• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Year in Review: 2014-15

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anderwho, quite the post to make your return.

I think the problem with Chief was putting a square peg in a round hole. He was going to force his players into a system that did not fit what we had. He needed to adapt to the strengths of the tea and refused to do so. Probably cost him his job.

I agree with most of your assessment on defense, and especially CC. I think he could be a top 4 on this group but will not be resigned. I had started a "Play CC thread" long before he was in the line up. I think Manning has the talent to play at this level. He is a 3rd pairing guy on a team with 5-6 other 3rd pairing guys. I think with the right partner, Schultz can be a 2nd pairing guy. Problem is that he may be asked to be top pairing with Streit next year. That would not be such a bad 2nd pairing but they will be over used due to a lack of talent.

Ghost is a smooth skater and should be a decent top 4 and likely 2nd pair guy. From what I have read, Hagg translates better to the NHL than the AHL. Not sure I understand that so well, but that comes from actual former players. He and Ghost could be an interesting pair in 2 years. I can certainly see a future of:

Morin - Sanheim
Hagg - Ghost
Streit- MacDonald.
Alt.

That certainly beats what we put out there next year.

We need a good draft which means a pure scorer and possible another top flight dman. This will depend on how it plays out above us and whether a Marner drops. Most likely Provorov or Werenski is there and Marner and Rantanen are gone. Even though we badly need a LW, I don't think we pass on one of those 2 dmen. For the 2nd pick, at LW Bittner will probably be gone but DeBrusk would be a good pick. This is all moot if we win the lottery.

Hexy may have some cap space this year. We have 11 Forwards, 7 dmen and 1 goalie under contract. I would think White and maybe VV are brought back relatively cheaply. MDZ probably signs which leave 1 forward and a back up goalie. We need a top line LW but none are UFAs this year. Unless Hexy works some magic with a draft day trade, we are looking at the same team with a new coach.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy cow that was a long post, I had to take a lunch break after page 2. Welcome back ander!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely think the roster as assembled has the ability to make the playoffs. They aren't that far out this year with one of the worst road records in the league. Figure that out and they're in the playoffs. Or figure out how to win a game or two in OT or a SO, and they're in the playoffs.

I won't consider it a huge disappointment if the roster stays similar and they don't miss the playoffs, but they will definitely be in contention for it.

I agree. Statistically, guys like B. Schenn, Couturier, Read, Lecavalier and Umberger cannot possibly have worse seasons offensively. You could argue that they are 40-50% of our expected offense. Well, they were only a paltry 27% this season. That's including the minimum of 8 goals they had in garbage time.

All or most of these players will be significantly better next season and they make up 5 of our top 9 forwards.

For me, that's enough to put us in the playoffs next season.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For that matter, I thought all of these guys (other than Umberger due to injury) played better late in the season for whatever reason.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha that's how you come back anderwho! 4 page post! :suds:

edit: and a good one at that! the only things I moderately disagree with are projections for Cousins and Laughton. I think on Stanley Cup contenders they're 3rd or 4th liners when all is said and done. Granted, you've seen a lot more of them than I have.

I think Cousins would fit well in an Andrew Shaw type role on a team. Undersized third line center with some sand paper and skill to his game. I don't think he'll ever get that chance in this organization with Giroux, Couturier, Laughton and McDavid ( :crazy: )ahead of him on the center depth chart. And I don't think he skates well enough to play the wing at the NHL level. But the puck skills and passing ability are certainly NHL level. Just a shame he never got to show them off at the NHL level playing between Rinaldo and White.

As for Laughton, he most certainly will be a scorer in the NHL. How much of one remains to be seen. I was at the Phantoms' game last Saturday when they played one of the worst teams in the league, and they got thoroughly outplayed. If it wasn't for Stolie the Goalie keeping them afloat, they would not have forced overtime. Anyway, you could always tell when Laughton's line was on the ice, because he was the only one capable of getting the puck in the defensive zone and either skating it out around 2 forecheckers or threading a pass to a streaking winger in the neutral zone. His skating, 1-on-1 moves, and overall production remind me of Voracek circa 2012: tons of skill, but just missing that final scoring touch. Now I don't envision him ever finishing top 5 in the Art Ross race, but I think it's just a matter of time and experience before he starts producing in the NHL while bringing his tenacious puck pursuit style to all facets of the game.

Incidentally, in that Phantoms game last Saturday, Hagg looked awful. It was one of those games where he just wasn't interested. Maybe he needs to be challenged with defending the best in the world to keep his attention, making him a better NHL defenseman than an AHL one, but his compete level for this meaningless game between 2 cellar dwellers was non-existent aside from a couple blocked shots on a PK.