams for talent like the Yankees or Real Madrid can, they have to play under the same salary rules as everyone else in the league.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, thats more amazing than 23 Division Titles in 66 years and making the playoffs 61 of those 66 years? I guess we will agree to disagree?..

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, thats more amazing than 23 Division Titles in 66 years and making the playoffs 61 of those 66 years? I guess we will agree to disagree?..

I wouldn't count that making the playoffs so strongly as making the playoffs in basketball IS less significant than making the playoffs in baseball, even with all the new modifications to the MLB playoffs.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logicman, go ahead and make a fool of yourself and try to explain how the Lakers only have 11 tittles.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logicman, go ahead and make a fool of yourself and try to explain how the Lakers only have 11 tittles.

why'd you ask? you KNOW all of beantown's got that half-baked "titles belong to cities" garbage. i just say look at a record book. debate's(such as it is) over...:suds:

Black Belt Disciple

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The U.S.A. is the only country that matters to me besides Israel. I couldn't care less what sport the panzies in the rest of the world prefer.

I prefer FOOTBALL & BASKETBALL. The rest of the world can hardly play with us in either physical sport. So who cares what they think?

You're a simple minded retard. Those "pansies" you speak of would twist your ass up like a pretzel. What a doosh

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic, the NBA is a soft cap, not a hard cap. Like the MLB, you pay a tax if you go over. The Lakers have had the highest payrolls for years, so stating they had some distinct disadvantage in salary is simply false.

Listen, I am not debating the Lakers are a great franchise, but the Yankees stats are more impressive........and I am a rival of both clubs.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic, the NBA is a soft cap, not a hard cap. Like the MLB, you pay a tax if you go over. The Lakers have had the highest payrolls for years, so stating they had some distinct disadvantage in salary is simply false.

The luxury tax in the NBA is so steep though that you can't do what the Yankees do and have 20X the payroll. I don't think anyone in the NBA even has twice the payroll of another team. Really worlds of difference.

But we are in agreement that they are both well run machines (well, have been in the past).

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count that making the playoffs so strongly as making the playoffs in basketball IS less significant than making the playoffs in baseball, even with all the new modifications to the MLB playoffs.

Less significant? I think you are entirely missing the point...

To make the playoffs 95% of your Franchises existence is a huge significance. You make more money in the playoffs as a franchise. You expand your fanbase and the interest of free agent players. You also generate revenue in other avenues.

I understand your point though... To make the playoffs is a harder challenge in the MLB. That still doesnt take away from the impact of making the playoffs in any sport, has on the success of a franchise.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EXTREMELY MORE AMAZING THAN THAT.

EC Champions is the equivalent to the pennant, not division championships iirc.