• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lincecum might be coming back

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I go back to my used car analogy. MLB is not cars.com. We can't log on anytime we want and choose from 1000's of SP's in a 25 mile radius. If we wait and he signs elsewhere, there may not be another viable opportunity for weeks or even months. And there is no one in the minors beating the door down. You have to make decisions here 1) without all the information you'd like (ie, are PV and Cain going to continue to suck, and is Timmeh really ready?), 2) faster than you'd want to make them, and 3) by spending more money than you'd like. This is a pitcher's market, and several buyers will be willing to beat you any way they can.

Timmy, despite his injury struggles, had a 4.13 ERA last year, his best ERA since 2011. That is a huge improvement over Cain and PV.

It's a tough call. But can we rely on Cain and PV BOTH becoming even average at this point? Lincecum is a very good fit right now if he's healthy.

And do you really want to see him wearing Dodger blue?

In The FO We Trust.

We many not have hundreds of SP to choose from, but we do have
1. Cain -- velocity is back, he appears healthy.
2. PV -- he's pitched well as recently as last year.
3. Heston -- also pitched well in 2015, is being stretched out in Sacto.
4. Blackburn -- not lighting it up in Sacto, but the stuff is there and his K/BB is good
5. Blach -- pitching better than Blackburn at the moment, and the peripherals are good.
6. Suarez -- still getting stretched out, but throwing probably the best of all the AAA starters.

I'd put Timmah no better than 7 on this list of options as a SP. Even then, he'd have a month ramp up in AAA to get ready to come up. He won't want to be a LR -- some team will give him a shot at the rotation. I think you're right that one of PV/Cain will have to come out of the rotation next month. I just don't see Timmy as the fix here, and I'm not sure the money would be well spent on such a long shot.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the odds are against it. Admittedly, my heart would love to see it happen.

Either way, it's going to be an interesting week. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the FO discusses this.

One more morsel of food for thought. He is allegedly hitting 91 on the gun now. What if he hits 93 in the showcase?

Just asking.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the odds are against it. Admittedly, my heart would love to see it happen.

Either way, it's going to be an interesting week. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the FO discusses this.

One more morsel of food for thought. He is allegedly hitting 91 on the gun now. What if he hits 93 in the showcase?

Just asking.

93 on the gun is half of it. He hasn't consistently located pitches since like 2011. So just because he may be throwing harder doesn't necessarily signal that he will be effective.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
93 on the gun is half of it. He hasn't consistently located pitches since like 2011. So just because he may be throwing harder doesn't necessarily signal that he will be effective.
Perhaps, but I would guess there was a circular cause and effect. The more velocity he lost, the more carefully he had to locate pitches. Also, batters could sit on his change and react to the fastball. If he can throw 91-93, they can't react to the fastball as well. It becomes more of a guessing game to the hitter, with the advantage to Timmeh.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but I would guess there was a circular cause and effect. The more velocity he lost, the more carefully he had to locate pitches. Also, batters could sit on his change and react to the fastball. If he can throw 91-93, they can't react to the fastball as well. It becomes more of a guessing game to the hitter, with the advantage to Timmeh.

I agree, but here are the facts. His velocity has steadily declined over the span of 4 years while his control has not improved. I would venture to say he has regressed in this area, but that is simply my slap dick arm chair GM opinion.

Just because his velocity is back up to 93 doesn't mean he has learned to re-locate his pitches. And if he hasn't learned control by this point, one could only assume that his velocity will decrease over the course of a season as it does with most pitchers, rendering him virtually useless.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this happens, but if the worse case scenario, for Timmy, plays out, he will be signing a minor league deal with someone. The Giants love reclamation pitchers (i.e. Ricky Romero, to name just one of the most recent ones). I could see them jumping on the minor league deal with Lincecum, with an idea of a timeline if he does well. Considering the uncertainty of Peavy and Cain, and a plethora of upper level arms struggling or just not impressing, they (the F.O.) may well consider that scenario if it plays out.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this happens, but if the worse case scenario, for Timmy, plays out, he will be signing a minor league deal with someone. The Giants love reclamation pitchers (i.e. Ricky Romero, to name just one of the most recent ones). I could see them jumping on the minor league deal with Lincecum, with an idea of a timeline if he does well. Considering the uncertainty of Peavy and Cain, and a plethora of upper level arms struggling or just not impressing, they (the F.O.) may well consider that scenario if it plays out.

I agree with this scenario, but he'd have to have an unimpressive showcase Friday...for his sake I hope he doesn't.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really cant imagine him NOT signing with SD. It just makes too much sense.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Tim had his showcase today, and he impressed some folks that were there.

"That said, he's open to signing with a team as a reliever and working his way back into the starting rotation."

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the 3 teams most interested in Timmy are the Giants, Angels, and White Sox. If the Padres and Mariners aren't interested you would think he would pick the Giants wouldn't you?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the 3 teams most interested in Timmy are the Giants, Angels, and White Sox. If the Padres and Mariners aren't interested you would think he would pick the Giants wouldn't you?
Perhaps this is why they brought up Blackburn, to make room for Timmeh in Sacramento?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signed with the Angels. :sad2:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can still hold out hope for Schmidt. I understand he is still available...

Really, cal? Marichal is still unsigned too.

Peavy and Cain may be getting it together, but if one doesn't, and if Timmy can still pitch why would you be so dismissive of him coming back?

Dude is still my favorite Giant of the championship era, and I hope he does great in LA. Can't hurt us and may even help if he pitches vs the Dodgers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, cal? Marichal is still unsigned too.

Peavy and Cain may be getting it together, but if one doesn't, and if Timmy can still pitch why would you be so dismissive of him coming back?

Dude is still my favorite Giant of the championship era, and I hope he does great in LA. Can't hurt us and may even help if he pitches vs the Dodgers.
Yes, if Cain/Peavy revert back to suckage (likely at least one will) than it would not be horrible to give Timmeh a chance. But I would rather see either Suarez, Blackburn, Blach, Heston, etc, etc, etc given a chance than have to promise a shot to Timmeh.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Lincecums of Anaheim are gonna beat the Dogs for us tonight if their pen can hold on. Up 7-4 in the 8th on the road. :hope:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Lincecums of Anaheim are gonna beat the Dogs for us tonight if their pen can hold on. Up 7-4 in the 8th on the road. :hope:
7-6 bottom 9...

Edit:

I guess I should have checked the score first...

7-6 final

:yes: