• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions get 3rd Rounder for Tate

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did BQ become this wheeler dealer machine??

Eagles acquired WR Golden Tate from the Eagles in exchange for a third-round pick

Now this is a big-time move. Although now 30, Tate remains one of the league's best after-the-catch receivers and is a perfect fit for what the Eagles want to do on offense. He also addresses a drastic need for the defending Super Bowl champions. The Eagles will no longer have to run Jordan Matthews out there for 30 snaps per game. It is interesting that each of Tate, Nelson Agholor and Matthews are best utilized in the slot, though Tate is capable of playing outside if need be. Tate's arrival is unequivocally bad news for Agholor, who has had a poor season since Carson Wentz's return. As for the Lions, T.J. Jones will now slide into three-receiver sets alongside Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay. #GolladaySZN is back on. Tate will be a free agent at season's end.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A third is not bad, especially when Thomas only got a 4th. I am not thrilled they traded him, but I get it. Kenny Golladay has passed him and Tate will be pricey after this year.

It is extra confusing that they trade for a DT like they think they are ready to compete, then follow that by trading away Tate. Kind of a mixed message.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Happy does this make Smitty?

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed feelings on this trade, we have a big hole in the slot now and with our lack of TE play a huge hole in the middle of the field. But...I'm kind of at the realization the season is over and Tate wasn't coming back anyway so we at least got something for him. Plus, how many teams have 3 upper tier WR's? Not many except for the Lions.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions know they can't/won't re-sign him, then this is a nice trade. Quinn did well to get a 3rd.

It's too bad we're not in better position to contend, because Jones/Tate/Golladay is a strong receiving core. But we're not (for several reasons), and if Tate is walking anyway, then what the heck.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do the Eagles need a 3rd slot receiver?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was inevitable. Good value for Tate. Hopefully the third turns into a player that can contribute.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has hell frozen over? The Lions front office has made two deals and I absolutely love both of them?

In essence, we traded a rental slot WR we weren’t re-signing and a 5th round pick for the best run stuffing DT (who is signed for 2 more years after this one) and a 3rd round pick.

Detroit wasn’t winning anything with the roster they had. So great moves by the front office to get a great piece on defense and getting max value for a player who was leaving at the end of the year.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A third is not bad, especially when Thomas only got a 4th. I am not thrilled they traded him, but I get it. Kenny Golladay has passed him and Tate will be pricey after this year.

It is extra confusing that they trade for a DT like they think they are ready to compete, then follow that by trading away Tate. Kind of a mixed message.

Tried to tell you guys this was a rebuilding year. You just did not want to hear it. I think the trade is very good. Tate was not staying. We almost traded him early in the season to the Pats too.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed feelings on this trade, we have a big hole in the slot now and with our lack of TE play a huge hole in the middle of the field. But...I'm kind of at the realization the season is over and Tate wasn't coming back anyway so we at least got something for him. Plus, how many teams have 3 upper tier WR's? Not many except for the Lions.

Powell and TJJ will split but eventually Powell is the guy. Even Tate knew Powell would be surpassing him in a year or 2. He admitted it in an interview. No guarantee he will be as good as Tate but he is in the same mold. Personally I think he is faster and shiftier but not as strong breaking tackles.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did BQ become this wheeler dealer machine??

Eagles acquired WR Golden Tate from the Eagles in exchange for a third-round pick

Now this is a big-time move. Although now 30, Tate remains one of the league's best after-the-catch receivers and is a perfect fit for what the Eagles want to do on offense. He also addresses a drastic need for the defending Super Bowl champions. The Eagles will no longer have to run Jordan Matthews out there for 30 snaps per game. It is interesting that each of Tate, Nelson Agholor and Matthews are best utilized in the slot, though Tate is capable of playing outside if need be. Tate's arrival is unequivocally bad news for Agholor, who has had a poor season since Carson Wentz's return. As for the Lions, T.J. Jones will now slide into three-receiver sets alongside Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay. #GolladaySZN is back on. Tate will be a free agent at season's end.

Glover Quin could be next. Might wait for the offseason though. We need to move Tabor there along with Diggs and Walker. I think he is like 8 mil a year too. He has definitely slowed down this year, but he is more than serviceable still.

Hopefully we cut ties with Ziggy or move him to 3-4 OLB for now and see if it works out to be worth his asking price next year. Not likely though. I hear the age 40 season is when OLBs tend to go down hill.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year is a rebuilding year in Detroit.

Except this time it was intentional. Most years they didnt even try. Just rolled out whatever trash we could pick up along with our shitty draft picks.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Tate's defense, he's not just a slot receiver. He's playing there now because we've asked him to, and he's good at it. But he's played much of his career, including his first few here, on the outside. I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly put him on the outside.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Tate's defense, he's not just a slot receiver. He's playing there now because we've asked him to, and he's good at it. But he's played much of his career, including his first few here, on the outside. I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly put him on the outside.

Very true, he's pretty versatile at both positions. But with Jeffrey I think you'll see him more of a slot guy. Just my opinion of course.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate has also played in domes on turf most of his career with Seattle and Detroit (and on the road vs. Rams and Vikings twice a year).

Wonder if that will affect him at all in Philly.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except this time it was intentional. Most years they didnt even try. Just rolled out whatever trash we could pick up along with our shitty draft picks.

You honestly think that Caldwell was fired after going 9-7, back to back seasons so they could INTENTIONALLY rebuild?

Fat Pat was supposed to get us over the hump, not start a rebuilding project.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You honestly think that Caldwell was fired after going 9-7, back to back seasons so they could INTENTIONALLY rebuild?

Fat Pat was supposed to get us over the hump, not start a rebuilding project.

Only in your mind. To most everyone else it was pretty apparent what they were doing then, while mediocre at least, was not going to get them anywhere. We were never a contender.

The first 9-7 (2016) was on 8 come from behind wins. They were outplayed in most all those games. The second (2017) was only because they won 3 of the last 4 against teams that were already out of the playoffs. 2014 was the only good season.

Caldwell was never a winner in the NFL on any level without Payton Manning. He was not going to be. That was obvious.