• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking at the standings...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they're not MUCH better than us.

People are acting like we shouldn't even be in the discussion. So why not?

And for the record, I meant "that much" to be a comparative statement, not an indication that people think the Ravens are MUCH better. But clearly several people on here, yourself included, don't think we should be mentioned for second in the rankings. Why is Baltimore different?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the difference between us and the Ravens is Ed Reed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People are acting like we shouldn't even be in the discussion. So why not?

And for the record, I meant "that much" to be a comparative statement, not an indication that people think the Ravens are MUCH better. But clearly several people on here, yourself included, don't think we should be mentioned for second in the rankings. Why is Baltimore different?

yes, don't feel we're the 2nd best team in the NFL. but how do you define "best"?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, that's fair. As soon as I asked it I thought about Reed. I still think we're in their ballpark, but Reed is a difference-maker at a position where we don't have a guy with great range.

so you're saying we aren't the 2nd best team?

what was your point in the first place, that we're in the conversation? if so, how is that different from "i think we're 3rd but very close to 2nd"?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

what was your point in the first place, that we're in the conversation? if so, how is that different from "i think we're 3rd but very close to 2nd"?

An awful lot of people were talking about how the Niners have been more lucky than good, or as lucky as good. I disagree. They have been good. They have gotten lucky at times, but they have made their own luck far more often. That was my first post in this thread, and my tone hasn't changed.

Now, are we the second-best team in football? I don't know. But we've played every team tough this year, have shown we can be effective in all three areas, have rendered every team that we played one-dimensional (and have injured about five RBs), and have the second-best record in football. So yeah, I'd say there's a good argument that we should be second in the rankings.

The sense I get is that people don't want to be second in the rankings because they'd prefer to be underrated than overrated. I completely agree. But objectively speaking, the Niners have been one of the most consistent and effective teams in the league.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

And for the record, Deep, your contributions to this thread include agreeing that we're not the second-best team in the league and that we could easily be 3-4 or 4-3. Let's not pretend that your position is "I think we're 3rd but very close to 2nd."

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not playing the 'what-if' game. Listen, less and less of what you are posting is relevant to my point, so let's just end this here - thanks.

Missed this little gem. Call it what you want, it's the same game plenty of people were playing on the boards last year when we lost to NO and Atlanta. What could have been.... I'm interested in what is, and we have a better win percentage - against a tough schedule, especially factoring in travel - than all but one team in the league.

And out of curiosity, do you really have such a low opinion of the other posters on this board that you think disparaging my points will somehow make them agree with your statements that my posts are irrelevant?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Some years you play hard but it doesn't bounce your way, some years it does bounce and here it is.

Well said.

Is that the only difference between last year's team and this year's team? It's bouncing our way this year? Seriously? I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sense I get is that people don't want to be second in the rankings because they'd prefer to be underrated than overrated. I completely agree. But objectively speaking, the Niners have been one of the most consistent and effective teams in the league.

The reasons I'm not ready to say we're 2nd are simple. Our pass D and pass O. Neither are where I'd like them to be to say we are truly elite.

But we have solid run D and O?

Yes, but the passing game is more easily explosive and we are both susceptible to it and unable to employ that explosiveness (at this time).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some years you play hard but it doesn't bounce your way, some years it does bounce and here it is.

Is that the only difference between last year's team and this year's team? It's bouncing our way this year? Seriously? I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.

you playing semantics too?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, and Saints best games have been better than ours, but they've also put up worst games than ours. We have shown to be a more consistent team so far this season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And for the record, Deep, your contributions to this thread include agreeing that we're not the second-best team in the league and that we could easily be 3-4 or 4-3. Let's not pretend that your position is "I think we're 3rd but very close to 2nd."

if i felt we're 3rd (or 4th or 5th), then it also means we're not 2nd, but apparently you didn't get it?

while we're on it, i don't get your position either? was it made clear and if not state it? else you're arguing nothing really?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, and Saints best games have been better than ours, but they've also put up worst games than ours. We have shown to be a more consistent team so far this season.

if we played them head to head, neutral field, who wins? unless we beat all four, we're not the 2nd best team.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't agree more. Reason why I think we should be ranked higher than the Ravens.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we played them head to head, neutral field, who wins? unless we beat all four, we're not the 2nd best team.

All of those teams are .500 or worse on the road. We're 3-0. Road wins, in my mind, judge how good a team really is. The only team on that list I would rank ahead of us is New England.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if i felt we're 3rd (or 4th or 5th), then it also means we're not 2nd, but apparently you didn't get it?

while we're on it, i don't get your position either? was it made clear and if not state it? else you're arguing nothing really?

I believe we have been more "good" than "lucky."

You said that we would be 4-3 or 3-4 but for luck. If that's our record, we're more like 15th. Above, you stated we were 3rd. So what exactly are you arguing?