• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lion sign Chaz Shilens

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you just found the name for your boy that is due here pretty soon. How can you pass up on the name Chaz!!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol ya Chaz has to be one of the worst names on the planet. I'm surprised he hasn't changed it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say I called it, just that I hoped he did well enough to get signed.

He's still got an up-hill battle to make the roster, but he's very physically talented for sure. I'll dig up a link to his combine or pro day results when I get back.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll probably start in a game week 13 or 14 and catch a TD. Might be good as a late desperate FF playoff injury fill-in pick up at the flex position.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the same Chas?

school3.jpg

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is worth the gamble. Even if he does not regain his speed from the foot injury, it is not a big deal. He is a big body possession type anyway. I think he will make a good backup for this year and then maybe can be our number 2 outside guy next year. We could just throw to the WRs and RBs. I would not mind if Pettigrew became a blocking TE, LOL.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he didn't participate in the combine, but I found his pro day results:

Chaz Schilens | San Diego State, WR : 2008 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

The highlights are his 40 time, ranging from 4.36 to 4.38 and his whopping 43" vertical jump, which is particularly impressive when you consider that he's 6'4" 225 lbs. Like I said above, physically he's a poor mans Megatron. Nowhere near as polished, though, and can't seem to either be A.) healthy or B.) get a decent QB.

If he's healthy he could be a nice option on the outside opposite CJ.

I'd have to put him at the top of the mix for the final spot on the WR corps between he, Kris Durham and Mike Thomas. Unless Thomas has a really good camp it sounds like the coaches really like Steven Miller so far. In the return game he's of the same compact, quick style of Thomas, so if he wins the job then Thomas is likely to be a cut down day casualty, since he'd be behind Broyles, Burleson and Pat Edwards in the slot. Durham is in the mix because of his big frame and deep speed, so he and Schilens are my current favorites for the #6 roster spot, although I wouldn't be surprised if a healthy Schilens winds up being our other starting outside WR...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed Max, that's a great way to put it. There's a chance he could really help us, but if not, then no harm done in this case...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at worst he could be the backup to Megatron. If Edwards finally steps up, he and Broyles would be the other starters, with Nate and Chaz as the backups.

Durham needs to have a good camp or he will get cut unless Chaz just does not have it anymore. Thomas is a goner IMO. Unless he recaptures his form from 3 years ago, there is no need for him anymore based on the other players we drafted and brought in.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at worst he could be the backup to Megatron. If Edwards finally steps up, he and Broyles would be the other starters, with Nate and Chaz as the backups.

Durham needs to have a good camp or he will get cut unless Chaz just does not have it anymore. Thomas is a goner IMO. Unless he recaptures his form from 3 years ago, there is no need for him anymore based on the other players we drafted and brought in.

I agree with almost all of that, however I don't think Edwards and Broyles will both be starters as they're both slot receivers. I keep reading references to Edwards possibly starting across from Megatron, but I feel like those must be uninformed writers because Edwards is only 5'9", and you don't see too many outside WRs at that size.

Maybe I'm wrong, though, we'll see. I think Burleson has the edge on that other outside starting spot, but Schillens or Durham could also claim it. The beauty of Burleson is that he can play in the slot or outside (I suppose Edwards could give us that option, too), so we can really mix and match our formations...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant think of too many guys Edwards size that have done well outside. Steve Smith in Carolina probably the most notable. Who knows what type of formations they come up with that may make it less of an issue. With 2 or 3 guys on Megatron, 2 shorter guys running underneath routes might work fine.

I think eventually Corey Fuller eventually can become that guy. He not only has some size and speed to spare, he also has good hands. The question is how many years will it take. I just don't see guys like Durham and Thomas staying on this team after this year, if they even make it this year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Smith was the one guy I kept thinking of, too.

I agree with you that Fuller should be expected to grow into that role, he's got size and deep speed.

Also agree on the formations, if Nate and Edwards can both be effective on the outside then we'll be able to move our WRs all over the place...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz on Schillens:

“He’s got great size, he’s got good speed. He’s a physical player. He’s still a fairly young player, but he’s also got some experience in the NFL,” Schwartz said of Schilens. “He was the starting receiver with the Raiders when we played them a couple years ago and we beat them late in the season. He had a pretty productive year last year for the Jets. To be able to get a player on the eve of training camp that’s healthy, that has size and speed and has some production in the NFL, I think that’s been a great move for us.”

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he's got a better shot to make the team than I thought. If that's the case then we have 5 WRs who should be expected to make it: Megatron, Burleson, Broyles, Fuller and Schillens.

That leaves Edwards, Durham and Thomas battling for the final spot. Given that Schillens and Fuller are both big outside WRs like Durham, that really hurts his chances. Thomas gets bumped back up a spot given that we'll likely be looking for another slot guy, but I think Edwards is the guy who will get the nod.

Megatron and Schillens on the outside with Broyles, Burleson and Edwards in the slot and Fuller learning the ropes doesn't sound like a bad WR corps to me.

Principal57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas gets bumped back up a spot given that we'll likely be looking for another slot guy, but I think Edwards is the guy who will get the nod.

Megatron and Schillens on the outside with Broyles, Burleson and Edwards in the slot and Fuller learning the ropes doesn't sound like a bad WR corps to me.

I hope you are right.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron and Schillens on the outside with Broyles, Burleson and Edwards in
the slot and Fuller learning the ropes doesn't sound like a bad WR corps to
me.

That is what I was thinking. Not sure Schillens wins the starting outside job, but those are the guys I have making the team.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Mlive Durham got deep twice yesterday for a TD and Michael Spurlock was suprisingly effective underneath. Schillens reportedly caught a nice over the shoulder deep ball down the sideline as well...