• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like LA is a go...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be right, but from what I understand, Stan is going to or just has met with the St. Louis officials about a new stadium plan...He's doing the "right thing" or at least going through the motions he has to in order to satisfy the other owners.

Bottom line, if St. Louis doesn't come up with the "right amount" of money for the stadium(probably around a billion dollars)....The Rams are gone....

I also wonder if him not relinquishing the majority ownership yet to his children of the Nuggets and Avalanche will have anything to do with this since he's had years to do it without consequence. Some owners could frown upon that.

What I don't understand is why the city of St. Louis has to be the ones to build the stadium in the first place and Kroenke doesn't lift a finger but yet he's willing to fully fund this Inglewood plan. I just think it's blatantly obvious that he really isn't willing to try to work with city officials in St. Louis. But as of right now, your guess about what will happen is about as good as mine as none of us will know for certain until around mid January.

Last edited:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wonder if him not relinquishing the majority ownership yet to his children of the Nuggets and Avalanche will have anything to do with this since he's had years to do it without consequence. Some owners could frown upon that.

What I don't understand is why the city of St. Louis has to be the ones to build the stadium in the first place an Kroenke doesn't lift a finger but yet he's willing to fully fund this Inglewood plan. I just think it's blatantly obvious that he really isn't willing to try to work with city officials in St. Louis. But as of right now, your guess about what will happen is about as good as mine as none of us will know for certain until around mid January.

You would think the ownership in other teams might hurt him like it has others in the past...But these days? I think it actually makes other owners almost in awe of him. Remember, this is a club of billionaires, and when one guy amasses as much power/ownership as Stan has, these guys are impressed as they probably should be...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think the ownership in other teams might hurt him like it has others in the past...But these days? I think it actually makes other owners almost in awe of him. Remember, this is a club of billionaires, and when one guy amasses as much power/ownership as Stan has, these guys are impressed as they probably should be...

But on the other hand, the owners that have been in the league for a while could have the attitude of "who the hell is this guy coming in thinking he rules the place and has more of a say so in league matters than me?" And his attitude (rumored but not sure if true) of if he doesn't get to go to Los Angeles, he'll just try again to move it to somewhere like London, Mexico City, Toronto or anywhere else the NFL might be interested in having a team (other than St Louis) could rub a lot of owners the wrong way as well.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah:
But on the other hand, the owners that have been in the league for a while could have the attitude of "who the hell is this guy coming in thinking he rules the place and has more of a say so in league matters than me?" And his attitude (rumored but not sure if true) of if he doesn't get to go to Los Angeles, he'll just try again to move it to somewhere like London, Mexico City, Toronto or anywhere else the NFL might be interested in having a team (other than St Louis) could rub a lot of owners the wrong way as well.

Exactly. Why would the owners want to see this guy become the most powerful owner? no way the NFL is going to London anytime soon. What players are going to want to pay those taxes not to mention live there. Canada failed already with those games in Toronto.. No one cared lol. Mexico City no. Crazy rumor I heard today.. Stan could move the team and be the hero in San Diego in the near future if he doesn't get LA. :gaah:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Why would the owners want to see this guy become the most powerful owner? no way the NFL is going to London anytime soon. What players are going to want to pay those taxes not to mention live there. Canada failed already with those games in Toronto.. No one cared lol. Mexico City no.

A team in London would be a disaster I think. Nobody is going to want to play there and I'd be willing to bet a high majority of guys would leave when their rookie contracts are up. Just the time zone differences are enough to be a pain in the ass every week (especially from London to Seattle or Seattle to London for example).

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I don't understand is why the city of St. Louis has to be the ones to build the stadium in the first place and Kroenke doesn't lift a finger but yet he's willing to fully fund this Inglewood plan. I just think it's blatantly obvious that he really isn't willing to try to work with city officials in St. Louis. But as of right now, your guess about what will happen is about as good as mine as none of us will know for certain until around mid January.

Not to mention this will be our second NFL stadium in 25 years.. How often does that happen? Oh but St. Louis isn't a football town... Please.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention this will be our second NFL stadium in 25 years.. How often does that happen? Oh but St. Louis isn't a football town... Please.

I don't remember St Louis having much probably filling the dome during the GSOT days. It's like the classic quote from Field of Dreams: "If you build it, they will come." If you build a winning team, the fans will show up. You just have to give them something to cheer for. It's like the Baltimore Orioles. We were pathetic for 15 years and when Buck Showalter helped turn this team into a legitimate team that could compete again, the fans came back to OPACY in droves.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember St Louis having much probably filling the dome during the GSOT days. It's like the classic quote from Field of Dreams: "If you build it, they will come." If you build a winning team, the fans will show up. You just have to give them something to cheer for. It's like the Baltimore Orioles. We were pathetic for 15 years and when Buck Showalter helped turn this team into a legitimate team that could compete again, the fans came back to OPACY in droves.

We have had 4 seasons above 500 since 1995. Think about that.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had 4 seasons above 500 since 1995. Think about that.

I think that the fans still have a sour taste in their mouths from the Linehan and Spagnuolo era's and how pathetic and embarrassing this team was. Fisher raised the bar to below average. Until the team can show that they can win the games that they find ways to lose, the fans won't show. But if they move to LA, it will be a moot point since St Louis won't have a team to show up for. But I seriously doubt the Los Angeles fans will be too patient in waiting for this team to get good again if they do indeed move there.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to add...Could be wrong, but there are two ways that I have heard for St. Louis keeping the Rams...

