• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like GM DiPoto it is.....

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that the M's are extending their offer of GM to Jerry DiPoto! I like this hire, how about you?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Not jumping up and down over it. But it's a good hire since he's stats guy and hopefully he'll bring in guys that will play to the advantage of safeco field.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Not jumping up and down over it. But it's a good hire since he's stats guy and hopefully he'll bring in guys that will play to the advantage of safeco field.
I'm hoping he can get guy's with good on base percentage, or at least has knowledge of what that statistic means.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way he agreed to come here unless he got sweeping guarantees from ownership about:

1) payroll
2) hiring and firing power at all levels, majors and minors

He has way too many options open to him if he doesn't get that.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the end of McClendon as we know it. Dipoto is an analytic type of guy and McClendon is just plain old school and stubborn. If Dipoto had issues with Scioscia in Anaheim and that eventually led to his firing, I don't see how it'll work with McClendon. McClendon and Scioscia are from the same breed of old school baseball.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate Lloyd, but he has frustrated me enough that I am more than ok with a change there. Who's available that fits DiPoto's mold?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate Lloyd, but he has frustrated me enough that I am more than ok with a change there. Who's available that fits DiPoto's mold?

Dipoto's probably in the same mold as Theo Espstein of the Red Sox and Cubs, my guess is that he'll bring someone in that's probably very similar to Francona or Joe Maddon. Can't think of any candidates right now at the top of my head so will have to look into it Honestgly, can't complain considering what Maddon's has done for the Cubs this season so I'm hoping this will be the case.

I can't stand McClendon.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's official!

I'm ready for YET another fresh start, except I feel like this may be the one considering his short track record. I hope he retains Edgar, and not from a fan vantage point but rather the production shown since arriving. Everyone else, SEE YUH!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in shock.

Lincoln and Mather must've really given him a lot of incentive, because he could get higher ranking front office jobs with better teams or even with MLB if he chose to.

I'd like to see Dipoto change more than just the upper level field staff for the big club. This organization needs new scouts who understand the modern game, and even new physio/training staff at all levels, IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He left an organization that had a meddling ownership/upper management and with a stubborn manger for M's? Ya, I see no problems in our future. :L

Now if Mather's takes over more control of the organization from Lincoln, then we might be off to a good start.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pujols... and hamilton....

yep....

Another idiot at the helm.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He left an organization that had a meddling ownership/upper management and with a stubborn manger for M's? Ya, I see no problems in our future. :L

Now if Mather's takes over more control of the organization from Lincoln, then we might be off to a good start.
Scioscia has been de facto GM for a decade in Anaheim. At best, Dipoto has been co-GM with him during their tenure together. Moreno didn't back Dipoto when there was a conflict, and that's something no self-respecting GM would tolerate, so he took off immediately. And nobody in the baseball world blamed him, hence his getting hired to consult for one of the biggest market teams in baseball almost immediately.

If anything, I'm happy because there's no way in hell Dipoto would come to this team unless he were guaranteed a lot of autonomy.

And Pujols and Hamilton were all Arte, not Jerry. Even Angels fans who hate Dipoto now understand that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scioscia has been de facto GM for a decade in Anaheim. At best, Dipoto has been co-GM with him during their tenure together. Moreno didn't back Dipoto when there was a conflict, and that's something no self-respecting GM would tolerate, so he took off immediately. And nobody in the baseball world blamed him, hence his getting hired to consult for one of the biggest market teams in baseball almost immediately.

If anything, I'm happy because there's no way in hell Dipoto would come to this team unless he were guaranteed a lot of autonomy.

And Pujols and Hamilton were all Arte, not Jerry. Even Angels fans who hate Dipoto now understand that.

Ya, sounds like Mariners South to me. Dipoto out of the frying pan and now in the fire. Good news is Lincoln will give him 6 or 7 years to prove himself.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell to see how he does, no question.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, sounds like Mariners South to me. Dipoto out of the frying pan and now in the fire. Good news is Lincoln will give him 6 or 7 years to prove himself.

That is the one thing that concerns me the most and it's not because they decide to go with Dipoto but moreso by the fact that Lincoln is still around. Howie and Chuckie are notorious for meddling and it was one of the main reasons why Pat Gillick left town. Gillick was probably the last GM that had full control and he eventually couldn't take it.

Now it's down to just Lincoln but unless he somehow convinced Dipoto that there will be no meddling involve, this probably won't end well down the road too. I hope it's not just another "Yes-man" like Bavasi and Zduriencik.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the one thing that concerns me the most and it's not because they decide to go with Dipoto but moreso by the fact that Lincoln is still around. Howie and Chuckie are notorious for meddling and it was one of the main reasons why Pat Gillick left town. Gillick was probably the last GM that had full control and he eventually couldn't take it.

Now it's down to just Lincoln but unless he somehow convinced Dipoto that there will be no meddling involve, this probably won't end well down the road too. I hope it's not just another "Yes-man" like Bavasi and Zduriencik.
I think what I've been trying to say is that Dipoto won't stand for that.

And if he leaves a grotesque situation, he'll probably just get hired by another huge market team like the Red Sox for the remainder of the season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree totally. Lincoln is the wildcard in all this. I like Mather's and if he is in control he will let Dipoto do his job which I have no problem with. Another intriguing chapter in the life of a Mariners fan. For the record, I like the hiring but just am not sure of the power situation.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with the hire. Interested to see how this off season goes. Should be a pretty good indicator on how much control Dipoto actually has. I think cezero is correct to think Dipoto won't stand for any BS though. I think Dipoto looks like the right hire however we will see how the team looks in a few years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with the hire. Interested to see how this off season goes. Should be a pretty good indicator on how much control Dipoto actually has. I think cezero is correct to think Dipoto won't stand for any BS though. I think Dipoto looks like the right hire however we will see how the team looks in a few years.

What I have found in my 37 years of watching baseball is that unproven, which he still is, will take any GM job offered to stay relevant in the game. Remember there are only 30 GM jobs out there and I never read about any other team looking at him so I wouldn't get too over-reactive about him standing his ground about being the man in charge. Just saying.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I have found in my 37 years of watching baseball is that unproven, which he still is, will take any GM job offered to stay relevant in the game. Remember there are only 30 GM jobs out there and I never read about any other team looking at him so I wouldn't get too over-reactive about him standing his ground about being the man in charge. Just saying.
I definitely wouldn't say I'm too over-reactive about him. The ideal situation would be the Mariners don't put him in a situation where he needs to stand his ground. Honestly if he stands his ground or not all that means is its a loosing scenario for the Mariners. Next season and this upcoming off season should give us a little idea of how this relationship will work.