• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

look at these cuts

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we would have 42 mil to spend with all those guys cut? I say do it. If you get Talib and hall in FA, then sign back Rak, draft Hageman a De out of Minn, the defense would be in good shape. Plus there would be money for Riley to come back. If Ribeye and Gettis can step up that would be huge.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we would have 42 mil to spend with all those guys cut? I say do it. If you get Talib and hall in FA, then sign back Rak, draft Hageman a De out of Minn, the defense would be in good shape. Plus there would be money for Riley to come back. If Ribeye and Gettis can step up that would be huge.

Cut away for all I care. The roster needs to be purged. We need youth and speed.

I would go for the following to address the Defense:

Walter Thurmond = CB
Linval Joseph = DE
Mike Mitchell = Safety
Brandon Spikes= ILB

That would be a fantastic and realistic FA overhaul.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with a new head coach and shit i say why not. to all of them.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut away!!!! Definetly, Cariker, Bowen, Roca....Montgomery, Chester......

Maybe Slide Lict to center this year.....

Redo polumbus as a Backup........

Paulson......dont know, we need some TE depth as Reed hasn't proven he can stay healthy and I like him Blocking better then Niles Pual....but all in all...yep...cut away!!!!

So we have dead money this year...we are still in the end seeing a cap net gain, and its not like teams dont have dead money...almost every team has some dead money.....

I can live with Golsten as well..he is good depth on the cheap......bring in competition, and if he gets beat out......Good Riddance as well

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins Salary Cap Series: Importance of Clearing Future Cap Space | Fanspeak Washington Redskins Blog

this is why you make these cuts now . 60 mil in cap space in future years to make deals with rak williams Rg3 etc .

Right now we are scheduled to have $38 million in free cap space in 2015 and $94 Million in 2016 and these numbers are based off the cap only going up $1 million per year over the next three years which wont happen. We could give RAK 10 million straight, Riley $7 million straight Hall $5 million straight and still would not have a realistic problem resigning RG3 (if he turns out to be worth it) or Williams who is actually worth it. So many people are screaming we need to cut all these guys in one breath, but we need to be cheap in the other breath. You cant have it all guys. The reality is, Gruden isnt about to gut the team and only about half of these guys are in any real peril of being cut. Dan Snyder just signed off on paying Mike Shanahan $7 million dollars to NOT coach this year. What this tells any one who bothers to do the math is that Gruden has at best three years to get the Skins into serious contention or he hits the break point where Dan would consider firing him. So the concept of gutting the team and starting from the bottom up is NOT likely to happen.

Add to it the fact that griffin has two years left on his rookie deal, three if we take the option on the deal, it all adds up to Gruden having a realistic three year window to get things turned around period. And you simply cant expect that if you gut the team as many of you are calling for.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see how cutting most of these guys is gutting the team. They are all non or under performers and can easily be replaced with like, or better, talent for cheaper. Having said that, I do agree that we will not be in a position to get rid of all of the OL. Carriker is gone. Bowen will be unless he takes a pay cut. Chester is gone. Montgomery may make it one more year, but he too may be asked to take a pay cut. Polumbus will be here, he can fill in for both tackle positions. Golston will be here, he is a good fill in. Paulson will most definitely be here.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see how cutting most of these guys is gutting the team. They are all non or under performers and can easily be replaced with like, or better, talent for cheaper. Having said that, I do agree that we will not be in a position to get rid of all of the OL. Carriker is gone. Bowen will be unless he takes a pay cut. Chester is gone. Montgomery may make it one more year, but he too may be asked to take a pay cut. Polumbus will be here, he can fill in for both tackle positions. Golston will be here, he is a good fill in. Paulson will most definitely be here.

