• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions would've got bashed for whoever they chose.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy how contratictive and hypocritical these media heads and fans can be. Its not about liking the player that's drafted (Ebron in this case), its more about the how they always claim its the wrong pick or say someone else would be better. Dave Birkett of Freep.com claims it was a dumb pick and asks readers to explain the Ebron pick. Mel Kiper suggests they should've taken Beckham at 10.

Bet these same guys would've bashed the players they thought should've been picked...if they were picked.

Here's how it works: If the Lions take Beckham at 10, Mayhew gets bashed because he takes the 3rd best WR and it is made to look as if he panicked and took a WR over Donald or some other defensive player. If they take Donald, Mayhew gets ripped for taking another 3-technique DT and his chance he took on Nick Fairley becomes a story.

I wonder what would've took place if the Lions passed on Ebron?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Calvin Pryor would have been a great pick for the Lions.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be a back-up.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fug would they take Beckham? If they're going to draft a third receiver..... wait.... nevermind.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big reach for Pryor. I'm just glad Donald got snatched up and fucked up the Bear's draft. They were forced to reach for back-to-back DTs after they missed their guy in the 1st round.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big reach for Pryor. I'm just glad Donald got snatched up and fucked up the Bear's draft. They were forced to reach for back-to-back DTs after they missed their guy in the 1st round.

You're kidding right? Bears were going with a DB either way. Settle down

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, but not as bad as they'll get bashed by me for adding two more TEs with their brutal secondary and with better talent on the board at 'luxury' positions. If he ends up being Shannon Sharpe then it's a great pick, but nothing so far makes him look any better than Teiler Eiflert or Coby Fleener.

reach for a CB, I can understand. Take one of the safeties, I can understand. Take the DT because you're giving up on Fairley, smart. Take the OT with greater value than the TE, yes. Take the luxury TE, he'd better be special.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys and your Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez, Vernon Davis and Shannon Sharpe stuff are cracking me up.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kidding right? Bears were going with a DB either way. Settle down

Whatever you guys are telling yourselves... everyone and their brother knew that Donald was the Bear's top target. You guys missed your guy, it happens, no big deal.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, but not as bad as they'll get bashed by me for adding two more TEs with their brutal secondary and with better talent on the board at 'luxury' positions. If he ends up being Shannon Sharpe then it's a great pick, but nothing so far makes him look any better than Teiler Eiflert or Coby Fleener.

reach for a CB, I can understand. Take one of the safeties, I can understand. Take the DT because you're giving up on Fairley, smart. Take the OT with greater value than the TE, yes. Take the luxury TE, he'd better be special.

I don't understand why you're already writing him off. I understand your uneasiness, given he was a top 10 pick, but c'mon bro, at least give him a chance. You're already asking a lot of him and he hasn't even stepped on the field to try and live up to it.

Shannon Sharpe had 29 receptions his first two years. I don't see that for Ebron, but let's remember it too him awhile to develop into the player he became. Jimmy Graham also only had 33 receptions his first year.

What I'm saying is, let him get acclimated to the NFL game first before completely judging him.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the worst case scenario for the Lions and it played out that way.

I think Evans or Barr were the two they thought would be their at 10. 1 QB selected fucked that up! If they go D Back they really reach. If they go Lewan they take a position they have filled with a guy that has some question marks.

I have problems with some pater picks and do not like a TE at 10 but I would not have been happy with anyone left on the board.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of last season I thought the best thing the Lions could do to improve the team was turn over the coaching staff. I didn't think the problem was the talent available as much as the leadership on the sidelines. If I'm right and the biggest issues holding the Lions back was the coaching staff, and if Mayhew made the correct moves in upgrading the staff, then this should have been the last time we draft below the 20th slot for a while. Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the first pick of the draft the Lions made this year, not sure if anyone at ten was the one and only 'right' pick, but I'm hoping that next year we're picking more towards the end of the first round and not at the beginning.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im actually surprised at you Max.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is not going to be any of those guys. Might become top TE year 2 or 3 like the others did. Don't really think anyone is saying he will be those guys. Jimmy and Gronk were truly #1's on their teams. He will never be the #1 option here. So if judging him on getting Grahm or Gronk numbers he will always be a bust in your eyes. Ebron takes advantage of mismatches and makes teams pay for rolling coverage to CJ and in turn help the team win. Than he was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Evans or Barr were the two they thought would be their at 10. 1 QB selected fucked that up! If they go D Back they really reach. If they go Lewan they take a position they have filled with a guy that has some question marks.

I have problems with some pater picks and do not like a TE at 10 but I would not have been happy with anyone left on the board.

Assuming some of the things being said about Ebron and his ties to the Lions, he might have been the pick over those two. If you think about it, Evans is definitely a threat as a WR but Ebron gives them more versatility. If they really felt like they could get Van Noy in the second, they wouldve passed on Barr.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of last season I thought the best thing the Lions could do to improve the team was turn over the coaching staff. I didn't think the problem was the talent available as much as the leadership on the sidelines. If I'm right and the biggest issues holding the Lions back was the coaching staff, and if Mayhew made the correct moves in upgrading the staff, then this should have been the last time we draft below the 20th slot for a while. Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the first pick of the draft the Lions made this year, not sure if anyone at ten was the one and only 'right' pick, but I'm hoping that next year we're picking more towards the end of the first round and not at the beginning.

Uncertainty is something I can definitely understand.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max,

If the Lions picked Lewan, would it be fair for the fans to be asking him to be Joe Thomas right out the gate? Thats what I mean when I posted this. Why does Ebron have to immediately be Gronk or Graham?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not going to be any of those guys. Might become top TE year 2 or 3 like the others did. Don't really think anyone is saying he will be those guys. Jimmy and Gronk were truly #1's on their teams. He will never be the #1 option here. So if judging him on getting Grahm or Gronk numbers he will always be a bust in your eyes. Ebron takes advantage of mismatches and makes teams pay for rolling coverage to CJ and in turn help the team win. Than he was worth it.

Lions didnt just draft a TE. The thought process behind something like this is being able to add a talent like this to CJ and the gang. We have been dying to see what CJ could do if he had this type of help.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

I wanted nothing to do with Lewan, I don't think he is any better then Reiff and believe he is a headcase that has been covered up.

I felt that Denard got away with things at the college level that NFL refs would not have allowed. So IMO he has reached his ceiling already.

Clinton-Dix while I would love to have him playing here, I felt he was a trade down player.

Finally Gilbert. I would have liked this pick just to hear Velanci(sp) have a seizure on he radio.

I do not like taking a TE where the Lions did, but for the second year in a row the players I wanted went before the Lions pick.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions didnt just draft a TE. The thought process behind something like this is being able to add a talent like this to CJ and the gang. We have been dying to see what CJ could do if he had this type of help.

I hated his pick also, I was one of the guys screaming for help due to the Durham and Mike Thomas :suds: type guys. So now I realize I can't hate the pick when he is what I was screaming for another receiving threat.