• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking at the standings...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if we played them head to head, neutral field, who wins? unless we beat all four, we're not the 2nd best team.

Any given Sunday, Deep. I don't think any of those teams are CLEAR favorites over us at this point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if we played them head to head, neutral field, who wins? unless we beat all four, we're not the 2nd best team.

The reasons I'm not ready to say we're 2nd are simple. Our pass D and pass O. Neither are where I'd like them to be to say we are truly elite.

But we have solid run D and O?

Yes, but the passing game is more easily explosive and we are both susceptible to it and unable to employ that explosiveness (at this time).

Our pass D is not that bad. Basically, we've allowed a couple big passing plays but otherwise we've been quite solid. We're 21st in the league in passing yards, but 8th in opponent rating and tied for 7th in sacks despite having the bye. Our pass D is not bad this year.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers are going to be #2 because they just beat the Patriots. 49ers might be at #3 ahead of New England, but, I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers stayed at 4 with the Packers/Steelers/Patriots in the 1-3 spots.

Power Rankings really only exist for people who want to reference them when they are being dickhead trolls. I can't even think of a time that I've ever been discussing football with friends of other teams when one of them brings up power rankings to talk smack. Or even talking trash at a bar with my friends and some other team's fans.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not playing the 'what-if' game. Listen, less and less of what you are posting is relevant to my point, so let's just end this here - thanks.

I've read the thread to this point. Do you have a point? How can you expect anyone to speak with relevance to your point when it's so vague?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This is stupid. If those 5 teams (us, NE, Pitt, Balt and NO) all played each other on neutral fields, which of those teams goes 4-0? Is going undefeated there the only way to be second best?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, having completed the thread now, it's really simple. Crimson is right and deep and MW look like asses.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, having completed the thread now, it's really simple. Crimson is right and deep and MW look like asses.

Well, as long as I look like J-Lo's ass, I'm down with that!

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Niners are top 5 in a very mediocre NFL and that is much more than I expected which is fantastic.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Right now I think the only thing really holding this team back is Smith needs to take his game a little further. He's been pretty good at managing the game and putting us in positions to win but if we're truly be competitive against the elite teams he's needs to make a few more plays. There is still plenty of season left to sharpen his skills so I'm hopeful that he can take his game further by playoffs.

And the only reason we're not being talked about is we're winning "unconventionally" because we're not having our QB throw the ball 40+ times for 300+ yards.

But we have a completely legitimate chance at beating any team in the league including the Packers. Does that mean I would favor us to beat the Packers if we played them? No, but I feel we do have a pretty good recipe to defeat the Packers and other top teams in the league.

For starters we are running the ball really well even when teams pretty much know we're running the ball. Harbaugh and Roman have down a great job of being creative with the run game and even when teams know we're running they have no clue on how we're going to do it. One of the keys to beating a good offense is controlling the clock and keeping them off the field as much as possible.

What's funny when you look at the YDS/A against some of the teams we're playing you'll be surprised to find they have some of the worst run defenses in the league. NO is 32 with 5.5, Detroit is 30th with 5.2, Philly is 28th with 5.0, NY is 26th with 4.7, and GB is 25th with 4.6. Only Atlanta has a reasonable run defense at 9 with 4.0

Secondly we get a good pass rush from our down guys. Since we don't need to commit guys to blitzing to generate pressure we can commit them to coverage which is a double whammy against a good offense since their QB is getter pressured but his options are limited due to the coverage.

Not to mention our coverage has played pretty well thus far this year besides the Dallas game. On paper the secondary doesn't look great but I think those numbers are misleading when you dig deeper. Our pass defense is the 7th most attempted against while we're 2nd (nearly 1st) in least rushes attempted against. So basically our secondary seems worst than it is because teams basically give up running the ball against us.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha! Well, I figure if I gotta look like an ass then I'm choosing who's ass I look like!

Very well.... lol....

as long as the recently divorced Kim K is out of the question, we can move on.... :peace:

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if I am going to look like an ass. I'm going to have to go with Jessica Biel

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our pass D is not that bad. Basically, we've allowed a couple big passing plays but otherwise we've been quite solid. We're 21st in the league in passing yards, but 8th in opponent rating and tied for 7th in sacks despite having the bye. Our pass D is not bad this year.

The state presents exhibits A, B and C. Dallas, Philly and Josh Cribbs. Holding CJ without a TD was a nice effort, but he still got his catches and yards. It's not like he was shut down or anything.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We probably don't beat all 4 but we don't get blown out either. Do you think any of those 4 teams would beat us and the other 3 on a neutral field? I'd say it's highly unlikely.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco is having a great turnaround and the D is very good. Gore is a beast and Smith has turned into a solid ( if unspectacular) game manager. I think you guys could easily win 11-12 game. That said, in a 1 game playoff scenario, I think there are quite a few teams I would take ahead of SF. Packers, Saints, Falcons for sure. Id put you guys on the next level with Giants, Eagles, Lions, Bears in the NFC. I have SF at number 4 in my power ratings right now but thats not indicative of who Id take in a playoff game with all the chips on the line.