• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lockette claims AJ Jenkins will "surprise a lot of people"

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockette: 49ers Jenkins will 'surprise a lot of people' - NFL.com

"Last year, he took it as a building year. This year from what I've seen so far, it's night and day. I expect big things out of him. He expects big things out of himself, and (quarterback Colin Kaepernick) expects big things out of him."

With not much going on I decided to make this its own thread. Feel free to move it if you feel otherwise.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
waste of a pick thus far... thanks Jenks....

without trading back to the back end of the first(Staley), have we drafted a good player with a late first?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lockette: 49ers Jenkins will 'surprise a lot of people' - NFL.com

"Last year, he took it as a building year. This year from what I've seen so far, it's night and day. I expect big things out of him. He expects big things out of himself, and (quarterback Colin Kaepernick) expects big things out of him."

With not much going on I decided to make this its own thread. Feel free to move it if you feel otherwise.

the #3 WR should be his to lose, he has been in the system one year (over his competition), should be making the biggest jump in the learning curve, has been working out off season, and has worked with Kaep catching his bullets.

not claiming he will in fact be #3 for game 1, but right now its his to lose. he will get the benefit of the doubt during OTA's, TC, and Pre-Season. he'll get the most reps till someone CLEARLY beats him out.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the #3 WR should be his to lose, he has been in the system one year (over his competition), should be making the biggest jump in the learning curve, has been working out off season, and has worked with Kaep catching his bullets.

not claiming he will in fact be #3 for game 1, but right now its his to lose. he will get the benefit of the doubt during OTA's, TC, and Pre-Season. he'll get the most reps till someone CLEARLY beats him out.

I was never a big fan of the pick, but after Baalke and Harbaugh's first draft together it was hard not to trust them. With a solid off season he should be able to make some sort impact this year. All though with Patton, KW, and Mario Manningham it will be a tough competition. I havent been more excited about our WR's since TO and Rice were still a tandom.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not surprising me. A lot of fans will be enamored with his "development", but again I'm telling you, the game was always there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was never a big fan of the pick, but after Baalke and Harbaugh's first draft together it was hard not to trust them. With a solid off season he should be able to make some sort impact this year. All though with Patton, KW, and Mario Manningham it will be a tough competition. I havent been more excited about our WR's since TO and Rice were still a tandom.

agree and i still trust them on Jenkins.

no doubt Manningham, KW, and Patton will make it tough competition. if all are fully healthy, IMO Manningham will eventually become the 3rd. but even IF this happens, we'll REALLY need Jenkins in 2014.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KW and Mario are still recovering from ACL tears. I don't figure them to be able to come back the way some people assume. AP coming back is a flat out freak of nature. The chances that one or both of our WRs come back the same as AP did is less then a sure thing. This is Jenkins' chance to win his spot on this team. If he can't do it now with a full offseason working with Kaep and his main competitors on the mend, then IMO it ain't happening.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jenkins has the deep speed we desperately need. I think he and Lockette both have a chance to play a fairly significant role in the offense this season if they can put things together.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't throw the towel in on Jenkins yet. He could be a completely different player this year now that he's bulked up a little.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't throw the towel in on Jenkins yet. He could be a completely different player this year now that he's bulked up a little.

I'm certainly not throwing in the towel yet, but with all of these supposed off-season improvements to his game, his work ethic, etc., I am expecting a player that IS talented to earn his rightful spot on this team.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His main problems were that he was scrawny and didn't have his head around the playbook. He's got a real good chance to do something though with Manningham and Williams coming back from injuries, and both those weaknesses should be corrected.

Now if he doesn't hit the ground running, he'll have a tough time when Manningham and Williams are at full strength. This will be fun to keep an eye on, and should be a battle throughout the year for playing time behind Crabs and Boldin.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Baalke's MO seems to be to draft on the raw side and try to get value by developing them into contributing starters.

So it's far too early to throw the bust word at him yet especially given reports he's improved himself.

I will say though he's really got to show something as at this point there is no excuse for him not to be on the field and be productive.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke's MO seems to be to draft on the raw side and try to get value by developing them into contributing starters.

So it's far too early to throw the bust word at him yet especially given reports he's improved himself.

I will say though he's really got to show something as at this point there is no excuse for him not to be on the field and be productive.

no doubt he should show SOMETHING? not necessarily 'gang buster' stats, but enough 'highlights' exhibiting his potential.

if he only gets 2 reps a game, at least show in those 2 reps the ability to get open deep, or open quickly? or show the ability to make a good play for the ball, tracking and timing your juimp?

think fans can tell if there is something brewing, even without stats?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no doubt he should show SOMETHING? not necessarily 'gang buster' stats, but enough 'highlights' exhibiting his potential.

if he only gets 2 reps a game, at least show in those 2 reps the ability to get open deep, or open quickly? or show the ability to make a good play for the ball, tracking and timing your juimp?

think fans can tell if there is something brewing, even without stats?

This is what I'm saying. People know jack squat about A.J Jenkins, other than he dropped the only ball he was targeted on.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is what I'm saying. People know jack squat about A.J Jenkins, other than he dropped the only ball he was targeted on.

I can't agree with that. They know that he wasn't getting on the field despite a clear need at the WR position. They know that, late in the season, Chad Hall was getting reps ahead of him the same week he was placed on the active roster. That's not nothing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

sorry, what i meant was.....during this upcoming season, fans will know if something is brewing in Jenkins? he won't need 'big' stats for fans to see his potential arising.

didn't intend it for anythning brewing to date.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't agree with that. They know that he wasn't getting on the field despite a clear need at the WR position. They know that, late in the season, Chad Hall was getting reps ahead of him the same week he was placed on the active roster. That's not nothing.

There's a vicious cycle here that I'm not going to win until the season begins. But, if you want to believe Chad Hall was better than AJ last year and AJ miraculously transformed himself in three months since the SB, then go ahead.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
slide_297900_2458885_free.gif

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's a vicious cycle here that I'm not going to win until the season begins. But, if you want to believe Chad Hall was better than AJ last year and AJ miraculously transformed himself in three months since the SB, then go ahead.

He didn't say Hall was better, he said Hall was getting game reps over Jenkins.

If you want to believe that is untrue, I don't know what to tell you.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Transformed himself into what? None of us know what AJ looks like right now. Every offseason there are stories about guys who worked hard, everything clicked, and they're ready to take that next step. And every offseason, lots of those guys don't take it any further. Hell, there have been virtually identical stories about Lockette himself.

I haven't declared Jenkins a bust. Far from it. I think he's got physical tools that we could really use. But he hasn't shown anyone much of anything to date. Until he shows it on the field - ideally in the regular season, I'll view these stories with some skepticism.