• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lincecum might be coming back

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could a reunion between Tim Lincecum and the San Francisco Giants still take place?

sf.pngThe Giants "remain interested" in the 31-year-old, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports. Lincecum has been pitching in Arizona this offseason but has yet to throw for teams, which was reportedly supposed to take place earlier this year.

Lincecum won two Cy Youngs in his nine years with the Giants, so it's no surprise that they would keep tabs on him as he tries to come back from a hip injury

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is not going to happen for several reasons:

1. He wants to start, and we have Heston and Blackburn as depth...for him to be signed as a SP means something has gone horribly wrong.
2. There will be at least one team that needs a SP badly and if nobody offers him a major league contract and a rotation spot, then that tells you all you need to know about his ability to come back.
3. For us to resign him as a RP, something will have gone horribly wrong with out bullpen depth. We are carrying 8 RP now because we don't want to lose Gearrin. A phone call away are several ML ready pitchers (Black, Broadway, Crick, Gardeck, Law, Okert, and Smith are all on the 40 man already; Dunning, Fleet, Lara, Mazzaro and McCormick are all at AAA). Now Timmy might be better than some of those guys at this point, he may even be better than most of them -- but he's not better than ALL of them. I don't want to see the relief pitchpocalypse that would have to occur for us to offer him a RP role on the big club.

All in all, I'm as nostalgic as the next guy about Big Time Timmy Jim, but he's not coming back to the Giants.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ship Peavy out. Lincecum is better. Peavy might net us a decent prospect

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could a reunion between Tim Lincecum and the San Francisco Giants still take place?

View attachment 105420The Giants "remain interested" in the 31-year-old, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports. Lincecum has been pitching in Arizona this offseason but has yet to throw for teams, which was reportedly supposed to take place earlier this year.

Lincecum won two Cy Youngs in his nine years with the Giants, so it's no surprise that they would keep tabs on him as he tries to come back from a hip injury

Hahaha-No-Meme-11.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, look at his season numbers...
I was commenting more on the "let's trade one of our starters in April and go with someone who hasn't been effective in three years" illogic.

Worst. Post. Of. The. Season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was commenting more on the "let's trade one of our starters in April and go with someone who hasn't been effective in three years" illogic.

Worst. Post. Of. The. Season.
Ok, you need to get up to regular-season form, and quick. I was being sarcastic.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are hosting him out of good faith, and little more. They want to keep a good relationship going with him so he can be a full-fledged member of the Giants alumni system when he does officially hang them up. If he does happen to actually show something and look like he could be helpful to someone, this also keeps the Giants at the front of the line of getting his services.

Being nice to him has a little upside but zero down side.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are hosting him out of good faith, and little more. They want to keep a good relationship going with him so he can be a full-fledged member of the Giants alumni system when he does officially hang them up. If he does happen to actually show something and look like he could be helpful to someone, this also keeps the Giants at the front of the line of getting his services.

Being nice to him has a little upside but zero down side.
Being nice is always a good idea. If he does look good, I do hope he can make the team. They may need him. However, the Giants have already kept him long enough with mediocre results as payment for his extraordinary years. I don't want him re-signed just because.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being nice is always a good idea. If he does look good, I do hope he can make the team. They may need him. However, the Giants have already kept him long enough with mediocre results as payment for his extraordinary years. I don't want him re-signed just because.
Absolutely. He has been given approx 0.1B as thanks for HS service to the org. The org does not owe him anything additional. Anything given at this point would be either earned, or as a friend. No more "thank you" money.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincecum reportedly throwing 90-91. IMHO, that is right on the cusp of where we should be interested. Cain and PV not making it happen. No one in the minors appears ready. We have room in the budget to make an offer.

The stars are lining up on this one.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincecum reportedly throwing 90-91. IMHO, that is right on the cusp of where we should be interested. Cain and PV not making it happen. No one in the minors appears ready. We have room in the budget to make an offer.

The stars are lining up on this one.
Except that he wants to start and we are not going to pull PV from the rotation yet. I'd say it's a long shot. He'd need to be unimpressive enough to not get a starting gig elsewhere but just impressive enough for us to sign him to the bullpen.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that he wants to start and we are not going to pull PV from the rotation yet. I'd say it's a long shot. He'd need to be unimpressive enough to not get a starting gig elsewhere but just impressive enough for us to sign him to the bullpen.
Well, I go back to my used car analogy. MLB is not cars.com. We can't log on anytime we want and choose from 1000's of SP's in a 25 mile radius. If we wait and he signs elsewhere, there may not be another viable opportunity for weeks or even months. And there is no one in the minors beating the door down. You have to make decisions here 1) without all the information you'd like (ie, are PV and Cain going to continue to suck, and is Timmeh really ready?), 2) faster than you'd want to make them, and 3) by spending more money than you'd like. This is a pitcher's market, and several buyers will be willing to beat you any way they can.

Timmy, despite his injury struggles, had a 4.13 ERA last year, his best ERA since 2011. That is a huge improvement over Cain and PV.

It's a tough call. But can we rely on Cain and PV BOTH becoming even average at this point? Lincecum is a very good fit right now if he's healthy.

And do you really want to see him wearing Dodger blue?

In The FO We Trust.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh needs to go to a non-contending club. Too many questions surrounding him. I feel more comfortable with Heston, Blackburn, Mejia or Gregorio stepping into our rotation than I do with signing Timmeh.

Remember, if we sign Timmeh, that means there needs to be a corresponding 40-man move.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh needs to go to a non-contending club. Too many questions surrounding him. I feel more comfortable with Heston, Blackburn, Mejia or Gregorio stepping into our rotation than I do with signing Timmeh.

Remember, if we sign Timmeh, that means there needs to be a corresponding 40-man move.

But will Timmeh want to go to a non-contending club? My guess is no. He's made a ton of money, and he has been at the pinnacle of MLB competition. I don't think he wants to be a ham-and-egger at a non-contender.

I don't know if any of the guys you mention are ready. Heston and Blackburn got hit pretty hard in ST. The others are a real crap shoot.

Re the 40, put PV on the DL. Can we DFA him? I suck at the roster rules.

Just discussing here, not arguing. I totally get your points.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh may WANT to be on a contender, but I don't think any contenders can give him the guarenteed slot that a team like SD can give him.

Sure, Heston and Blackburn are not lighting it up, but nothing we have seen from Timmeh indicates that he WILL light it up. Signing him means the Gs will need to cut bait with someone while going with Heston or Blackburn does not.

PV can be DFA'd, but that won't happen. DFAing a vet is a slap in the face that the Giants won't do to a good Giant. They did it to Rowand and Tejada because they were cancers and NOT good Giants. They did it to Scutaro, I suspect, because Scutaro requested it (they re signed him a few months earlier just so they could imediately place him on the 60 and he could retire as a Giant).

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PV can be DFA'd, but that won't happen.

PV brings me to tears. Like, I literally get those little tingles in my eyes that signal a deluge is imminent when I look at the line up and see him starting. Thanks for everything, but JFC, I wish he'd just stop already!

200.gif