• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leino sent to locker room

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leino played just 2 shifts in the 3rd period. Was not on the bench after. Lavy was asked several times about what happened and response each time was "We wanted to shorten the bench". Heres Leino's postgame quotes. Hope the players get the message that Lavy is fed up.

Q: Was there a particular reason why you only played two shifts in the third period?

“That’s the coach’s decision. I’m ok. Obviously, I want to play and I want to be part of a tight battle like that but that’s the coach’s decision.”

Q: Did you think you did something wrong on the ice?

“I think I played a good first period. In the second I had one or two bad shifts but not clearly too bad. I wasn’t on my best game but like I said it was the coach’s decision.”

Q: You guys were mixing it up a lot line-wise. Are you impacted by that sometimes?

“Yeah, sometimes it does. Penalties impact it too. Danny [Briere] wasn’t in today. I’m sure that impacted it too but other than that I don’t know.”

Q: Could you talk about what happened in those two shifts, anything specific that you did or didn’t do?

“I just felt like I wasn’t inside the game the way I wanted, maybe won a battle out there. I just wasn’t in the game the way I wanted.”

Q: Is he [Head Coach Peter Laviolette] the kind of coach that will talk to you tomorrow about it?

“Maybe, maybe not. I don’t know what he will do but we will see tomorrow.”

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about damn time. It seems like all the coaches within the division, outside of Laviolette and the Islanders' Coach of the Month, reward guys who show effort and heart and bench guys who mail it in. While Leino wouldn't have been my first choice to bench, he certainly deserved it. He's a playmaker, and he hasn't been making plays. And if he's not making plays, what good is he? He doesn't kill penalties, he doesn't bring an edge, he doesn't do anything except pass.

I say sit him Tuesday (again, not my first choice but someone has to be made an example) and call up Testwuide, Holmstrom, Kalinski, or Wellwood to inject some life into this dead lineup.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about damn time. It seems like all the coaches within the division, outside of Laviolette and the Islanders' Coach of the Month, reward guys who show effort and heart and bench guys who mail it in. While Leino wouldn't have been my first choice to bench, he certainly deserved it. He's a playmaker, and he hasn't been making plays. And if he's not making plays, what good is he? He doesn't kill penalties, he doesn't bring an edge, he doesn't do anything except pass.

I say sit him Tuesday (again, not my first choice but someone has to be made an example) and call up Testwuide, Holmstrom, Kalinski, or Wellwood to inject some life into this dead lineup.

I wouldnt go that far as to benching half the lineup a week before the playoffs and cause a full scale mutiny in the locker room. But I get what youre saying. I hope this does wake up the players that arent performing (Leino, Richards, Versteeg, Kimmo)

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt go that far as to benching half the lineup a week before the playoffs and cause a full scale mutiny in the locker room. But I get what youre saying. I hope this wakes up players that arent performing (Leino, Richards, Versteeg, Kimmo)

No, I'm saying bench Leino on Tuesday and call up 1 of those guys. I'm a big Testwuide fan, and the other 3 have all seen time with the Flyers either this year or years past. Kalinski came up around the same time as Powe and I think he had him beat out for the energy role, but that leg injury gave Powe the job. Powe hasn't had any kind of energy recently. Bring him back up and let him finish what he started 2 years ago.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it matters who it is. Bench someone to tell the team that the effort and the results are unacceptable. Our team looks decent for stretches, but essentially never for more than a period at a time and we are underachieving game after game. It was nice to win the finale against the Pens, but it's all for naught if the Pens win out and we only manage two points or fewer in the final three games. That scenario looks more and more realistic with each passing day and it's fucking depressing.

It feels like clinching the top seed is a near impossibility already despite still being in the "driver's seat" with the tiebreaker still in hand. Enough of that "control your own destiny" bullshit anyway. Just go out and focus on winning one hockey game tomorrow night. That will go a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, Briere is being kept out of the next game or two as a precaution. Betts too. That is two spots to bring up some energy without screwing with the locker room.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying for weeks and weeks that someone should be benched and one of the young guns should be brought up, but.....whatever.

Lavy needed to make some kind of statement and who knows....maybe Leino was probably picked because he was the one who could handle it the best. Instead of taking it as a "wake up call", fucking ******** and Richards would have gone on wild hissy fits and divided the whole locker room just to sooth their bruised egos.

Well......we won't have long to wait to see if "it" had any lasting or short term effects. Bring on the Sens.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all do respect to the Sens, this should be a Philadelphia win tomorrow night, no matter who we bench or scratch. A fucking shootout loss will not do this time.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all need to be benched after this weekends poor showing!

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Briere is being kept out of the next game or two as a precaution. Betts too. That is two spots to bring up some energy without screwing with the locker room.

Agreed. Calling up Phantoms for the hell of it is stupid.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Betts and Briere look to still be out come Tuesday. Holmstrom gets called up

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as long as Z stays in the lineup.. he's been fantastic.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they're resting DB he needs to be strong come playoffs and getting Z back into the fold can't hurt either he's a wildcard but he'll score a big one when you need it. Leino will be fine everyone has a bad game...I'm just glad Lavy is willing to send a message to the players!

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've really liked Leino since they picked him up, but I've been really po'd with his play as of late (he's not the only one). Leino has been holding on to the puck too long, and since the other teams know he's going to pass, they just stay in the lanes waiting for him to pass it THEM. He's also been horrid along the boards, along with a bunch of others. WHo knows what really caused him to get benched, more than likely he was told NOT to do something and promptly went out and did it anyway......they all need a good kick in the a$$ (although jvr and zherdev have been good).