• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lind to the M's

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess it's done

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess we're not on as tight a budget as we thought. We've added $4.25 million on Iannetta, $5.5 million on Aoki, $6 million with Miley, $8 million with Lind and $7 million with Benoit.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we will field a major league team this year, but the future looks bleak.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm happy to have lind, and i think mil was smart to trade him before his value diminished too badly.

wish our idiot FO could have figured it out with iwakuma last season when he was in the last year of his contract, and the m's were clearly out of contention. it baffles me. i'd take just about anything we could get from contending teams desperate for rotation depth back then over whatever we'll get with a compensatory draft pick right now.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wish our idiot FO could have figured it out with iwakuma last season when he was in the last year of his contract, and the m's were clearly out of contention.

The narrative was that keeping him would make it easier to resign him in the winter. Caulk it up as another brilliant decision by the boys upstairs or in Japan or wherever/whoever they are

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the trade a lot and think it may be Dipoto's best so far, and somewhat compensates for the idiotic trades of Elias/Carson/Trumbo.

Mariners gave up three C level prospects who didn't rank in the top 30 of a mediocre farm system for an above average 1B. I'd be fuming if that's all my team got for Adam Lind.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the trade a lot and think it may be Dipoto's best so far, and somewhat compensates for the idiotic trades of Elias/Carson/Trumbo.

Mariners gave up three C level prospects who didn't rank in the top 30 of a mediocre farm system for an above average 1B. I'd be fuming if that's all my team got for Adam Lind.
One of which had TJ surgery last year, so we win this one for sure. This team is gonna have some pop in the lineup with solid defense in the field. The starting rotation should be good, but the bullpen is of major concern. If you don't consider what we have given up, this team is looking better than it ended last year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of which had TJ surgery last year, so we win this one for sure. This team is gonna have some pop in the lineup with solid defense in the field. The starting rotation should be good, but the bullpen is of major concern. If you don't consider what we have given up, this team is looking better than it ended last year.

100% agreed. My biggest concern is that we might see a regression from Nelson Cruz, but I was also saying the same thing last year before the season started.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Without the Trumbo trade, you don't have this one.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we will field a major league team this year, but the future looks bleak.

They're looking at it this way which makes sense. Our main core guys in the lineup Cruz and Cano are in their 30's and heading toward the tail end of it quickly so they don't really have the window to develop talent in the majors for a few years while they have gas in the tank still. I like the fact that they want a winner now and if they get that, they have plenty of time to rebuild the farm during that small window while we enjoy success now. Now Seattle needs some bullpen arms.

RF Aoki
SS Marte
2B Cano
DH Cruz
3B Seager
1B Lind / Montero
LF Gutierrez / Smith
C Iannetta/Clevenger
CF Martin / O'Malley

Man that is one different looking lineup. haha.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't know if this is a steal of a deal for several years when dealing with three teenagers. One could be the next Felix as far as any of us know. I like the addition, but the final vote is 4 years away. Anyone remember that David Ortiz kid we traded away a decade ago?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't know if this is a steal of a deal for several years when dealing with three teenagers. One could be the next Felix as far as any of us know. I like the addition, but the final vote is 4 years away. Anyone remember that David Ortiz kid we traded away a decade ago?

Yes... :L

Adam Jones was another one I facepalmed HARD when we traded him. Was that the moment I gave up on the Mariners? It was pretty close. You can google multiple sites for biggest trade blunder of all time and Adam Jones usually pops up in top 10 if not 5.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this trade for now but agree with NWinAZ. I didn't realize they were so young originally.

pistlpete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry has eliminated the hitters who frequently struck out and had low OBP. He's replaced them with guys who put the ball in play, have some speed, and better OBP. This will allow Servais the opportunity to create runs via hit and run, steal, etc at the top and bottom of the lineup. The wRC+ is now better at all of these positions

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry has eliminated the hitters who frequently struck out and had low OBP. He's replaced them with guys who put the ball in play, have some speed, and better OBP. This will allow Servais the opportunity to create runs via hit and run, steal, etc at the top and bottom of the lineup. The wRC+ is now better at all of these positions

And none of those numbers have been accumulated while playing 81 games a year in Safeco. That will be the real test. Plus our bullpen sucks more than last year so don't go buying any W.S. tickets just yet.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If either Martin or Ianetta can be average then this looks like a longer lineup for sure. Aoki should be light years better then Jackson at the top of the order and you hopefully don't have Lomos/ackleys/Zuninos clogging up the bottom of the order.

I'm still not crazy about the pitching right now but that's for another thread.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that the moment I gave up on the Mariners? It was pretty close. You can google multiple sites for biggest trade blunder of all time and Adam Jones usually pops up in top 10 if not 5.

If you gave up on the M's in 2008, why are you still here 7 years later? Either actually decide to give up or stop pretending you've given up. The wishy washy fence sitting position is reserved for fairweather fans.

Lind will be a serviceable 1B against RHP with Montero taking his spot against LHP. I like what DiPoto has done for the most part (Would love to have Carson Smith still), especially with the OBP/low K guys he's targeted. He's driven the high K/occasional power guys out and I think that's only going to improve the team. The problem is competing in the Cruz/Cano/Felix window and that can't be an easy thing to do. I like the Aoki signing a lot. Keeping Guti may be a big sleeper.

At least this season should be interesting to watch the pieces fit together.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Guti may be a big sleeper.

On one hand I agree, but on the other it reminds me a little of the Griffey comeback tour when his second year back was a huge disappointment over his first year back. Crossing fingers this works out better.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

The Brewers new GM publicly stated Lind wasn't in his long-term plans, so he traded Lind immediately. Lind only has one year left on his deal and could've easily rode the rest of the season as Braun's left-handed protection then just not re-signed in Milwaukee. He's making moves to secure the 1st pick in the next draft and I'll be surprised if he doesn't get it. The Brewers are going to be unwatchable this year.