That has been said a million times when dealing with the Redskins. And usually it turns out to be wrong. Sure we can bring in some one cheaper. But better is always debatable. And history has shown that more often than not the guy we bring in performs worse that the guy he replaced. And Im sorry, but replacing 4 out of the 5 starters on the O-line is a gutting. I have seen many people screaming that Rak isnt worth getting paid, Hall should not be resigned, Riley is worth no more than 3-4 million a year. I freely admit that this team is lacking talent in alot of areas. But the concept of fire every one and start from scratch will likely make us no better than the Raiders at this point. A smart man realizes his team has some weaknesses, but doesnt create more just for the sake of saying Im changing things. Sure, bring in new talent, but you dont replace a guy until you are relatively sure his replacement is actually better. Otherwise you end up over paying guys like Josh Wilson.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now we are scheduled to have $38 million in free cap space in 2015 and $94 Million in 2016 and these numbers are based off the cap only going up $1 million per year over the next three years which wont happen. We could give RAK 10 million straight, Riley $7 million straight Hall $5 million straight and still would not have a realistic problem resigning RG3 (if he turns out to be worth it) or Williams who is actually worth it. So many people are screaming we need to cut all these guys in one breath, but we need to be cheap in the other breath. You cant have it all guys. The reality is, Gruden isnt about to gut the team and only about half of these guys are in any real peril of being cut. Dan Snyder just signed off on paying Mike Shanahan $7 million dollars to NOT coach this year. What this tells any one who bothers to do the math is that Gruden has at best three years to get the Skins into serious contention or he hits the break point where Dan would consider firing him. So the concept of gutting the team and starting from the bottom up is NOT likely to happen.

Add to it the fact that griffin has two years left on his rookie deal, three if we take the option on the deal, it all adds up to Gruden having a realistic three year window to get things turned around period. And you simply cant expect that if you gut the team as many of you are calling for.

i can when those guys are substandard everyone on that list is substandard . and why spend money on avg ? pay avg for avg not pay elite for avg

there are about 10 guys on this roster who are above avg at their positions on this roster we have perhaps 5 more who are avg . you really dont have much choice but to turn over this roster

and i say it will take at least 2 years to get the players and one more to have a chance to prove it which fits into your arbitrary 3 years

look at this roster . at qb we are set , the o/line has one guy (williams ) and maybe 3 possibles in walton , gettis and ribeye the rest need replacing

we are set at RB , at TE we have one guy , the rest are scrubs who couldnt start for another legit contender

at wr we have one guy who could start . the rest are substandard

on defense at olb we are set at ILb we have one guy in the defensive backfield we have 2 possibles (hall and amerson ) the rest are scrubs or unproven

the d/line we have cofield and i like baker , the rest are substandard

our punter is awful , the rest of the special teams are awful (lack of depth on the team ) and the kicker is decent

so shark you are looking at gutting this roster i dont know how you get around it

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no value in retaining expensive under performers. None. Chester was one of the worst rated OL last year. Montgomery wasn't much better. Hell, we probably have better sitting on our bench. If not, I know we can find better in FA. Bowen is not living up to his contract. He can easily be replaced for better value. Carriker is done. He hasn't played in 2 years. How is that helping us? I get what you say about keeping solid contributors and maybe paying a bit of a premium for continuity, but these guys are not worth keeping In fact, if I'm gruden, I push to do it now while I have a grace period to put my team in place.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no value in retaining expensive under performers. None. Chester was one of the worst rated OL last year. Montgomery wasn't much better. Hell, we probably have better sitting on our bench. If not, I know we can find better in FA. Bowen is not living up to his contract. He can easily be replaced for better value. Carriker is done. He hasn't played in 2 years. How is that helping us? I get what you say about keeping solid contributors and maybe paying a bit of a premium for continuity, but these guys are not worth keeping In fact, if I'm gruden, I push to do it now while I have a grace period to put my team in place.

So you bring some one in and if they beat them out fine. You cut these guys and sign a bunch of free agents and they suck, and every one will be complaining why didnt we keep (insert player name here) For every guy we cut, we have to sign some one. Im not a fan of signing guys and just handing them starting roles. And MOST smart teams dont simply cut half the line and assume they can find better for less. I agree Carriker is done. but dude we had a top ten rushing game. And i think our passing game sucked for more reasons than just lack of talent along the o-line, but we wont go there.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put it like this j_y...

