• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

List your top 10 CFB coaching jobs TODAY

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the hot topic of the week is coaching jobs in 2 of the premier programs in the country, what schools do you believe have the top 10 jobs in the country?

Mine

#1 Texas

#2 Alabama

#3 Southern Cal

#4 Notre Dame

# 5 and # 6 Ohio State and Michigan

#7 Florida

#8 Oregon

#9 LSU

#10 Oklahoma

Honarable Mention: Georgia, Oky State, Florida State, UCLA, Wisconsin, Nebraska

Great list, but why would anyone want to live in Norman? ;)

I would replace Oregon with Stanford.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford is the 4th best coaching job in Cali.

UCLA, SC, Cal all better jobs.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to think about where the job is. As in, you could not pay me enough money to live in Stillwater, OK.

I think Stanford needs to be on this list. And if I were the coach there I'd be taking a chunk of my comp every year and investing it in some student's startup (which I would have an inside track to do). Cha-ching. Would make coaching salary money look like what they pay the players.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK question on the appeal of coaching Texas. Yes I know it's a phenom of a program, but I was watching some rag tag cfb show on espin yesterday and the subject of what it would take for Saban to leave BAMA came up. One guy believes 'only' the Texas HC job. Then they all praised the position as the greatest job in all of football pro or otherwise.

Why? I know theres money, recruiting and rich tradition. But the best coaching job in all of the football universe? Is there justification for that? Because I see tradition, money and good recruiting at more than just Texas.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin also seems like a cool place to live, which can't be said of many other "traditional power" college towns.

Who wants to live in Stillwater, Norman, South Bend, Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, etc?

Austin, Palo Alto, Madison, Ann Arbor, Athens and not many others are much better places to be.

USC/UCLA... depends on what you think of Los Angeles, and the cost of living is high (not that it isn't in Palo Alto, but I prefer the Bay Area to LA).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the pleasure of being in Austin for 1mos in my life. I'm not a fan of hot weather, if I were Austin would be the place for me. Loved that city.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm interested to see how many people have OU in the top 10 (or even top 5) but leave Nebraska out or in the "honorable mention" category. as far as tradition and following we match up pretty well with those guys. the knock on the NU job would be very high expectations, but i can't imagine they are any higher than expectations in Norman.
-
I had Nebraska out of the list. I get your pt, but I think OU is better set up for recruiting. In 2013 (recruiting class) the state of Nebraska produced 5 FBS scholarship players. That means Nebraska has to go on the road and compete for players. The surrounding areas are not particularly good either (Iowa: 8, Kansas 9, MO: 35, Co: 23, WY and SD 1 a piece). Compare that to OU. Not a fertile ground for recruits, they ranked 19th (35) and they are close to Texas, which was #1 (346). I think that would explain why OU is in most top 10s and Nebraska is out.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the pleasure of being in Austin for 1mos in my life. I'm not a fan of hot weather, if I were Austin would be the place for me. Loved that city.
Yeah the heat would bug me too actually. I was about to say that you could just leave for 3 months in the summer, but then they've got camp in August.

It would be a big improvement from November to March though...

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tallahasse is a pretty good town actually. Only a 30-45 minute drive to the Gulf, lots of things to do and not too far from other FL attractions. Biggest downside is the oppressive humidity. The other towns listed are not that great mostly due to weather. I guess it comes down to what a coach is looking for in a coaching position. I doubt that many look at where the town itself is. If so then why would coaches pick South Bend(Grew up an hour from there and lived there for 3 years), Tuscaloosa( I think that part of Bama is pretty), and so on. I think the location of the school has little to do with what coaches look at.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In South Bend, you'd just have to convince yourself that 90 minutes isn't such a long drive to Chicago. But yeah, South Bend itself is a backwater.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In South Bend, you'd just have to convince yourself that 90 minutes isn't such a long drive to Chicago. But yeah, South Bend itself is a backwater.

How fast do you drive man? More like 2- 2.5 hrs depending on traffic and that is to downtown going across the less traveled Skyway bridge.

South Bend itself is a shithole. The city has been pumping money into neighborhood rejuvenation projects with no success. Mishawaka is ok I guess it has the mall and restaurants, but besides that there is jack shit in that town.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the point that is lost on a lot of these Sooner fans.

You have to live in Norman, OK if you want the job.

Norman is not nearly as bad as some college towns.

It is a lot better than College Station, but its simply not a destination you would ever visit unless you were attending a Sooner game.

This was not a ranking of program strength and national title hopes only....

It combines many factors.

Small flyspeck college towns in humid little southern towns or frozen dusty plains wastelands, lose out in this regard.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How fast do you drive man? More like 2- 2.5 hrs depending on traffic and that is to downtown going across the less traveled Skyway bridge.
I only ever take the Skyway and it's rarely that much more than 90 minutes, but maybe up to 2 hours. Don't go during rush hour into the city obviously.

Indiana is really one of the worst states in the country, though. At least Wisconsin and Michigan have some nice scenery upstate or along the lake (even most of Indiana's shoreline is industrial wasteland).

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC
Texas
Ohio St.
Alabama
Michigan
Florida
LSU
Florida St.
Oklahoma
Nebraska

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the hot topic of the week is coaching jobs in 2 of the premier programs in the country, what schools do you believe have the top 10 jobs in the country?

Mine

#1 Texas

#2 Alabama

#3 Southern Cal

#4 Notre Dame

# 5 and # 6 Ohio State and Michigan

#7 Florida

#8 Oregon

#9 LSU

#10 Oklahoma

Honarable Mention: Georgia, Oky State, Florida State, UCLA, Wisconsin, Nebraska

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Notre Dame
4. Alabama
5. Florida State
6. LSU
7. Ohio State
8. Oregon
9. Stanford
10. Florida

Honorable Mention: Michigan, Oklahoma, UCLA

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say any different. It's definitely a top-10 job. Even without the same branding though....it is easier to recruit to UGA than OK, IMO. Too much elite talent close by.

if that is true, then why doesn't UGA do something with all that talent it allegedly gets????

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as for the Pros, Denver has to be up there as one of the best. Pat Bowlen is one of the best owners in the league. He keeps his hands out of the cookie jar and lets the people run the team he pays to do so. Plus a geat winning tradition and fans.

Hard to beat that...