• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let Me Introduce Myself

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City Fans,

I am a new moderator to this board and as such I wanted to introduce myself, even though most people want moderators to be seen very little. I also thought that my link to your team is a bit strange, so if I post later, it would seem weird for anyone paying attention. I realize that some or most of you won't care, but wanted to explain anyway. (You'll come to know that I write long posts.)

My Link to the Niners

I grew up in Utah (no, I'm not Mormon), a state without an NFL team. I followed the Niners growing up and still do. I have to admit I built a strong fandom, one that I cannot shake (haven't tried). My uncle lives in San Francisco and while I couldn't watch games with him, from as long as I can remember, I watched them and talked to him afterward. Even though I am a Utes fan, I did like Steve Young when he was there - but that would have been true regardless of his alma mater.

My Link to the Chiefs

My uncle from the other side of the family went to law school in Missouri before the Rams moved to St. Louis. He's a Chicago Bears fan but followed the Chiefs due to his time there and friends he made in the area. This was the opposite of the other uncle in that, while I would watch the games with him (Chicago and Kansas City), it was always clear that I was a Niners fan. Time slots and television schedules interfered with the ability to watch every game, but I saw enough. I feel the connection I had with my uncle watching the Chiefs (though rooting for the Niners and he the Bears) has given me a bit of familiarity with KC. I know the Bears, too, but never felt that connection. Maybe it was too much of his team and in the same conference. Maybe it was from his team hitting Young in the endzone. Maybe it was Montana and others going to the Chiefs that broke the tie (though I was very young).

Coincidental Link to the Chiefs

Being from Utah, I am a Utes fan and root for players from the state. This, for those who don't follow college football, includes Alex Smith. Yes, it also includes Eric Weddle and Mike McCoy from the Chargers and Tony Bergstrom from the Raiders (went to high school with him). But, as a Niners fan, I grew to not like the Raiders much. Those positions also don't lend to much rooting, as I am a QB and WR fan. I will predominantly post here on QBs and WRs, though I admit I won't call myself an expert. I have no link to San Diego (Weddle/McCoy is too little of a connection) or Denver.

I went to USC for undergraduate degree, so I watched Cassel's career at KC, as well. Didn't feel attached because he never took a snap in college.

Regarding Alex Smith

It was the perfect alignment when the Niners picked Alex Smith as their QB. My home state's QB was on my favorite team. When the Niners traded Smith to Kansas City, I felt that I would just follow him but not the team. Growing up without a local team, I understand that the strength of fandom can be tempted, but temptation doesn't always mean giving in. I will always be a fan of the Niners, but the feeling that I would never root for anyone else is a bit challenged here, I have to admit. I may adopt the Chiefs as a team of mine. Will do so for as long as Smith or Reid is there (from Utah, too - BYU, though). But you might grow on me. I am a Jazz fan and I would never follow a Ute to another team because local teams are stronger than others.

Conclusion

Posts shouldn't be so long that they have conclusions, but long story short (not that short), I see the Niners as my first team and the Chiefs as my AFC team. I am not a fair-weather fan, as I followed the Niners through the bad years and the good years. I was a fan regardless of QB and still am. I supported the QB switch last year, despite wishing Smith would have had last year to prove something. (Not saying he would have - may have ended up losing but I thought with a good gameplan, they had a shot.)

I think it worked out best for both the Niners and Smith, however painful it was last year. I went to law school in Washington and my alma mater's former coach is Pete Carrol. I do not like the Seahawks. That has been built into me, just like not liking the Raiders or Rams. I don't feel affiliation with a player or coach would change things, but the fact that I, as a Niners fan grown to know Smith and through my uncle, I knew the Chiefs, I am warming up to you.

Let me catch my breath.