• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Longhorn News, not just football

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wants to record a copy of the game for me? I'll be searching the net for pirate broadcasts, but they usually suck.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Place yet bets with vBookie and support the Horns. You can't buy anything with the winnings.

Am I really going to be the only one to bet on the game?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray got Big 12 Offensive player of the week for the K State game. Jeffcoat got Co-Defensive POTW, also.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got an email from the school. The AD is selling tickets at face to RRSO. These are unsold student tickets. That my friends is where Texas Mack Brown Football is at the moment... unable to sell out the biggest game of the yr..

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodds is announcing his retirement, effective at the end of his contract, Aug 2014.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Whaley go the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against OU.

Whaley had four tackles and dropped into coverage on a zone blitz to intercept a pass and return it 31 yards for a touchdown in Texas’ 36-20 win over Oklahoma. His first-quarter score put the Longhorns up 10-3, a lead they it never relinquished. Whaley and the Longhorn defense held OU to 130 rushing yards, 133 passing yards, 263 total yards and just one offensive TD – numbers significantly lower than the Sooners’ averages.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Whaley go the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against OU.

Whaley had four tackles and dropped into coverage on a zone blitz to intercept a pass and return it 31 yards for a touchdown in Texas’ 36-20 win over Oklahoma. His first-quarter score put the Longhorns up 10-3, a lead they it never relinquished. Whaley and the Longhorn defense held OU to 130 rushing yards, 133 passing yards, 263 total yards and just one offensive TD – numbers significantly lower than the Sooners’ averages.
-
I thought MB was a bigger presence in the middle. Whaley sat for a good portion of the game after that run. I swear these awards are just based on an ESPN highlight or a quick glance at the box score. The other guy that seems to always be under the radar is Reed. HE is easily the defensive MVP for the season (please dont chuckle).

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Santos played a good game. Hope his injury is minor.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myck Kybongo has been waived by the Spurs. He had signed a free agent contract and is expected to play for the Austin dLeague team.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Women's bBall team has received a committment from a 6'3" post player from Crosby Middle School. Yep, she's Charli Collier and is 8th grader and due to graduate from HS in 2018.

No mention of the heights of her parents.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who don't read the Dallas Morning News, this is my opinion. They like to stir the pot and attack UT. Just recently another attack on UT was penned by Jeff Sandefer. It seems Jeff wanted to take over UT's Business School and was turned down. Perhaps this is why he's so pissed at UT?

Either way a recent mailing by "Enpower Texans" inspired Austin resident and former Ambassdor, Pam Willeford, to also take up the pen in defense of UT. Good reading.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myck Kybongo has been waived by the Spurs. He had signed a free agent contract and is expected to play for the Austin dLeague team.

Why do we keep having our bball players leave way too early, only to watch them struggle to even make a squad in the pros or not even get drafted?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we keep having our bball players leave way too early, only to watch them struggle to even make a squad in the pros or not even get drafted?

They can make an excessive amount of money with a contract. Cory Joseph will make $1.1 million in 2013-14, $2 mil in '14 and $3 mil in 2015-16.
Kybongo rolled the dice and lost. The max salary for D League is ~$25k.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise. Never thought Kybongo was anywhere near ready for the next level.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can make an excessive amount of money with a contract. Cory Joseph will make $1.1 million in 2013-14, $2 mil in '14 and $3 mil in 2015-16.
Kybongo rolled the dice and lost. The max salary for D League is ~$25k.

Sure but they've got to see what they are leaving on the table from past players experience. I mean most of these guys are barely even getting drafted - or not at all. Stay another year, get a late 1st or early 2nd round pick, increase your odds or even getting drafted, get a much bigger contract, and finish a free education.

If they were leaving early and were projected top 15 picks, I would understand. But to leave all that on the table just so you MAY get drafted and MAY make a league minimum contract?:scratch:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kybongo was making a huge mistake. I guess he had someone in his ear telling him to go. He should have stayed one more year and worked on his shot consistency.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, he only played what, a fifth of the season? Oh well.

Joseph went from the Toros to the Spurs, so I guess he at least has a slight chance...

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but they've got to see what they are leaving on the table from past players experience. I mean most of these guys are barely even getting drafted - or not at all. Stay another year, get a late 1st or early 2nd round pick, increase your odds or even getting drafted, get a much bigger contract, and finish a free education.

If they were leaving early and were projected top 15 picks, I would understand. But to leave all that on the table just so you MAY get drafted and MAY make a league minimum contract?:scratch:

Kybongo is the only Longhorn that I remember who didn't get drafted. If he were willing to go overseas, he could easily make 250-500k/year.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kybongo is the only Longhorn that I remember who didn't get drafted. If he were willing to go overseas, he could easily make 250-500k/year.

Kybongo and J'Coven Brown left early and didn't get drafted.

Joseph left early despite criticism and went 29th. Is averaging 3pts/game, but he is on a roster.

Hamilton left early and went 26th. He may turn into a good player, but is only getting garbage time minutes.

Bradley left early and went 16th. This kid will make it, no doubt. However he still went 16th, and played on a couple D league teams already. He won't be demoted anymore I know and will end up getting a bigger contract. However, stay 1 more year, go top 10, never have to be demoted, and get 1 more year education.

Part of me is being homer biased. I just imagine how good our roster would have been had we been able to keep these players another year or two. The other part of me is being realistic too. Not one of these guys ended up being a high draft pick, signing a huge contract, or starting or even playing meaningful minutes right away. I don't know what's going on there, but players do not want to stay and play for Barnes. Whether it be leaving early or transferring - they are dropping out like flies.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph specifically mentioned increased training time when he declared for the draft. The NCAA limits professional practice time for college B Ball players. Kybongo is probably staying at Joseph's Austin home for free, which would be a rules violation if he was a college player.
When 'lots' becomes only 2, it isn't 'lots'.
Barnes stresses defense, team play and is highly critical of player failures. IMO young kids today have high expectations of their own ability and rarely take the shit that Barnes dishes out.
I rented my house in Austin for 2 years, which I will never do again. One of my residents complained that I was too demanding. He broke his lease by joining the Marines. I laughed inwardly of his future encounter with his first Drill Instructor. Me too tough, lmao. ... and no I didn't try to enforce him to 'respect' the lease agreement.