• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like LA is a go...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried with the Bills playing games in Toronto. It simply didn't go over very good.

That's not a great example. That is too much like making most of a team's fanbase cross a border and drive 3 hours to see it's game. Of course the turnout will suffer. Much like the first Raiders move to LA; they returned to Oakland due to lack of support.

The CFL is probably the biggest obstacle, as they are already in the largest Canadian cities already. It would probably have to be Toronto due to it's sheer size, although with their own product to root for.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard the story today why Spanos dislikes Stan so much. So a couple years ago the two are having dinner and Spanos tells Stan about the land for sale in Inglewood and that they should team up. Spanos said since he had an AFC team and Stan had an NFC team they could share a stadium. Stan was not aware that the land was for sale. Stan said that was a great idea and then the next day went out and bought the land himself and stabbed Spano's in the back. Needless to say it didn't go over too well. I'd be very surprised of these guys could come together now.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard the story today why Spanos dislikes Stan so much. So a couple years ago the two are having dinner and Spanos tells Stan about the land for sale in Inglewood and that they should team up. Spanos said since he had an AFC team and Stan had an NFC team they could share a stadium. Stan was not aware that the land was for sale. Stan said that was a great idea and then the next day went out and bought the land himself and stabbed Spano's in the back. Needless to say it didn't go over too well. I'd be very surprised of these guys could come together now.

I've never heard that story before. Is there a link to it by chance?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not stabbing in the back, that's called smart business. Do you think for a second that if Spanos could've afforded the site on his own he would been mentioning it to Stan over dinner? Hell no, he would've scooped it up himself and THEN tried to bring Stan on as a partner. Why would Stan want to be partners on a deal like that with a guy who apparently can't even afford the land?

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not stabbing in the back, that's called smart business. Do you think for a second that if Spanos could've afforded the site on his own he would been mentioning it to Stan over dinner? Hell no, he would've scooped it up himself and THEN tried to bring Stan on as a partner. Why would Stan want to be partners on a deal like that with a guy who apparently can't even afford the land?
You say tomato I say .... I believe if there was a friendship and this story is true then yeah a line was crossed. These guys travel in the same circles. And I am sure they have rivalry's. But this the way it is explained is dirty pool.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say tomato I say .... I believe if there was a friendship and this story is true then yeah a line was crossed. These guys travel in the same circles. And I am sure they have rivalry's. But this the way it is explained is dirty pool.

Were they supposed to buy the land together? What happens if one guy relocates to LA and the other doesn't? The non-relocating partner can sue the other for a TON of money and "potential profits" since they are using land he owns 50%...
Is it "dirty"? in a way, yes...But it can also be considered smart business...It also covers Stan's ass, which as we all know by now is most important to him...

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were they supposed to buy the land together? What happens if one guy relocates to LA and the other doesn't? The non-relocating partner can sue the other for a TON of money and "potential profits" since they are using land he owns 50%...
Is it "dirty"? in a way, yes...But it can also be considered smart business...It also covers Stan's ass, which as we all know by now is most important to him...
If you mean smart business in the sense of having no morals and or scruples and to do it to a friend then yes. And I realize nice guys finish last. There probably is more to the story.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you mean smart business in the sense of having no morals and or scruples and to do it to a friend then yes. And I realize nice guys finish last. There probably is more to the story.

I can pretty much guarantee there's more to the story...If Spanos could've bought the property without ever mentioning it to Stan, you have to think he would've for sure. How do we know that Stan didn't buy the land with every intention of eventually teaming up with Spanos? Maybe he scooped up the land real quick to make sure no one else does?
Just seems like theres a HUGE piece to this story missing...

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard that story before. Is there a link to it by chance?

I believe it was wrote by Jim Thomas. He covers the Rams. might be able to search his articles. I heard it on the radio today.

Speculation has mounted in recent weeks that perhaps the most palatable solution would be pairing owner Dean Spanos and his San Diego Chargers with Stan Kroenke’s Rams at Kroenke’s Inglewood stadium site.

But such a forced marriage may not be easy, and the reasoning goes deeper than general concerns about the Chargers being a Kroenke “tenant” in Inglewood.

In 2013, Spanos approached Kroenke about pairing up on the Inglewood/Hollywood Park site, according to league sources speaking on the condition of anonymity. It’s the same general area the Oakland Raiders and even the NFL itself had previously considered as a stadium site.

