• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Let's take 4 from the hated A's!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have time to get into the numbers right now. I'll come back to this later.

Don't bother, he's already made up his mind, he's been bagging on Choo for weeks, it's obviously his whipping boy for the year, that's why I don't bother responding in regards to Choo

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it was the case last year, but was Choo still getting the David Murphy strike zone last night?

You know 5-7 inches off the plate and away, basically impossible to hit for anything more than a dinker to the 3B side of the IF or a double play...

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't bother, he's already made up his mind, he's been bagging on Choo for weeks, it's obviously his whipping boy for the year, that's why I don't bother responding in regards to Choo
Like I told Nightcrawler, it's hard to earn your pay on the DL.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just told that our 25 man roster is the youngest team in baseball at 27 years. Did not know that.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just me but I would switch Fielder and Choo.

I need to see Choo hit something before I move him in to the 3 spot. His timing isnt quite where it should be yet...

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you all know if that is accurate or not?

Looking at our lineup and assuming the information is correct, it's still a little skewed due to our BP being full of youngsters and we're experimenting with DeShields (22) for a month or so anyway.

But still, I do like the idea of us having young players.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he was "great" sometime between the end of April and May 6? Know "great" is subjective but I don't think his end of April line of .303 .433 .474 .907 isn't that great so he must have been "great" during those five games in the first week of May.

Just trying to narrow that period down when he was great.
His greatness with us was a small sample size indeed.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to see Choo hit something before I move him in to the 3 spot. His timing isnt quite where it should be yet...

Yeah, I'm with ya for now. Choo did not look good last night, timing wise.

But jta was asking about Choo's "special strike zone" and it did appear on two pitches for sure he got the 2014 treatment. Anyone know why this is? After all, Joe West ain't here. Seriously, what's up with that?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be typical of MLB rosters in today's world, but I found this interesting:

On our 40 man roster, we have players from 10 countries.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm with ya for now. Choo did not look good last night, timing wise.

But jta was asking about Choo's "special strike zone" and it did appear on two pitches for sure he got the 2014 treatment. Anyone know why this is? After all, Joe West ain't here. Seriously, what's up with that?

Just seems like one of our LHHs always gets the wide zone for some reason; first noticed it with Murphy (multiple seasons) and now Choo (last year)

By the end of the season, Choo was having to dive out over the plate and swing at trash just to keep from being called out on strikes everytime, he was definitely out of his comfort zone

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems like one of our LHHs always gets the wide zone for some reason; first noticed it with Murphy (multiple seasons) and now Choo (last year)

By the end of the season, Choo was having to dive out over the plate and swing at trash just to keep from being called out on strikes everytime, he was definitely out of his comfort zone

Frankly, why would anyone be comfortable going to the plate and knowing pitches 4-10 inches outside the zone are gonna be called strikes?

I'd never seen any one player get as many bad calls as Choo. And I'm not just saying this b/c he's now a Ranger. And yes, I do remember the "Murphy Treatment" too. But it pales in comparison.

It's something the Rangers should have addressed with MLB IMO.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree XX but Elvis is no better in the 2 hole. Everyone not named Rua looked no better. Choo will come around.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be typical of MLB rosters in today's world, but I found this interesting:

On our 40 man roster, we have players from 10 countries.
I believe I read yesterday that we have the most foreign born players on our roster.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree XX but Elvis is no better in the 2 hole. Everyone not named Rua looked no better. Choo will come around.

April will be the workout month for the entire roster. Beltre is a self-starter and I don't think TEX worries too much about him getting himself up to speed. Focus at the moment appears getting the early and extra AB for Prince. That's why he's at #3 and not Choo who is the other project.

Ideally Choo would be hitting #2 with Beltre and Prince behind him. To do that though means Elvis would have to go back to leadoff. Perhaps Choo gets untracked and hot and Martin and Andrus start getting on base and then Choo when he gets untracked goes to #3 ... but I think the best way to break the overshift used against Prince is to have a baserunner at 2nd. So perhaps the whole batting order depends on Martin and more so Andrus.

Choo may have gotten some wide strikes called against him last night. I don't remember. What I do remember was that he was being attacked inside ... especially the last AB. While some LH hitters may be getting the wide strike calls ... does not appear that pitchers are going there throwing to Prince which would play into his going the other way and breaking the shift.

My point above was that it was premature in my opinion for Choo to be moved out of the #5 spot to #3 until he's untracked. April will be the test for the entire roster.