• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks Like D'Antoni Is Staying

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported in the Orange County Register/Inland Empire Press-Enterprise that the Lakers have decided to keep him for at least one more season.

According to Mark Heisler, it was reported to the newspaper by "a source inside the Lakers", but the Lakers have not officially announced anything and apparently have not told D'Antoni yet either. Apparently, the Marshall job that Dan D'Antoni just accepted was originally going to be offered to Mike, but Mike removed himself from consideration.

Heisler says the Lakers are apparently absolving D'Antoni of much of the blame for this past season given that they were missing Nash and Kobe for 141 of a possible 162 games.

Heisler made a couple of good points re: what the Lakers can do for next season to be a better team before they go after big name FA's in 2015 and/or 2016:

Re-sign Pau for one year at his current $19 million - This actually makes some sense. Heisler points out that Pau is actually the ideal center for D'Antoni's system and that their problem started with Dwight as Pau became the "odd big man out". If it works out, it gives Pau one more season at a salary he won't see again while also giving him a chance to show that his health can hold up for the longer term deal that he seeks.

They can also re-sign Swaggy P, Jodie Meeks, Kendall Marshall, etc. to nice 1 year deals as well as Steve Blake who said he's like to come back when he was traded. I'd throw Jordan Hill and Jordan Farmar to that list as well.

I agree with everyone that whether D'Antoni were returning or not, the defense MUST improve. Whether that means D'Antoni needs to spend the off-season doing the coaching version of Kobe's off-season workouts and immerse himself in defensive schemes and principles. Or whether it means hiring another defensive minded assistant to replace Dan and pair with Rambis, I don't know. But the defense HAS to improve.

In my defense of D'Antoni, I've said all along that I'd like to have seen what the team could have done if they were healthy for at least most of the season. If the Lakers handle this off-season correctly, we'll get to find out.

Thoughts?

Btw, as I was typing this I saw ESPN report that D'Antoni is staying, but the Lakers still haven't told him.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is still my opinion that Dantoni won't be there when it's time to contend. HERE'S the kicker however....another report came out saying that not only does he want to coach next year, but that he wants the option on his contract for the 2015-16 season to be picked up as well. THAT is a problem. If they pick up his option for that year, I might lose it. I'm not one that completely puts everything on him due to the injuries....but I just don't see Dantoni being the guy to lead us to the title once we put that team together, unless he transforms in some kind of off season learning as you said. As for Pau I don't mind the 1 year deal, but at some point a decision has to be made, Pau or Dantoni has to go. You can't keep both for the long haul and here's why. Since Dantoni has to have his stretch four, Pau is going to be the only big man guarding the paint...and as we've seen, that goes horribly because guards and forwards just push Pau around at the rim

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the guys upstairs are admitting defeat in '14-'15 as well, which is realistic. D'Antoni is under contract and is as good as anyone to parade as head coach next season because it really doesn't matter.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they bring back nearly everyone and add maybe Blake along with a completely healed Kobe we can get closer to .500 but like everyone else, defense is going to have to change. Maybe Embiid will replace Kaman and the paint D will improve.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they bring back nearly everyone and add maybe Blake along with a completely healed Kobe we can get closer to .500 but like everyone else, defense is going to have to change. Maybe Embiid will replace Kaman and the paint D will improve.

still hoping we have a shot at GETTING Embiid. not sure how far down the draft board he's gonna get...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid is the logical choice in the first round especially if Exum sits out a year to play for the Lakers in 2015.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now another article on Yahoo sports states that Don'tknowi's retention is not yet official. Talk about beating a dead horse.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is still my opinion that Dantoni won't be there when it's time to contend. HERE'S the kicker however....another report came out saying that not only does he want to coach next year, but that he wants the option on his contract for the 2015-16 season to be picked up as well. THAT is a problem. If they pick up his option for that year, I might lose it. I'm not one that completely puts everything on him due to the injuries....but I just don't see Dantoni being the guy to lead us to the title once we put that team together, unless he transforms in some kind of off season learning as you said. As for Pau I don't mind the 1 year deal, but at some point a decision has to be made, Pau or Dantoni has to go. You can't keep both for the long haul and here's why. Since Dantoni has to have his stretch four, Pau is going to be the only big man guarding the paint...and as we've seen, that goes horribly because guards and forwards just push Pau around at the rim

Actually, I don't have a problem if the Lakers exercise the team option on him. His reason for wanting it makes sense because he doesn't want to be viewed as a "lame duck" coach.

Just because they exercise the option, doesn't mean they can't still fire him, it just means that they have to pay him for that last season if they do. I say go ahead and exercise his option which would remove the "lame duck" label and remove that excuse if things go south again.

He could also serve a "Del Harris role". Remember, the season before Harris was hired ('92-'93) the Lakers went 33-49. Harris came in, got things turned around and organized, the Lakers added some better players a couple of seasons later (Shaq and Kobe) and then fired Harris and brought in Phil when it became apparent that Harris could only take the Lakers so far.

As for Pau, you keep Jordan Hill as your backup center and bring him in for Pau for defensive purposes. Also, Hill can spell Ryan Kelly at the 4 spot and if Pau and Hill are on the floor at the same time, Pau can slide to the 4 a few minutes at a time when necessary.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, with a healthy Kobe, the right group of players from last season and maybe another solid, but non-max FA or 2 and improve the defense to at least middle of the pack, the Lakers could be a good bit better than .500, imo.

Another point that Heisler made in the article was that if the Lakers pick ends up being outside the top 3, they may try to trade the pick for Kevin Love.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now another article on Yahoo sports states that Don'tknowi's retention is not yet official. Talk about beating a dead horse.

I wonder if D'Antoni wanting them to pick up the team option has become a sticking point or they just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to speculate TJF12. There is so much of that out there, sometimes it is better just to wait and see what does transpire and then one does not have to waste so much energy chasing the truth about a given issue regarding the Lakers' future.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, the Lakers' most important decisions will be who is on next year's roster. While I think keeping D'Antoni in the fold will do nothing to improve Lakers' prospects, you have to have the horses and they have to play like professionals. D'Antoni can only do so much.

It's going to be a wild ride for another season or two, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just concerned about losing players. We all know next year is not "the year." We all are looking to 2 seasons away. However, I don't want to lose Pau, and Kaman, and Hill, etc... And I still want Love to take us seriously.

If we can retain some of these guys, I can hopefully retain my composure as a fan for 1 more year. If we lose important pieces and become a laughing stock of the league - we will not be a destination spot for FA's in the next year. I hope there is not trickle down effect from this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's two things I want to see next season, and I couldn't give a damn who the coach is

1 - Improved D
2 - NO MORE 1 YEAR CONTRACTS.

You give guys a one year contract and they're only playing for themselves, not the team and its future.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can start with just about anybody but if they sign Swaggy P to say a three-year deal, it would set a nice precedent and other guys would catch the sentiment.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally I want Swaggy to re-sign to a longer contract, say 3yr/$12m contract and get another good player. Luol Deng would be my preference. Then start looking at filling in the other places. I'd be happy with a top 6 pick which at worst I believe leaves us with Randle - who I think would be an excellent fit for the team.

If we can end up with Exum for instance we could let Pau go and give Jordan Hill a new contract as a starter.

A team with a healthy Kobe, Deng, Swaggy and (Embiid/Exum/Randle) would be a good team!