• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lombardi should be fired

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan was an idiot too...until he got a team that could block.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The complaint of Lombardi isn't brand new.

Even though I don't like the constant coach and GM bashing, I admit I probably started on Lombardi before anyone.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fire Lombardi and then what? Replace him with another unknown? Put the entire offense through yet another new system in two years? I have to believe Caldwell is going to stick with him for at least another year. Caldwell wouldn't do himself any favors by firing him, especially if the season takes a turn for the worst.

Its quite possible that the playbook was too complex for the team this year and they hit a lot of growing pains. It shows the oline cant perform in this system for whatever reason. Thats not Lombardi's fault. Execution is the biggest problem theyre having.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still have to design a scheme that fits your players. Otherwise you are not much of a coordinator. Trying to squeeze players into a system that exposes their weeknesses benefits no one. A good OC knows how to design a system to get the most out of what he has. If Lombardi figures out how to do that then he will be worth keeping. If not then he is nothing but a single scheme coach.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the offense struggles tomorrow, they'll take away his play calling duties.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the offense struggles tomorrow, they'll take away his play calling duties.

If they don't, that means Caldwell has too much involvement in the offense to begin with.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Austin came in here and switched us to a full time 3-4 and we were bottom 5 defense, I bet you about 90% of the fan base would be calling for his head. Lombardi might be up to 25% and that group gets shit, and the offense has all the investments.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still have to design a scheme that fits your players. Otherwise you are not much of a coordinator. Trying to squeeze players into a system that exposes their weeknesses benefits no one. A good OC knows how to design a system to get the most out of what he has. If Lombardi figures out how to do that then he will be worth keeping. If not then he is nothing but a single scheme coach.

This.

My first clue that Lombardi was a fuck-up, was that he thought he needed Ebron to run his offense. You don't draft players to fit your offense (not to be confused with drafting skills to fit your scheme). You design an offense that fits your players.

Hell. I'll bet Austin could run a better offense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys honestly think they didnt build the offense around the strengths of the plyers? I dont buy that. I thought when they brought Lombardi in, we were told this offense would be much like the Saints as far as scheme and concepts but they would implement things from Rutgers and keep some of Linehan's stuff they liked.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys honestly think they didnt build the offense around the strengths of the plyers? I dont buy that. I thought when they brought Lombardi in, we were told this offense would be much like the Saints as far as scheme and concepts but they would implement things from Rutgers and keep some of Linehan's stuff they liked.

Teams play Detroit's offense with pressure. Hard to implement shit when Stafford has been sacked, hurried, or hit as much as he has been. It makes defending the run easy when you only rush 4 people.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wish that was the blocking scheme.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent you guys realized that whatever the Lions do, you will complain about it? Lmao. If the Lions run twice right there and dont get it, everyone would be asking why we didnt throw to our big guys. I was fine with the call but pissed with the result.

They went with an empty backfield....twice. Did you miss that part ? It wasn't just that they threw, though I was yelling at the TV for them to jam it in after they got it to 2nd & goal inside the 2, so you're wrong that everyone would be asking why they didn't throw to their big guys. It was that they announced to the Pats they were going to throw. That's the problem. It's hard enough to throw down there when the defense only has 10 yards to defend when they don't know you're going to throw. Why telegraph it ? It's just mind boggling to me and I wish someone would have asked about it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where I have a problem when we talk about the oline and ot being the scheme thats causing a problem:

There are only "some" missed assignments here and there but these guys are getting beat down like rag dolls out there. I dont think thats scheme. I hold the players accountable first and I dont even see where theyre doing anything right to make the scheme work.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant agree Waz.

I favored either call their as both run or pass were high percentage plays. ITS EXECUTION man! Catch the damn football and theres no problem to discuss. This team still struggles to get one yard on those runs so why automatically think Bell would have got in?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you can execute and you have good players, it doesn't matter what you show the defense. Nobody stops NE. Nobody stops GB.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where I have a problem when we talk about the oline and ot being the scheme thats causing a problem:

There are only "some" missed assignments here and there but these guys are getting beat down like rag dolls out there. I dont think thats scheme. I hold the players accountable first and I dont even see where theyre doing anything right to make the scheme work.

I don't doubt scheme plays a huge part....zone block versus trap blocking.

Last season Sims was not seen as a liability and Raiola even had a decent year. This year has been a cluster and with Reiff and Warford hurt it makes matters worse. But the line still hasn't kept Stafford upright and pass blocking isn't so much about scheme as it is technique.

If Stafford gets time he becomes a much more efficient passer. Last Sunday the Patriots had him rattled. He was getting hit constantly, and I think his ill advised slide was part of the fact he was rattled....still doesn't make it better or take him off the hook but the guy was rushed all day long.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Lombardi's defense, I believe his game plan was going to build around our 2 and 3 tight end sets...taking advantage of the big guys who with catching talent, he was forced to go adjust and go to the 3 wide receiver sets....because he had no choice. Having 2-3 tight ends in there allows you to help with a shitty offensive line in both run and pass plays. The 3 wide sets exposed our weak offensive line which also has been musical chairs due to injuries. Not to mention our backfield and Calvin Johnson have also missed much of the season. Just sayin

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Lombardi's defense, I believe his game plan was going to build around our 2 and 3 tight end sets...taking advantage of the big guys who with catching talent, he was forced to go adjust and go to the 3 wide receiver sets....because he had no choice. Having 2-3 tight ends in there allows you to help with a shitty offensive line in both run and pass plays. The 3 wide sets exposed our weak offensive line which also has been musical chairs due to injuries. Not to mention our backfield and Calvin Johnson have also missed much of the season. Just sayin

:bullshit:
So his blocking scheme probably requires 2 TEs to keep the QB upright and that's why the O-line looks like crap. Its the same group from last year except Waddell was out a few games. Pretty much the same issues when he came back. No lineman other than Reiff looked decent this year. You cant say all of a sudden we have a weak O-Line when it was one of the better ones in the league last year when they had less experience.