Assume you know your car is a piece of crap. But for all its piece of crapness it still gets you to and from work most days of the week. Do you call a scrap yard and take $300 for it and then go to the dealership to try and buy a new car knowing that you have no choice but to sign what ever they offer because you just junked the only car you had. Or do you drive it to the dealership, see what they offer you, and if they offer you an ass raping, decide to live with your piece of crap a little longer until you find an adequate replacement??

Same concept.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I don't see it that way. To me, its more like your expensive BMW is a lemon. Its in the shop or just not living up to what you paid for it. You trade it in and take the proceeds and buy a nice, used, low mileage reliable Honda. You still have money left over so you can also buy an extended warranty. You aren't going to win any road races, but you know you are going to have a vehicle that will always be there for you at an affordable price. Carriker, Bowen, and Chester are the BMWs. Baker is the Honda. Which would you rather have?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you bring some one in and if they beat them out fine. You cut these guys and sign a bunch of free agents and they suck, and every one will be complaining why didnt we keep (insert player name here) For every guy we cut, we have to sign some one. Im not a fan of signing guys and just handing them starting roles. And MOST smart teams dont simply cut half the line and assume they can find better for less. I agree Carriker is done. but dude we had a top ten rushing game. And i think our passing game sucked for more reasons than just lack of talent along the o-line, but we wont go there.

Shark, in my original post, I said that we couldn't get rid of the entire OL this year. Chester is the only one that I said had to go this year. Montgomery is a maybe. Polumbus and Licht will be here, but maybe not starting (actually, Licht may be our starting Center, his natural position).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I don't see it that way. To me, its more like your expensive BMW is a lemon. Its in the shop or just not living up to what you paid for it. You trade it in and take the proceeds and buy a nice, used, low mileage reliable Honda. You still have money left over so you can also buy an extended warranty. You aren't going to win any road races, but you know you are going to have a vehicle that will always be there for you at an affordable price. Carriker, Bowen, and Chester are the BMWs. Baker is the Honda. Which would you rather have?

j_y... I think you guys are being emotional about it. And if you look at best case scenario, we sign some one and they beat these guys out fine. If they dont we arent in a situation where we are forced to start a lesser player. And long run it actually serves the Skins better if all these guys are June 1st cuts as apposed to out right cuts. So it is more logical to bring some one in and IF they beat out Chester, Montgomery etc. then cut them. If not then we keep the better player which is better for the team as a whole.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j_y... I think you guys are being emotional about it. And if you look at best case scenario, we sign some one and they beat these guys out fine. If they dont we arent in a situation where we are forced to start a lesser player. And long run it actually serves the Skins better if all these guys are June 1st cuts as apposed to out right cuts. So it is more logical to bring some one in and IF they beat out Chester, Montgomery etc. then cut them. If not then we keep the better player which is better for the team as a whole.

No one is beating anyone out by June 1. They won't even have begun practice by then. This means that Chester has to go into training camp and you lose your cap savings this year. What are you trying to save? The worst offensive guard in the league? The $4M that you save by cutting him this year can land a pretty darn good, experienced guard like wade smith or jon asamoah, or even ritchie incognito (if you were so inclined). There are 7 ro 8 FA guards available that would all come in for the savings on Chester that would out perform him.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shark , how do you sign a Mack and have him compete with monty ? i can see walton

how do you free up money for better talent without cutting some under performers

why are you so insistent on keeping scrubs from a 3-13 team and acting like we cant recover from letting go a bowen , or carriker a stieger or a chester or apolumbus or a monty

since when did paulson become irreplaceable ?

why do we need to pay elite money for avg talent ?

i dont care how much or what philosophy you have in FA . some will hit and some will miss but we already know what the above players bring to the table . high pay for little production