Initially, Kroenke was not aware the 60-acre tract owned by Wal-Mart was available, according to sources. In any event, Spanos didn’t hear back from Kroenke for weeks. Spanos later learned that Kroenke had excluded Spanos and purchased the land himself.

With that in mind, it’s difficult to imagine Spanos wishing to now join forces with Kroenke in Inglewood.

News of the Kroenke purchase became public on Jan. 31, 2014. Nearly a year later, on Jan. 4, 2015, Kroenke announced plans to build a stadium on that tract as part of a joint venture that included an adjoining site owned by Stockbridge Capital Group for a stadium, plus parking, business and residential development.

Spanos subsequently partnered with Raiders owner Mark Davis on the competing LA area stadium plan in Carson, Calif.

After Kroenke’s Inglewood end run, some observers believe the only way Spanos would now attempt to partner with Kroenke is if Spanos had no other stadium alternatives and some arrangements could be made to lessen any landlord-tenant status.

The Chargers declined to comment, and attempts to reach Kroenke for comment were not successful.

The cost of building the Inglewood stadium is expected to exceed $2 billion. Having two teams involved in one stadium makes much more sense financially, because it means twice the funds are available from the league’s G4 stadium funding program — about $200 million per team. Also, roughly twice the money can be raised through the sale of personal seat licenses to season-ticket holders because two fan bases are involved.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it was wrote by Jim Thomas. He covers the Rams. might be able to search his articles. I heard it on the radio today.

Speculation has mounted in recent weeks that perhaps the most palatable solution would be pairing owner Dean Spanos and his San Diego Chargers with Stan Kroenke’s Rams at Kroenke’s Inglewood stadium site.

But such a forced marriage may not be easy, and the reasoning goes deeper than general concerns about the Chargers being a Kroenke “tenant” in Inglewood.

In 2013, Spanos approached Kroenke about pairing up on the Inglewood/Hollywood Park site, according to league sources speaking on the condition of anonymity. It’s the same general area the Oakland Raiders and even the NFL itself had previously considered as a stadium site.

Initially, Kroenke was not aware the 60-acre tract owned by Wal-Mart was available, according to sources. In any event, Spanos didn’t hear back from Kroenke for weeks. Spanos later learned that Kroenke had excluded Spanos and purchased the land himself.

With that in mind, it’s difficult to imagine Spanos wishing to now join forces with Kroenke in Inglewood.

News of the Kroenke purchase became public on Jan. 31, 2014. Nearly a year later, on Jan. 4, 2015, Kroenke announced plans to build a stadium on that tract as part of a joint venture that included an adjoining site owned by Stockbridge Capital Group for a stadium, plus parking, business and residential development.

Spanos subsequently partnered with Raiders owner Mark Davis on the competing LA area stadium plan in Carson, Calif.

After Kroenke’s Inglewood end run, some observers believe the only way Spanos would now attempt to partner with Kroenke is if Spanos had no other stadium alternatives and some arrangements could be made to lessen any landlord-tenant status.

The Chargers declined to comment, and attempts to reach Kroenke for comment were not successful.

The cost of building the Inglewood stadium is expected to exceed $2 billion. Having two teams involved in one stadium makes much more sense financially, because it means twice the funds are available from the league’s G4 stadium funding program — about $200 million per team. Also, roughly twice the money can be raised through the sale of personal seat licenses to season-ticket holders because two fan bases are involved.

The bolded paragraph Cougie is a little difficult to buy as legit. Kroneke is married to a Wal-Mart Brat and he'd know if the land was available if had anything to do with a Wal-Mart. You are passing along some fantasy BS I do believe.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded paragraph Cougie is a little difficult to buy as legit. Kroneke is married to a Wal-Mart Brat and he'd know if the land was available if had anything to do with a Wal-Mart. You are passing along some fantasy BS I do believe.

No that's what was ironic about the story... stan didn't know. The story is from Jim Thomas at the St. Louis Post dispatch. The article is named Rams, Chargers marriage for Inglewood site may not work. Written Oct 2nd.

Last edited:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that's what was ironic about the story... stan didn't know. The story is from Jim Thomas at the St. Louis Post dispatch. The article is named Rams, Chargers marriage for Inglewood site may not work. Written Oct 2nd.

link??..............I'm watching you! :eek:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis submits stadium proposal to keep the Rams
Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
gateway-arch-041615-getty-ftrjpg_1hikzmdifpv2w1tolcr9o6dj51.jpgGetty Images
At a time when Oakland won’t be submitting one at all, St. Louis has submitted one a day early.

