• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions keeping Caldwell as HC

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Now trim dead wood, start locking up stars early, add some talent to what the Lions finished the year with, and I could see playoffs next year. Provided Jim Bob I and Austin are retained.

When was the last time the Lions had a better 2nd half season than 1st half?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think this move will push Calvin Johnson to come back on a new team friendly deal. A solid draft and free agency and the Lions can very easily win the division next year. Its not like Green Bay and Minnesota are really lightyears ahead of the Lions.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am indifferent to this. The players like him which helps with any transition, but I hate how he always talks about accountability, but looks the other way as soon as things get difficult.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think this move will push Calvin Johnson to come back on a new team friendly deal. A solid draft and free agency and the Lions can very easily win the division next year. Its not like Green Bay and Minnesota are really lightyears ahead of the Lions.

That may be the primary reason why Caldwell was retained and why CJ said he is considering retirement. I would be happy with 2 more years from CJ. He has to want to play though.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not entirely against his retention. After the KC game I wanted him gone, and was still for his firing. However I was loathe to blow up the staff entirely. The defense was playing well with little talent, and my God has the light finally turned on for Stafford? The other thing is give a guy 3 damned years. He had some great calls on 4th down punt fakes. He had a bad call on the hail mary. I really think that was Austin's call.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The #Lions announce that Jim Caldwell is staying as head coach. Officially now just one opening left.

- Ian Rappaport
A good decision by Detroit.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not entirely against his retention. After the KC game I wanted him gone, and was still for his firing. However I was loathe to blow up the staff entirely. The defense was playing well with little talent, and my God has the light finally turned on for Stafford? The other thing is give a guy 3 damned years. He had some great calls on 4th down punt fakes. He had a bad call on the hail mary. I really think that was Austin's call.

Austin declined to answer what exactly led to the decision, instead pointing to Caldwell's previous responses.

"I believe coach answered that he's in charge of everything that goes on around here, so that's how that was answered," Austin said. "And I have nothing more to add to that."

Either that means Caldwell called the play or approved it. What do you think QJ?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell took the blame.

That's what men who are in charge should do.

Reactions: BUD

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will have to make the playoffs to save his job next year. Cant see him having much leeway.

That's what ticks me off... If Caldwell is going to be on the HOT SEAT next season why DICK around with the BullChit of waiting another year for some new HC's PHILOSOPHY and SCHEMES? I can understand it wasn't Caldwell fault an Ex-Lions Player went to Miami or Key Players getting injured (maybe a little of the depth chart) or MONSTER Contracts sucking up Cap Space because of the Front Office. The revolving door of mediocrity is way past old.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. We just can't seem to get away from the Jags.

This is nor really the same. This fit was a scout for 9 years worth the Patriots when Quinn wad in the front office. He was signed for his patriots ties not his 1 year with the jags. Hopefully he works out

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell took the blame.

That's what men who are in charge should do.

Unless you are a CEO.

Then you blame everyone else and fire half of them and make the other half work twice as hard. Also give yourself a big stock bonus based on some convoluted algorithm which happens to be the one and only method that makes the company look half way decent.

The following year when you still suck and BOE calls you on it, you agree to resign for a huge severance that is 10 times more than what you saved the company by firing half the people the year before.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Pat Caputo today, he says this is 100% the Fords telling BQ to retain Caldwell. Says this kind of thing has been going in in the Lions organization forever, citing Jerry Vainisi, the GM who built the 85 Bears, who soon after came to Detroit and lost a power play to Chuck Schmidt. Not sure what a reporter from CA knows about the Lions, but no reason not to believe him.

BQ never makes those comments about McD and Patricia being willing and ready to be HCs if he wasn't planning to hire one of them.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you are a CEO.

Then you blame everyone else and fire half of them and make the other half work twice as hard. Also give yourself a big stock bonus based on some convoluted algorithm which happens to be the one and only method that makes the company look half way decent.

The following year when you still suck and BOE calls you on it, you agree to resign for a huge severance that is 10 times more than what you saved the company by firing half the people the year before.
Big Orange Elephants?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Pat Caputo today, he says this is 100% the Fords telling BQ to retain Caldwell. Says this kind of thing has been going in in the Lions organization forever, citing Jerry Vainisi, the GM who built the 85 Bears, who soon after came to Detroit and lost a power play to Chuck Schmidt. Not sure what a reporter from CA knows about the Lions, but no reason not to believe him.

BQ never makes those comments about McD and Patricia being willing and ready to be HCs if he wasn't planning to hire one of them.
Pat Caputo can shut his trap and get back to covering the Warriors and whistle tips. Wid Bub Rub.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,868.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next season.......the seat isn't going to be hot but SIZZLING.....

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,868.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a matter of time before he gets canned imo......unless they go 10-6 and make the postseason.......and even then could he get fired?

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this mostly for Jim Bob Cooter sticking around on offense. He helped that offense do what it was supposed to do when Joe Lombardi couldn't. Matt Stafford had his best season since his first fully healthy season and wrecked house the second half of the season. If the defense can stay in the top half with Austin, then the playoffs would be in sight. As for Caldwell, he is on a short leash. Quinn has never met Caldwell before last week and I think a lot of the reason why he is being kept is for the playoff year, the second half turnaround, and he is a friend of the Ford family. He had more reason to keep him than fire him, in my opinion, but as long as this means his decent staff sticks around, then it's ok with me if the Lions win some games.