• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Logical Opinion

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"As I see it, the problem is the Cowboys missed their window. They had pretty good shots in 2006-09 and won one playoff game. The one that hurts the most is the 2007 season. It was set up for them to take the NFC and they failed. Wade Phillips gave them the out late in the '07 season by letting up. The team did not react the right way, and I'm not talking about a trip to Cabo or anything like that. After the Cowboys beat the Green Bay Packers that year they lost their momentum and couldn't get it back, losing to the Giants at home. If they win that game -- or the Seattle playoff game the previous year -- and I think a lot of these narratives that have come about are entirely different. Since the Cowboys missed that window, they have been chasing it ever since without success and the personnel has not been as good the last three or four years, despite the proclamations from those far away that the Cowboys have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. They haven't had that. They have had good 'name' players but spots 15-53 on the roster have been lacking.

It's really as simple as that....yet Dallas is suppose to have this all world talent

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shawn (NC Mountains): Given that Philly, Washington and Giants have made some impressive moves in free agency. Are the Cowboys the worst team in our division?

Todd Archer: If you want to give out trophies for offseason work that is less than a month old, then sure the Cowboys are the worst team in the division. But how many times have the Redskins won the Super Bowl in an offseason only to implode? What happened to the Eagles' dream team from a few years ago? I'm not picking the Cowboys to win the division or make the playoffs, but I'm not saying it's impossible either. There are a lot of moves left to make. The Cowboys have been the only team to compete for the NFC East title the last three seasons, so there is talent here. It just needs more supplementing before the games start in September.

Maybe that's too optimistic of a view.

Optimistic view?
I wouldn't think so if you've been a fan of this team. I would hope that would be a typical fan's view on their team going into the season. I know there is nothing about the other three NFC East teams that say's Dallas won't compete for the division. It kinda all starts there with any team and Dallas has as gooda chance has any NFC east team. That optimistic view is why this team is and shouldn't be thinking anything rebuilding. Draft well and that's called rebuilding!

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with all of that.

Especially the "window closed" part.

The problem now lies in creating the cap space to rebuild...... and quietly I think that is what is happening without the Jones' admitting it.

the only starters from that 13-3 squad left are Romo and Witten. Free was there but wasn't a starter.

and we are finally down to 3 top position contracts. Romo Witten and Carr.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Division looks no better and not much different than it did last year. No way I say we can't win it and of course I also wouldn't say we WILL win it..We are "in the mix"

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Division looks no better and not much different than it did last year. No way I say we can't win it and of course I also wouldn't say we WILL win it..We are "in the mix"

I agree with you ..... but at the same time we are in such a tight strangle hold with the cap the ONLY way we can improve is through the draft.

Which I think is the key reason we are .500

Truth be told .... We just don't get better. Other teams get better or worse. We stay the same.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are one of those teams that can honestly beat any team in the league. Problem is we are also one of those teams that can look super one week & then lose to the worst team in the league the very next week.
My hopeful side is we have some key young players step up & play well. Our coaching changes help a ton. (think our coaching is our weakest link) If those things dont change. We will always be a 7-9 to 9-7 team. All we need is a 2 game swing, & we woulld now be a 9-7 to 11-5 team. As horrible as we make our team sound when we criticize it. We are like about 20 other teams. Not far off from going either direction. Really good to really bad. I just hope we dont stay the same.

I am probably more interested in this draft than I have been in quite a few years. Not because I of some super Rookie to be drafted but because I will find the middle rounds to be the key this year.

I am optimisitically hopeful right now.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
injuries are never a good excuse but they have to factor in Dallas's case. The last two years have been off the wall. It's a balanced league and today's NFL requires luck with regards to injuries like no other time in pro football. Fastest way to derail a season IMO

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
injuries are never a good excuse but they have to factor in Dallas's case. The last two years have been off the wall. It's a balanced league and today's NFL requires luck with regards to injuries like no other time in pro football. Fastest way to derail a season IMO

It's true injuries have played a major role in Dallas in past 2 years..... But players like Ratt, Ware, Austin all in their 30s which is when they start breaking down.

What it really shows though is a lack of quality depth. Which means we aren't drafting well in the mid to late rounds

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that opinion. Saying the Cowboys have one of the most talented teams in the NFL has been one of the most overused phrases in football since 2007. It has also been a huge misconception and has often been used by trolls in order to sling mud at the Cowboys for not getting it done. But I guess that's understandable when we have an owner who constantly overrates the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about 07 was we really werent bitten by the injury bug that yr. Ferguson went out game 1, and that was a big loss but we played well without him. Glenn was basically out all yr. Not sure how healthy TO was the final game, but other than those I really cant think of many more major losses.

2008- I thought was our best team with all of those CBs- Newman, Jenks, Henry , Pac Man. Lots of problems that yr though with team chemistry.

2009- Romo matures and almost everything else started slipping eventhough we won a playoff game.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about 07 was we really werent bitten by the injury bug that yr. Ferguson went out game 1, and that was a big loss but we played well without him. Glenn was basically out all yr. Not sure how healthy TO was the final game, but other than those I really cant think of many more major losses.

2008- I thought was our best team with all of those CBs- Newman, Jenks, Henry , Pac Man. Lots of problems that yr though with team chemistry.