Via Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, St. Louis has filed its final offer with the NFL’s Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities. The deadline for the three cities who are faced with losing their NFL teams arrives on December 30.

The proposal likely will reflect the terms approved earlier this month by the St. Louis Board of Alderman, a package that includes $150 million in money from the city, more from the state, and an extra $100 million from the league that was wink-nod promised by two members of the league’s L.A. Committee.

The league has bristled at the presumption that another $100 million will come from private contributions, but if the owners are going to keep the Rams in St. Louis, someone will have to come up with the extra cash. Unless 24 owners vote to allow owner Stan Kroenke to move the team, that’s what will have to happen, if a new stadium is going to be built in St. Louis.

A vote (or, more likely, a series of them) on potential relocation is expected on January 13. No one knows what will happen, but future efforts to build stadiums with public money will be undermined if the NFL refuses to move forward with the proposal St. Louis has provided, since St. Louis is willing to make a major contribution of taxpayer funds at a time when few communities are inclined to do it.

Other communities will be even less inclined to do it if the NFL tells St. Louis politicians, “Thanks for trying. It’s not good enough. See ya.”

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis submits stadium proposal to keep the Rams
Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
View attachment 71327Getty Images
At a time when Oakland won’t be submitting one at all, St. Louis has submitted one a day early.

Via Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, St. Louis has filed its final offer with the NFL’s Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities. The deadline for the three cities who are faced with losing their NFL teams arrives on December 30.

The proposal likely will reflect the terms approved earlier this month by the St. Louis Board of Alderman, a package that includes $150 million in money from the city, more from the state, and an extra $100 million from the league that was wink-nod promised by two members of the league’s L.A. Committee.

The league has bristled at the presumption that another $100 million will come from private contributions, but if the owners are going to keep the Rams in St. Louis, someone will have to come up with the extra cash. Unless 24 owners vote to allow owner Stan Kroenke to move the team, that’s what will have to happen, if a new stadium is going to be built in St. Louis.

A vote (or, more likely, a series of them) on potential relocation is expected on January 13. No one knows what will happen, but future efforts to build stadiums with public money will be undermined if the NFL refuses to move forward with the proposal St. Louis has provided, since St. Louis is willing to make a major contribution of taxpayer funds at a time when few communities are inclined to do it.

Other communities will be even less inclined to do it if the NFL tells St. Louis politicians, “Thanks for trying. It’s not good enough. See ya.”

Can you post the San diego and Oakland's proposal for a new Stadium?? No you can't because they don't have one lol. btw the NFL deadline for the proposal is today. St. Louis turned it in a day early…

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,096.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could the Raiders eventually land in San Diego?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2015, 7:41 PM EST
View attachment 68016AP
On Sunday, Chargers players like Philip Rivers said farewell to San Diego — even though the relocation of the team is hardly official. It nevertheless felt final, because it’s becoming more and more clear that the Chargers are likely to leave town.

Some think that the sense it’s ending could be exactly what it takes to kick start a long-suffering effort to finally build a new stadium in San Diego. But it’s likely too late to make it happen. Even if San Diego were to become fully committed at this moment to get a new stadium built, the Chargers aren’t willing to wait and see what happens because, if they do and if the effort fails, the Chargers will be SOL in L.A.

The departure of the Chargers won’t necessarily prompt San Diego to stop trying to build a new stadium. Like St. Louis and Baltimore after they lost the Cardinals and Colts, respectively, in the 1980s, San Diego could try to build a stadium in an effort to land a new team.

So how about the Raiders? Although owner Mark Davis has no interest in replacing the Rams in St. Louis, moving to San Diego isn’t all that different from moving to L.A. Ultimately, Davis wants a new stadium; if he can get one in San Diego, thanks to the sense of urgency that will come from the loss of the Chargers and the allure of bringing one of their top rivals to town.

Crazier things have happened, and it really wouldn’t be all that crazy if, at some point down the line, the Raiders move south, beyond L.A. and to the city that is about to be vacated for it.

That would be wild but I doubt it happens.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,096.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could've stayed in San Diego personally, lol. Lived in the apartments across from USD (brother was a student), view of the fireworks at Seaworld. Apartment was crappy otherwise, but functional. The job I had lined up at Qualcomm disappeared, so I moved back to NY when the money ran out. Wouldn't mind going back someday, maybe in PB?

Rochester? Daaaaamn. I bet you miss the weather bad, huh?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,096.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot here....the Raiders aren't moving to Mexico.