• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Long-term OF choices

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't think he can do what he did last year?
40+ sb? 100+runs, 20+hr?

Look at his history.
1. His batting average in close to 2,000 at bats is .247. Now add in the fact he has only 197 BB in 3, 305 at bats (major & minor). Finally add on his career .294 OBP (.305 last season).

Add those three things up and you get a free swinger who doesn't take many walks and on averge will go 1-4. If you're not getting on base you can't score runs so asking for 100+ runs is a little much.

2. He has never hit double digit HR's in his entire major or minor league career until last year. His highest doubles total was 24 in 2008. If he had hit 30+ doubles on a regular basis in the minors you can say maybe it just tooks some time for the power to emerge, but given the lack of pop conventional wisdom says he just had a good year last year. 20+ homers seems like a stretch here as well.

So he can't hit for a decent batting average, doesn't take walks and has limited power. That makes him a stolen base guy. He does possess the ability to steal 30+ bases, but if he doesn't hit for a decent average or take walks he's gonna be moved down in the order which not only affects his runs but his SB chances.

He's had a nice two weeks which will get the hopes up of many, and maybe he has learned from his mistakes and made some improvements, but by looking at all his numbers I wouldn't bet on it.

IMO Gomez a free swinger who can give you hope some weeks and will give you some stolen bases, but more often than not you will curse him because when he slumps....he slumps. I'm not buying the hype from last season. I would rather have Frazier who may not have a ML resume, but has minor league numbers to support his numbers from last year, hits in a good park and has a very good surrounding cast.
:2cents:

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I own both Frazier and Gomez. Here is my take on each:

Carlos Gomez: The BA is not real, but the counting stats are. He has the ability to hit 20 bombs and steal 45 bases. The only question is whether or not his role on the team will allow hit. He has batted 6th or 7th in most games despite owning a BA over .350. If he stays in the bottom third of the order, he will not be able to steal many bases or score many runs. When Aramis and Hart come back, he could be hitting 8th. I believe the Brewers are absolute idiots not to find a spot for him in the top 5, but oh well.

Frazier- he is eligible all over and he has outstanding power. He will also chip in a few steals. Think 25-30 HR and 10 steals over the course of the season. His batting average will end up being about the same or even a little better than Gomez, but he is showing some Jay Bruce streakiness early on.

IMO, Gomez is more talented and has more upside, but Frazier has the safer role. It is a fair trade and whether or not you take it should depend on your risk tolerance for Gomez. If he starts batting 8th in a month, you may regret not pulling the trigger. If he starts batting 2nd, you will want to keep him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you need to move your ars and pick him up then Rev :D

I'm assuming no MI?
I'm gonna have to find a pic of Andrelton with a cape. Only thing that gets anyone's attention haha!
My Prediction: as soon as mid-2014, Simmons becomes a better keeper than Andrus. (I wouldn't do an even swap today btw)
But in leagues with no MI, and if you're sitting on Tulo with 6 SPs on your bench (because scoring system flawed ha!) ,then I can understand not jumping. Me, I'd deal Tulo to fill a need and grab Simmons :P

I got Simmons back but had to drop Espinosa.

I am still on the wall about trading Gomez for Frazier, hehe. I understand all the things you've told me but I don't know if I am able to get rid of him at this time.

I do however have an offer I sent to a manager. I get Zobrist + Minor and he gets Gomez and Rollins. Fingers crossed, I think he may be thinking about it cause he is online and hasn't declined it. ;]

Last edited by a moderator:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got Simmons back but had to drop Espinosa.

You've done well, young grasshopper :kk:

I do however have an offer I sent to a manager. I get Zobrist + Minor and he gets Gomez and Rollins. Fingers crossed, I think he may be thinking about it cause he is online and hasn't declined it. ;]

I think you'd be robbing him blind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've done well, young grasshopper :kk:

I think you'd be robbing him blind

Ye and still no action taken on the offer.

I am going to keep trying to shop Gomez and if I cant get anything better than Frazier I will likely go back to that if the offer I proposed gets declined.