• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions would've got bashed for whoever they chose.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Ebron have to immediately be Gronk or Graham?

The Lions have had an issue with drops the last couple years and so has Ebron if they were looking for a new offensive weapon he should have been sure handed not someone who more than likely adds to the problem.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions have had an issue with drops the last couple years and so has Ebron if they were looking for a new offensive weapon he should have been sure handed not someone who more than likely adds to the problem.

That is what I don't get. Lions lead the league in drops every year, Mayhew gets Tate who is as sure handed as they come. Great pick up. But then sign Pettidrops who we all know drops a ton of passes, then drafts another TE with a top ten pick no less, who has a high drop rate is beyond baffling. Vernon Davis was the last TE to get drafted in the top 10. He ran a 4.38. That is what is called A FREAK. Those guys are deserving of a top ten pick. A TE who runs 4.6 and drops a ton of passes? Come on.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Ebron have to immediately be Gronk or Graham?

I believe you keep hearing this because teams rarely ever draft a TE in the 1st 20 picks, let alone a top 10 pick. Couple that with the fact the Lions signed Pettigrew to a contract prior to the year, as well as having a guy like Fauria, who had 7 touchdowns last year, as a rookie. The pick does make you scratch your head.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions picked Lewan, would it be fair for the fans to be asking him to be Joe Thomas right out the gate? Thats what I mean when I posted this. Why does Ebron have to immediately be Gronk or Graham?

OL are drafted yearly in the top 10 of the NFL draft. Many times, there are multiple OL drafted in the top 10 picks. TE is not viewed as a position with the value to spend a top 10 draft pick on, unless it is supposed to be a special player. I'm guessing that is why you keep hearing about the Gronk and Graham comments.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok i think the most important thing to realize is he is only a TE when it comes to contract negotiations which is nice cause then he is cheaper. meanwhile he will be lining up in the slot 70+% of the time and will be treated as a big WR with above average blocking ability for the position by the rest of the league.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max,

If the Lions picked Lewan, would it be fair for the fans to be asking him to be Joe Thomas right out the gate? Thats what I mean when I posted this. Why does Ebron have to immediately be Gronk or Graham?

Oh, I don't think he has to be Shannon Sharpe year 1. He has to be Shannon Sharpe by year 3, though, to make this pick worthwhile.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why you're already writing him off. I understand your uneasiness, given he was a top 10 pick, but c'mon bro, at least give him a chance. You're already asking a lot of him and he hasn't even stepped on the field to try and live up to it.

Shannon Sharpe had 29 receptions his first two years. I don't see that for Ebron, but let's remember it too him awhile to develop into the player he became. Jimmy Graham also only had 33 receptions his first year.

What I'm saying is, let him get acclimated to the NFL game first before completely judging him.

Sure. So far this is all speculation based on scouting and college production.

Believe me, I love the Lions and I'd like nothing better than for Ebron to be a future Hall of Famer. I'd like all the picks to be future Hall of Famers. I'll give you that Ebron's ceiling is at that potential level, but I think the floor is flat-out bust and I'd rather the team had taken a different direction.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I don't get. Lions lead the league in drops every year, Mayhew gets Tate who is as sure handed as they come. Great pick up. But then sign Pettidrops who we all know drops a ton of passes, then drafts another TE with a top ten pick no less, who has a high drop rate is beyond baffling. Vernon Davis was the last TE to get drafted in the top 10. He ran a 4.38. That is what is called A FREAK. Those guys are deserving of a top ten pick. A TE who runs 4.6 and drops a ton of passes? Come on.

You guys will soon eat your words.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you keep hearing this because teams rarely ever draft a TE in the 1st 20 picks, let alone a top 10 pick. Couple that with the fact the Lions signed Pettigrew to a contract prior to the year, as well as having a guy like Fauria, who had 7 touchdowns last year, as a rookie. The pick does make you scratch your head.

You guys crack me up. TEs of this caliber are "rare" to begin with, plus there are 32 teams in the league, so most of them dont have the opportunity to get one. And if the Lions dont draft him, the Giants or someone real close would've.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max,

Because he was a top 10 pick and if memory serves Gronk was a rookie stud. I am in the group of fans who will have high expectations on his production

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL are drafted yearly in the top 10 of the NFL draft. Many times, there are multiple OL drafted in the top 10 picks. TE is not viewed as a position with the value to spend a top 10 draft pick on, unless it is supposed to be a special player. I'm guessing that is why you keep hearing about the Gronk and Graham comments.

So, tell me how any of the other players that could've been picked are special? This is not all about Ebron being elite or special, its about how he fits the scheme and his ability. Even though I wouldnt have liked any of the other choices at 10, I wouldnt be saying tons of negative things about them.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More than likely? How do we know this? I bet the Lions always thought that Barry Sanders would score 39 tds and return kicks for them because he did in college.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he was a top 10 pick and if memory serves Gronk was a rookie stud. I am in the group of fans who will have high expectations on his production

We all will expect a lot but I dont think he should be expected to have a million yards and 40 tds.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming some of the things being said about Ebron and his ties to the Lions, he might have been the pick over those two. If you think about it, Evans is definitely a threat as a WR but Ebron gives them more versatility. If they really felt like they could get Van Noy in the second, they wouldve passed on Barr.

I have to disagree on the Evans vs Ebron comparison. From what I have read and heard they would have played the same role for Detroit. Evans is 6'5'' and 230lbs. Very similar size to Ebron and he has outmatched Ebron's production. The Lions do not plan on Ebron being a blocker or H-Back from the quotes. They hope he is Graham 2.0. Both Evans or Ebron will line up in the slot and overmatch the nickel or dime backs they try to matchup with them.

It is moot as Evans went before the Lions had to choose but I would still have like to have seen what Mayhew would have done. Now, today he will say he got his guy but I would hope he would have taken Evans if the option existed.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree on the Evans vs Ebron comparison. From what I have read and heard they would have played the same role for Detroit. Evans is 6'5'' and 230lbs. Very similar size to Ebron and he has outmatched Ebron's production. The Lions do not plan on Ebron being a blocker or H-Back from the quotes. They hope he is Graham 2.0. Both Evans or Ebron will line up in the slot and overmatch the nickel or dime backs they try to matchup with them.

It is moot as Evans went before the Lions had to choose but I would still have like to have seen what Mayhew would have done. Now, today he will say he got his guy but I would hope he would have taken Evans if the option existed.

Maybe you're right but I dont see where the roles would have been similar. Evans never lined up in the slot in college. Not sure why everyone keeps saying they want Ebron to be Graham :L

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all will expect a lot but I dont think he should be expected to have a million yards and 40 tds.

My expectations arent that high but there was some talk earlier in the thread about players who had like 30 catches in their rookie seasons. I would consider that a monumental flop. We are a passing team, pretty sure we were easily #1 last year in attempts.

The talking heads, as well as one of the points you have stressed is the match up nightmares he should create. That should mean that he is open. If we pass a lot and he is open a lot I have expectations that he will produce.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

42 rec. 546 yds. 10TD

Not all world, but damn good for a rookie.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expectations arent that high but there was some talk earlier in the thread about players who had like 30 catches in their rookie seasons. I would consider that a monumental flop. We are a passing team, pretty sure we were easily #1 last year in attempts.

The talking heads, as well as one of the points you have stressed is the match up nightmares he should create. That should mean that he is open. If we pass a lot and he is open a lot I have expectations that he will produce.

I'd say he has at least 50 catches with 8 tds.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was the one that was discussing the catches in rookie seasons for some of the best TEs to play the game. The league has changed and has become more pass oriented, so yes, I expect Ebron's catch total to be higher than 30. But my main point is we should temper expectations. The NFL game isn't easy to transition to and comes with a learning curve. Even the best have all struggled somewhat to get acclimated.

I'm just seeing a lot of posters expecting a ton already from him. It's just gonna continue to be looked at as disappointment in their eye when he fails to meet these lofty expectations in his rookie campaign.