• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looney can't suck as much as Goodwin

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he does suck. We need to draft a center in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All the more reason not to necessarily believe anything PFF evaluates. But any center is going to look a ton better when he's playing next to 2 pro bowl (one all-pro') caliber guards.

Everybody that doesn't know should be made aware that PFF's grades for the linemen are pretty close when you get away from the top guys so the difference between 16 and, say, 25 isn't as big as you might think.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodwin has been pretty good in my opinion. Not a top five center in the league, but serviceable and worthwhile. Not sure what all the hate is about on him.... pretty hard to have every player on your offensive line an all pro.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodwin has been pretty good in my opinion. Not a top five center in the league, but serviceable and worthwhile. Not sure what all the hate is about on him.... pretty hard to have every player on your offensive line an all pro.

I think it is more the price tag comparable to the level of play seen on Sundays that irks people.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is more the price tag comparable to the level of play seen on Sundays that irks people.

Yes I agree and the pressure he puts on the Guards to help him out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Don't get me wrong; I'm really happy right now. That was a great win. The win notwithstanding:

Johnathan Goodwin is absolutely terrible. That would-be matador block he put on Corey Peters was one of the most pathetic blocks I've ever seen. And in some of the running plays he slightly leaned on a guy. I can't stand the fact that this guy is on the team much less a starter.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Center in the second round is a must. Heck if the 9ers dont move up in the first grab a center in the first if one is worthy of it

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody knows that Harbaugh has no problem rotating in backups if they show mettle in practice. That means Looney and Kilgore are simply not as good as Goodwin.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Everybody knows that Harbaugh has no problem rotating in backups if they show mettle in practice. That means Looney and Kilgore are simply not as good as Goodwin.

Then Looney must've been on coke or something the game he started; he played much better than suck-bag Goodwin.

Why is Richie Incognito not a 49er yet? He's not good, but he's a LOT better than Goodwin. I don't give a crap about the bad press he'd bring; screw the press. I want someone who can block Brandon Mebane.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm lukewarm on that sentiment. The Niners seem to rotate much less often than many other teams. Only this year are we actually seeing some rotating along the DL, and I think we see our backup WRs and RBs see far fewer opportunities than most. I would love to see more of Hunter, for instance. I think he's a dynamic player on an offense that doesn't have too many of them. Obviously Gore is fantastic, but I'd try to get Hunter 10 touches every game. Instead, he's only hit that mark once this year, and we are wholly predictable when he's on the field most of the time.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then Looney must've been on coke or something the game he started; he played much better than suck-bag Goodwin.

Why is Richie Incognito not a 49er yet? He's not good, but he's a LOT better than Goodwin. I don't give a crap about the bad press he'd bring; screw the press. I want someone who can block Brandon Mebane.

Because the 49ers would be facing a tampering charge considering he's STILL on the reserve/suspended list (with pay) and hasn't been cut by them yet. :)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Because the 49ers would be facing a tampering charge considering he's STILL on the reserve/suspended list (with pay) and hasn't been cut by them yet. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft a Center

I completely agree, their were like five or six plays that he just quit on blocks or just whiffed and one of the sacks on kaep if he just quits on his block when kaep moved up in the pocket

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm lukewarm on that sentiment. The Niners seem to rotate much less often than many other teams. Only this year are we actually seeing some rotating along the DL, and I think we see our backup WRs and RBs see far fewer opportunities than most. I would love to see more of Hunter, for instance. I think he's a dynamic player on an offense that doesn't have too many of them. Obviously Gore is fantastic, but I'd try to get Hunter 10 touches every game. Instead, he's only hit that mark once this year, and we are wholly predictable when he's on the field most of the time.

I suppose I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say that Harbaugh has shown a willingness to demote players for backups waiting in the wings. Alex Smith was having a fantastic year (by his standards) but lost his job, and Nnamdi wasn't playing THAT poorly, but lost his job as well. Heck, we had a Kassim Osgood sighting in tonight's game because Baldwin was demoted to the inactive list. AJ Jenkins got traded for his craptasticness.

I'm just saying IMO if Looney or Kilgore showed more than Goodwin in practices they would be playing more snaps. If we can see it, I'm sure the coaches can see that Goodwin is laying eggs every game.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I suppose I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say that Harbaugh has shown a willingness to demote players for backups waiting in the wings. Alex Smith was having a fantastic year (by his standards) but lost his job, and Nnamdi wasn't playing THAT poorly, but lost his job as well. Heck, we had a Kassim Osgood sighting in tonight's game because Baldwin was demoted to the inactive list. AJ Jenkins got traded for his craptasticness.

I'm just saying IMO if Looney or Kilgore showed more than Goodwin in practices they would be playing more snaps. If we can see it, I'm sure the coaches can see that Goodwin is laying eggs every game.

Well, Osgood is active over Baldwin due to his ability on Special Teams, not his ability as a WR. He got the catch when Crabtree was on the sideline getting looked at following his OPI. We went with a 3 WR set and only had 4 active WRs with one on the sideline (Davis may have still been out with his eye injury or whatever at the time as well).

Nnamdi lost his job because he got injured, Brock got a chance and outperformed Nnamdi. From that point Aso had zero value on Special Teams, and we were in a situation where we were going to be activating a significant number of players (Crabtree, Manningham, Dial, Carradine, Moody and someone else I'm forgetting). That led to a need to drop 6 guys from the active roster. Keeping a 4th CB with no ST value, especially considering how little we have 4 CBs on the field, didn't make sense.

Also, sorry if I missed a point in here, I joined the convo really late and may be missing some context.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So how's a 5th rounder to get David Baas back sound? His salary's a little higher than Goodwin's this year, and he'd have no deferred bounus; that would make it easy to cut him when he got too old to play.

Come on Giants! Let us have him back! You owe us for the Kyle Williams incident.