• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions would've got bashed for whoever they chose.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you keep hearing this because teams rarely ever draft a TE in the 1st 20 picks, let alone a top 10 pick. Couple that with the fact the Lions signed Pettigrew to a contract prior to the year, as well as having a guy like Fauria, who had 7 touchdowns last year, as a rookie. The pick does make you scratch your head.

Do you really expect Fauria to duplicate that every year? Is his bar set. He is a red zone threat and nothing else.

303 snaps 18 rec. 208 yds 7 TD 1+ 20 yd rec. What did this kid contribute outside the 20? Love the fact he was a UDFA and the Lions never have late rd.to UDFA contribute. He is not the player to beat nickel coverage from our own 20.

Please tell me you don't think Fauria and Ebron are the same? You argue Ebron is no Gronk, Jimmy, Vernon. Please don't use that flashing glamour stat of 7 TD as if Fauria suddenly brings a weapon to the entire field as Ebron will. :L

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he has at least 50 catches with 8 tds.

I'm good with that. Especially since I hope he is dangerous after the catch which would translate in big yardage.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just seeing a lot of posters expecting a ton already from him. It's just gonna continue to be looked at as disappointment in their eye when he fails to meet these lofty expectations in his rookie campaign.

It is because it suits their arguement to prove them right in first year. Yet, same guy would say Lewan is rookie he is going to have some lumps and give up sacks. Donald is rookie he needs to adjust to the game. Excuses when it is (your guy) and fault when it's someone elses.

Micro you would be the bad guy if you expected some defensive pick to lead in certain stats. After all he is a top 10 pick and should right?

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
42 rec. 546 yds. 10TD

Not all world, but damn good for a rookie.

So if Ebron will hopefully develop into our Gronk which of our other TE's will develop into Hernandez? Who is most likely to be a murderer?

I think its Fauria because Pettigrew would drop the gun right before firing it. More than likely it will discharge when it hits the ground and he shoot him in the balls. :laugh3:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with that. Especially since I hope he is dangerous after the catch which would translate in big yardage.

One thing to like about Ebron is his ability to run after the catch. He's not a catch and drop to the ground type player.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is because it suits their arguement to prove them right in first year. Yet, same guy would say Lewan is rookie he is going to have some lumps and give up sacks. Donald is rookie he needs to adjust to the game. Excuses when it is (your guy) and fault when it's someone elses.

Micro you would be the bad guy if you expected some defensive pick to lead in certain stats. After all he is a top 10 pick and should right?

Dude, you know exactly how fans are. That shit ia hilarious to me. In fact, before the draft, one poster on here said Ebron is a beast......but now, he sucks somehow.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin didn't even have 50 grabs his rookie year. And just 4 TDs.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After trading Richardson, Cleveland really had no one to hand the ball to last year. They were hoping McGahee still had something in the tank, but he didn't. So it was more of a necessity thing. And Norv Turner is not shy about throwing the ball anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kidding right? Bears were going with a DB either way. Settle down

Here in the chicago tribune, they were saying all the way up to the draft that if donald was there, hed be the pick....i think the bears were going to take donald if he was there....

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to like about Ebron is his ability to run after the catch. He's not a catch and drop to the ground type player.

Opened yourself up for insult here. He's not a catch guy...

Now Trustme can't use one of these:laugh3:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trustme sure does complain alot....i complain alot when it comes to the lions BUT DAAAAAM...

Just for the record trustme.....who would you had drafted.....ONE guy.....just so we know for down the road....i always hear you saying how the lions could of had torey smith or lavonte david.....but i dont recall you saying draft them....so ONE player.....we will see if he does better than ebron over time.

I dont think there were many elite guys left for defense....the safeties would of been drafted too high, plus we have starters for next yr....donald? We got suh and fairley.....im sure when we need a DT next year....in the draft there will be a DT that everyone is saying is a beast or the next best thing....the defense should get the majority of the high picks next yeat.....

People act like we never draft defense in the 1st...only WR's.......ziggy, suh, fairley...

But i dont mind the pick....good TE's can put good offenses over the top. Ebron is like drafting the 3rd WR we needed but he will cause mis-matches lining up all over....he can play when were in 2WR sets....unlike a WR.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok i think the most important thing to realize is he is only a TE when it comes to contract negotiations which is nice cause then he is cheaper. meanwhile he will be lining up in the slot 70+% of the time and will be treated as a big WR with above average blocking ability for the position by the rest of the league.

Rookie contracts are on a slotted pay scale now they get paid what ever there slot dictates regardless of position. Ebron will get about 12.25 million over 4 tears with a team option for a fifth year because he was a first round pick.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you're right but I dont see where the roles would have been similar. Evans never lined up in the slot in college. Not sure why everyone keeps saying they want Ebron to be Graham :L

Good point. Evans was an outside guy his college career but it would have let the Lions move Tate inside if Evans could not handle the slot.