1. Missouri comes up with enough money for building a new stadium to satisfy Kroenke.

2. Kroenke trades franchises with Kahn in Jacksonvillle. Kahn goes to St. Louis and builds the stadium Kroenke didn't want to and Kroenke moves the Jags to L.A...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to add...Could be wrong, but there are two ways that I have heard for St. Louis keeping the Rams...

1. Missouri comes up with enough money for building a new stadium to satisfy Kroenke.

2. Kroenke trades franchises with Kahn in Jacksonvillle. Kahn goes to St. Louis and builds the stadium Kroenke didn't want to and Kroenke moves the Jags to L.A...

I do think that #2 works best for everyone. Kahn gets to own the Rams after all and keep them in St. Louis. Kroenke can move a team to Los Angeles, increase their value and then sell the team for a huge profit and potentially buy the Broncos whenever the Bolin's would be ready to sell.

edit: If that were to happen, I'd love to see how they'd rearrange the divisions.

Last edited:

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kroneke isn't going to "add" the Chargers to his house (complex) he is building. The Chargers will probably remain in San Diego once the owner decides that Kroneke is going to take him to the cleaners to be a "partner" in LA
I heard today that Stan said he would share his venue with another team.... It's getting close to being decided.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be fooled Rambunctious. Stan's version of "sharing" comes at a hefty price and the lucky suitor is going to pay through the nose.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be fooled Rambunctious. Stan's version of "sharing" comes at a hefty price and the lucky suitor is going to pay through the nose.

Bingo, they're going to have to pay huge "rent" to Stan. They're going to have to pay portions of things like concessions, parking and ticket sales to Stan. Who does everyone think is going to pay for the stadium to be "rebranded" between games from the Rams to Chargers/Raiders and back again? We can bet it won't be Stan...

If the Raiders or Chargers moved to L.A. and joined the Rams in a stadium would they make more money than they are right now? Most likely yes, though it would take years to actually make money after one of those teams pays the NFL relocation fee...

As usual and as expected, the one who would benefit the most is Stan...

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fewer days that a huge venue like what Stan is building remains empty the better. Two teams, one AFC team and one NFC team has always been what the league has wanted for Los Angeles. If Stan is willing to share his stadium, the Chargers will jump on it and the league will have no other option but to sign on. Carson is in the dust heap of Stadium history... lol

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and the fans who want the Rams back in LA bitch about poor attendance.

And if the Kroenke plan goes through and it does take 2-3 years to build, who's to say that the fans won't already be disgruntled by a horrible product and not show up to the new stadium to begin with?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fewer days that a huge venue like what Stan is building remains empty the better. Two teams, one AFC team and one NFC team has always been what the league has wanted for Los Angeles. If Stan is willing to share his stadium, the Chargers will jump on it and the league will have no other option but to sign on. Carson is in the dust heap of Stadium history... lol

I don't think that him sharing the stadium would be the issue. The issue would be how high of a price would the other team have to pay to share the stadium with him? Retro said it best: "Stan's version of "sharing" comes at a hefty price and the lucky suitor is going to pay through the nose." If it's not feasible to Spanos and Davis, they're going to tell Stan to GFY and I'm sure a lot of owners would side with them as a result.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis committee OKs football stadium financing
By JIM SALTER
— Dec. 10, 2015 2:16 PM EST
You are here
Home » Sports governance » St. Louis committee OKs football stadium financing

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The effort to keep the NFL in St. Louis cleared a major hurdle Thursday, when a city aldermanic committee approved a financing plan for a new $1 billion stadium.

The aldermanic Ways and Means Committee approved the plan by a 7-2 vote. The full Board of Aldermen is expected to take up the issue Friday, but a final vote isn't expected until next week — ahead of a Dec. 30 deadline imposed by the NFL for the three cities whose teams want to move to Los Angeles.

Owners of the Rams, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders all have proposed relocation, perhaps as early as next season.

The good news from City Hall for St. Louis football fans was perhaps offset by skepticism from a key NFL executive.

In an interview Thursday with Bernie Miklasz on radio station WXOS-FM, NFL Executive Vice President Eric Grubman said the city "will fall short of having a compelling proposal that would attract the Rams." Grubman said the proposed stadium will "cost more than is at the drawing board at the moment, the funding has declined and new taxes are being proposed to the Rams."

David Peacock, co-chairman of the St. Louis stadium task force, called Grubman's comments a negotiating tactic.

The St. Louis proposal calls for the city to finance $150 million as part of the funding for a new stadium along the Mississippi River, near the Gateway Arch. The NFL team would pay $250 million, the league would give the team a $200 million loan, and fan seat licenses would generate $160 million. The rest of the funding would come from the state, either through tax credits or bonds.

Peacock has said the goal is to either retain the Rams or lure another team to St. Louis if owner Stan Kroenke gets his wish to relocate the franchise. Kroenke is part of a group proposing a $1.8 billion stadium in suburban Los Angeles.

The use of public money has drawn opposition at the city and state level. Last month, Republican Missouri House Speaker Todd Richardson sent Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon a list of 120 House members opposed to funding the stadium.

But supporters say the stadium will retain and create jobs and help revitalize a dilapidated area of the riverfront. Task force members say the stadium could also be used for soccer, potentially attracting a Major League Soccer team.

The Rams currently play in the Edward Jones Dome, which opened just 20 years ago and was built entirely with public money. However, it's considered outdated by NFL standards.