• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Line Ideas

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell-Briere-Jagr
JvR-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Wellwood
Nodl-Talbot-Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Bartulis/

Bryz
Slob

Any other ideas?

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds
Sestito/Shelley-Betts-Nodl

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Lilja

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this, but we're really banking on career years from guys like JvR, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn in order to maintain the top three offense that we had last season. And if that doesn't all happen (aside from JvR and maybe one or both of Voracek/Schenn, it probably won't), we're going to be relying pretty heavily on our defense and goaltending, which means it will need to stay healthy.

I just can't sign off on the look of this team yet minus two first line talent centers who are probably just entering their primes. There are too many variables. I need to see them gel together out on the ice first in real game situations. We're probably going to be an average team for much of the beginning of the season, sadly. And if that doesn't change by midway through the season, then what?

That said, I like the line combinations in the second post, but we might as well wave goodbye to three scoring lines. We may be lucky to be a top ten scoring team next season, let alone top three.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Couturier-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Nodl

Thats my hope and guess. I think Couturier has a shot at making the club and if so, why not play him with other offensive threats as opposed to 4th line grinders?

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this, but we're really banking on career years from guys like JvR, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn in order to maintain the top three offense that we had last season. And if that doesn't all happen (aside from JvR and maybe one or both of Voracek/Schenn, it probably won't), we're going to be relying pretty heavily on our defense and goaltending, which means it will need to stay healthy.

I just can't sign off on the look of this team yet minus two first line talent centers who are probably just entering their primes. There are too many variables. I need to see them gel together out on the ice first in real game situations. We're probably going to be an average team for much of the beginning of the season, sadly. And if that doesn't change by midway through the season, then what?

That said, I like the line combinations in the second post, but we might as well wave goodbye to three scoring lines. We may be lucky to be a top ten scoring team next season, let alone top three.

Boston proved you don't need to be a top scoring team to win.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Exactly. Though we are probably keeping the same system, our teams philosophy is heading in an all new direction unknown to most of us.

Defense and good goalies get you far. A healthy pronger and a consistent Bryz will get us far. The scoring with guys like Briere, Giroux will take car of itself. We should not need to be a top scoring team anymore.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell-Briere-Jagr
JvR-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Wellwood
Nodl-Talbot-Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Bartulis/

Bryz
Slob

Any other ideas?

Hartnell-Briere-Jagr (love it)
JvR-Giroux-Voracek (love it)
Simmonds-Schenn-Wellwood/Read
Nodl-Betts-Talbot
Bench: Shelly, Holmstrom, Testwuide (some combination)

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Gustafsson/Lilja

Bryzgalov/Bob

I read that Couturier is going to given a shot to make the club. Apparently is a good 2 way player but needs to add muscle and strenght. Does not sound like a 4tf line player to me, so I don't jhave any idea where he could fit in.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Couturier-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Nodl

Thats my hope and guess. I think Couturier has a shot at making the club and if so, why not play him with other offensive threats as opposed to 4th line grinders?

actually schenn and simmonds are supposed to be 2-way players, as is couturier.. which still means they should play together, and 3rd line of 3 two-way players sounds awesome to me

althought that line is hell-a-young, they might want a vet (talbot) in there

I read that Couturier is going to given a shot to make the club. Apparently is a good 2 way player but needs to add muscle and strenght. Does not sound like a 4tf line player to me, so I don't jhave any idea where he could fit in.

i think if couturier makes the team he'll be on the 3rd line.. probably with schenn.. i dont think they'll put simmonds on the 4th line though.. so i think my comment to the above quote doesn't matter haha

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i actually kinda like have a well defined top 6.. cause aside from switching hartnell and simmonds i really don't think there's any argument about who the top 6 are.. thats where the goals need to come from and they know it

i gotta be honest i see the PP and the PK being better this year than last.. simmonds will be great in front of the net (just a hunch).. jagr plays similar on the PP to briere, floating around behind the net and being at the side of the net for tap ins.. mesz and pronger can shoot.. giroux and voracek can deal the puck.. jvr and hartnell can also do damage at the net..

and the PK.. hell.. schenn, couturier, simmonds, talbot, betts, nodl, and giroux can all do it.. what i like most about that list is giroux can be listed 7th, when they'll only use 4 for the most part... thats awesome rest for the big (hopefully) guns

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i do think the first three lines are set.

JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds

the only caveat might be that talbot might take center on the third line until lavy trusts schenn to handle the load.

i'm not sure the 4th line really matters as we have plenty of bodies who can perform this role.

phantom-Betts-phantom/Nodl

i could see a couturier leap frogging schenn. he has the size to anchor the third line. but he creates a real problem if they keep both of them on the big club.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ideally i would like to see talbot center the 4th line, i wouldnt mind seeing them ship betts off for a late draft pick or whatever was there to free up some space down the middle.

for some reason i thought briere's contract would be up after next year (2 full seasons) and now i see that it is 4 more seasons lol. i assumed that couturier would be nhl ready halfway through next season and then we would run giroux schenn couturier down the middle but that doesnt seem like it is going to happen any time soon.

i like briere as a center, and now with rich and carter gone he wont be forced to play second fiddle to carter on the wing. i expect a big yr from him, especially with the new addition to his line be voracek or jagr.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Simmonds and Schenn are on the same line the "Wayne Brady Line" name better catch on, fuck the 3rd guy.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell-Briere-Jagr
JvR-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Wellwood
Nodl-Talbot-Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Bartulis/

Bryz
Slob

Any other ideas?