I think this trend, the bigger slot/H-Back split out will make the Beckham type of receivers less attractive.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy how contratictive and hypocritical these media heads and fans can be. Its not about liking the player that's drafted (Ebron in this case), its more about the how they always claim its the wrong pick or say someone else would be better. Dave Birkett of Freep.com claims it was a dumb pick and asks readers to explain the Ebron pick. Mel Kiper suggests they should've taken Beckham at 10.

Bet these same guys would've bashed the players they thought should've been picked...if they were picked.

Here's how it works: If the Lions take Beckham at 10, Mayhew gets bashed because he takes the 3rd best WR and it is made to look as if he panicked and took a WR over Donald or some other defensive player. If they take Donald, Mayhew gets ripped for taking another 3-technique DT and his chance he took on Nick Fairley becomes a story.

I wonder what would've took place if the Lions passed on Ebron?

Nobody would have said crap about a TE being passed on @ #10. End of story. Fans all have their personal choice or favorite player. So yes anybody would have gotten bashed. With that being said taking a guy that high in the first round to help with pass catching (and he probably will ..at least until opposing defenses figure out he can't catch that is) when their biggest issue is the secondary well that's just smarts. Most of the folks on here that pressed for a WR think that the offense is almost there . UM.....no that's not the case in a pass first offense we have a QB that consistently overthrows guys and when the ball miraculously is delivered in a catchable place the receivers drop the ball. So the answer is of course draft a guy that happens to have a tendency to drop the ball. YAY for us.

I wouldn't have done cartwheels over the choice of Donald.... but I would've at least understood the selection considering that it looks like a put up or shut up year for Fairley and the future of Suh is up in the air as well. One of the corners or possibly Dix @ 10 .... that at least would have addressed the Lions biggest need. ......but those guys would've been a reach. No. Most will point to the fact that these guys fell into the twenties hmm ... so what. Right up till the draft they were slotted to go in the mid teens for the most part and a handful of a picks doesn't equate a reach.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions felt that Ebron was the best player on the board then he was the right pick. It's just collosally stupid to reach for players to fill a need in the draft. You pick the guy who you think will help the team the most. Next year we may be in a spot to get the true cover corner but if we took another corner in the first round this year, next year we would pass on that guy and the team would be worse off for it. It just makes ZERO sense to pass on a better player to try to fill a hole. Not to FILL a hole, to TRY to fill a hole.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody would have said crap about a TE being passed on @ #10. End of story. Fans all have their personal choice or favorite player. So yes anybody would have gotten bashed. With that being said taking a guy that high in the first round to help with pass catching (and he probably will ..at least until opposing defenses figure out he can't catch that is) when their biggest issue is the secondary well that's just smarts. Most of the folks on here that pressed for a WR think that the offense is almost there . UM.....no that's not the case in a pass first offense we have a QB that consistently overthrows guys and when the ball miraculously is delivered in a catchable place the receivers drop the ball. So the answer is of course draft a guy that happens to have a tendency to drop the ball. YAY for us.

I wouldn't have done cartwheels over the choice of Donald.... but I would've at least understood the selection considering that it looks like a put up or shut up year for Fairley and the future of Suh is up in the air as well. One of the corners or possibly Dix @ 10 .... that at least would have addressed the Lions biggest need. ......but those guys would've been a reach. No. Most will point to the fact that these guys fell into the twenties hmm ... so what. Right up till the draft they were slotted to go in the mid teens for the most part and a handful of a picks doesn't equate a reach.

There was a very good possibility that Ebron wouldve been picked by the Giants and the word is that the Jets wanted to trade up for him. Im sure if the Lions passed on him, we wouldve seen his name pop up in someone's column, talking about the Lions were dumb for it. The drop thing is all you guys have to hold on to. Ebron will catch a lot more than he will drop. Megatron even dropped quite a few balls but nobody says a word about that.

I know Stafford overthrows at times but I think its over-blown a bit.

I just dont agree with the Lions settling for a player they dont even like the best just because they need the position. No way should they have picked Fuller or Dennard just because. The funny part about all this is three of my favorite players for the Lions got snatched up and I was only pissed for an hour.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions felt that Ebron was the best player on the board then he was the right pick. It's just collosally stupid to reach for players to fill a need in the draft. You pick the guy who you think will help the team the most. Next year we may be in a spot to get the true cover corner but if we took another corner in the first round this year, next year we would pass on that guy and the team would be worse off for it. It just makes ZERO sense to pass on a better player to try to fill a hole. Not to FILL a hole, to TRY to fill a hole.

You know, I get it. If fans dont care for the Ebron pick, so be it. But, to suggest they pass on him to take players they didnt even like is dumb. Mayhew said they weren't even interested in taking a safety, so Dix was never going to go at 10. Obviously, the Lions saw enough in Ried not to take Donald. Many teams passed on Dennard, so how is it impossible for the Lions to do so? Lions may have considered Lewan...for a second. Id argue Beckham is really similar to Tate and isnt quite the same player as Ebron.