2009- Romo matures and almost everything else started slipping eventhough we won a playoff game.

but the injuries mentioned here were in regards to the last two seasons

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry did the right thing in extending Romo and trying to win, and he's been drafting better lately. Without the massive injuries, they would have won the division three straight years. Now it's time to rebuild, and it looks like he is easing that way. He just dug himself a hole that will take longer than a year or two to come out of. A couple of decent years of work as GM doesn't make up for 18 terrible ones

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry did the right thing in extending Romo and trying to win, and he's been drafting better lately. Without the massive injuries, they would have won the division three straight years. Now it's time to rebuild, and it looks like he is easing that way. He just dug himself a hole that will take longer than a year or two to come out of. A couple of decent years of work as GM doesn't make up for 18 terrible ones

I actually agree with you ..... dont think we dig out in a year..... but IF finally Jerry has smartened up ... we can dig out in 2 years... draft good during those two... stay in the talk as far as the division goes ....

But no I don't see Superbowl ..... I'll yell for joy if we do .... but just dont see it .... too many holes and lack of depth

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you ..... but at the same time we are in such a tight strangle hold with the cap the ONLY way we can improve is through the draft.

Truth be told .... We just don't get better. Other teams get better or worse. We stay the same.

I agree, but my thinking is that 9-7 will be right in the mix for the division again and we always seem to be around there going into week 17

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see it this way. I think Dallas did what had to be done and the cap looks pretty darn good sitting here today.....much better in 2015.

I think we compete in this division because it's weak and our top 15/20 talent is flat out better than the other 3 teams. I think we've been 500 because we're a stupid team that has had brain fart decisions and poor player evaluations more than we've stayed the same. Substance shows itself when it's absolutely required and for many of reasons over the last three years, this team shits the bed. GM, head coach, star players....nobody escapes as to why.

Jerry said last week at the owners meeting. This is no rebuild, not when you have a Tony Romo it's not. As I said when Ware was kicked to the curb, Jerry just needed money from his Ratliff, spencer, carr and scandrick stupidity. The only rebuild (if that) is somebody ( Rod?) is giving jerry some strong advise on how to tweek talent and cap dollars before that window is completely slammed shut.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it this way. I think Dallas did what had to be done and the cap looks pretty darn good sitting here today.....much better in 2015.

I think we compete in this division because it's weak and our top 15/20 talent is flat out better than the other 3 teams. I think we've been 500 because we're a stupid team that has had brain fart decisions and poor player evaluations more than we've stayed the same. Substance shows itself when it's absolutely required and for many of reasons over the last three years, this team shits the bed. GM, head coach, star players....nobody escapes as to why.

Jerry said last week at the owners meeting. This is no rebuild, not when you have a Tony Romo it's not. As I said when Ware was kicked to the curb, Jerry just needed money from his Ratliff, spencer, carr and scandrick stupidity. The only rebuild (if that) is somebody ( Rod?) is giving jerry some strong advise on how to tweek talent and cap dollars before that window is completely slammed shut.

I see your point of view .... but here is where I have to throw you a monkey wrench......

we do have a one year option on Smith .... Cost 10 million to take it though .... Take it ... and he improves his value goes even higher

Dez is a free agent after this year.... Murray as well

we are right at 20 million under the cap for next year .... So resign Dez or franchise him.... and take the option on Smith ..... more restructures ....... so we aren't out of cap hell at all

Once again we stay the same

No money for free agents ... and middle of the pact in the draft

Im at a point as a fan Im looking at the future .... Cap strapped and middle of the draft ... damn sure isnt a solution

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point of view .... but here is where I have to throw you a monkey wrench......

we do have a one year option on Smith .... Cost 10 million to take it though .... Take it ... and he improves his value goes even higher

Dez is a free agent after this year.... Murray as well

we are right at 20 million under the cap for next year .... So resign Dez or franchise him.... and take the option on Smith ..... more restructures ....... so we aren't out of cap hell at all

Once again we stay the same

No money for free agents ... and middle of the pact in the draft

Im at a point as a fan Im looking at the future .... Cap strapped and middle of the draft ... damn sure isnt a solution

and this year we were what...25/30M over?

there is no getting around Smith. That's smart money no matter the cap.
Dez? I say play it out and see where you are after this next season, same with Murray. It wouldn't be good business to sign.

I think restructures are part of football to a degree. As long as jerry has a breath, the future will always be now. The Romo signing all but assured that

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and this year we were what...25/30M over?

there is no getting around Smith. That's smart money no matter the cap.
Dez? I say play it out and see where you are after this next season, same with Murray. It wouldn't be good business to sign.

I think restructures are part of football to a degree. As long as jerry has a breath, the future will always be now. The Romo signing all but assured that

Again agree ... if you read the topic Jarntt made on "dez rules" I said make him play the year out

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is my thing- with a healthy offense - anything is possible. We put a lot of firepower out there and Romo and Co. normally keeps us in games whether it turns into a heartbreaking loss or not. If only we could win those losses. I personally think we have a nice group of starters on both sides. We may be middle of the road in areas but we are are very good in places as well. Superbowl Champs