Anybody like the idea of getting Z, replace him with Wellwood? I dont know how that line would do.

I still want Selanne real fucking bad, but like some pointed out he is at the point when he plays WHERE he wants.

Better Idea Plan:

1: Sign Kovalev
2: Apply testicles to Pittsburgh's face

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Madden? Meh, maybe. Id kill to have Lappy back, 2010 form. I have always like Modano, but I would want him just to have him.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You may be right, but Boston has a Vezina Trophy winner and we don't. Besides, I'm not entirely sure of what you're saying since the Bruins were top 8 in scoring last season and only 13 goals behind us. They sort of are a top scoring team and yet they don't allow a lot of goals either. Maybe this is why they won the Cup...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i actually kinda like have a well defined top 6.. cause aside from switching hartnell and simmonds i really don't think there's any argument about who the top 6 are.. thats where the goals need to come from and they know it

i gotta be honest i see the PP and the PK being better this year than last.. simmonds will be great in front of the net (just a hunch).. jagr plays similar on the PP to briere, floating around behind the net and being at the side of the net for tap ins.. mesz and pronger can shoot.. giroux and voracek can deal the puck.. jvr and hartnell can also do damage at the net..

and the PK.. hell.. schenn, couturier, simmonds, talbot, betts, nodl, and giroux can all do it.. what i like most about that list is giroux can be listed 7th, when they'll only use 4 for the most part... thats awesome rest for the big (hopefully) guns

I should hope that the power play and penalty kill will be better. We were 9th and 11th in just the conference in those categories, which is downright bad for a team that technically won the division. Special teams have to be better or we will be a team that struggles just to make the playoffs let alone win the division. Maybe the penalty kill improves significantly just by having a legitimate goaltender.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell-Briere-Jagr
JvR-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Wellwood
Nodl-Talbot-Shelley

Kunitz-Crosby-Sullivan
Neal-Malkin-Kennedy
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis
Asham-Letestu-Adams

What do these lines show? Guys, never take depth at the wing for granted. Am I the only one who think that just about any of those Penguin wingers would fight for the alleged "Wellwood Spot" on my lines?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Voracek and Jagr bounce back and forth between Brierre and Giroux....I like Wellwood in the NHL. I don't know that he is a regular 3rd liner but a legitimate 4th line player who also kills penalties and can be slid up and down the lineup when a spark is needed on any given line. Having Talbot makes the 3rd/4th line scenarios better.

It should be an interesting year....

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think it's a given that the Flyers' scoring takes a step back next year. Or at least that's what everyone should expect (maybe we'll be pleasantly suprised). I think what I noticed from last year was when the Flyers goaltending played well, they won, and when it started to sputter, they lost.

Say what you want about, stastically, what kind of an upgrade Bryzgalov is, but the Flyers pitched exactly ZERO shutouts last year. So maybe, over the long haul of the season, the GAA isn't dramatically different. But if the goaltending can flat out steal a few games here and there where the offense isn't on track, then I think the Flyers made out trading offense for goaltending. (Afterall, that's pretty much how the Flyers lost to the Bruins, in my opinion. The OT game where Thomas ripped the Flyers hearts out in game two, after Boucher got pulled, again, in game one.)

My biggest concern is the health of the defense. I think what the Flyers are really going to need is some young, minor league defensemen to step up, possibly for extended stretches.

With all that said, the makeup of the team is just so different from a year ago, it's tough to say where the Flyers will need help. That's what the trade deadline will be for (fingers crossed the Flyers are still a contender then).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a given that the Flyers' scoring takes a step back next year. Or at least that's what everyone should expect (maybe we'll be pleasantly suprised). I think what I noticed from last year was when the Flyers goaltending played well, they won, and when it started to sputter, they lost.Say what you want about, stastically, what kind of an upgrade Bryzgalov is, but the Flyers pitched exactly ZERO shutouts last year. So maybe, over the long haul of the season, the GAA isn't dramatically different. But if the goaltending can flat out steal a few games here and there where the offense isn't on track, then I think the Flyers made out trading offense for goaltending. (Afterall, that's pretty much how the Flyers lost to the Bruins, in my opinion. The OT game where Thomas ripped the Flyers hearts out in game two, after Boucher got pulled, again, in game one.)

My biggest concern is the health of the defense
. I think what the Flyers are really going to need is some young, minor league defensemen to step up, possibly for extended stretches.

With all that said, the makeup of the team is just so different from a year ago, it's tough to say where the Flyers will need help. That's what the trade deadline will be for (fingers crossed the Flyers are still a contender then).

the first one i disagree with.. the flyers goaltending was the only thing playing well from late january to early march.. bob and boosh were both hot, posting a combined GAA around 1.5.. but they couldn't win a game to save their lives cause the flyers offense was stone cold

richards and carter were streaky, they would go weeks without scoring a goal and then score 8 in 3 games.. the flyers didnt need those extra goals most of the time, they needed timely scoring, which is not what carter or richards provided last season.. i'm hopeful that this season they get more consistent scoring.. maybe it wont look as pretty at the end of the season, but more consistent scoring and fewer total goals, and the flyers would've been a better team last year

my biggest concern is the health of the defense as well