• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Legit concerns after two preseason games.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Despite the 34-0 drubbing yesterday and being beat handily by the Ravens I really don't think feel there are a lot of major concerns and I don't think the scores are really indicative at all to how are season is going to play out.

The concerns I have though are:

1) Backup QB - The obvious elephant in the room and really the main reason why the preseason has looked way worse than it has. If Kap is gone for the year our season is sunk but that's almost every team in the league but you do want to have a backup that could win you a game or two if Kap does go out and so far no one has shown they would even be close.

2) ILB - Neither Borland or Wilhoite have really taken command of the position and clearly neither one is going to be Bowman you would like to see them both play better. Borland seems like he quicker to the ball but he's just getting fooled way too badly out there so I think we'll ultimately go with Wilhoite who did fill in fairly well for Bowman last year and won't be the liability mentally that Borland is.

3) Safety depth - Our depth behind our starting Safeties is terrible and we better hope we never need to dip into our depth. It's bad enough that we would likely move Ward to Safety in the event if one of our safeties did get injured.

4) Culliver - This one was a concern prior to preseason and while he didn't do anything to add to my concerns he didn't do anything to ease them either. Typically CBs take a full season of playing before they bounce back from an ACL tear so crossing my fingers that it's not to the case with Cully.

5) Looney - This one is minor to me as Looney was a better player yesterday than against the Ravens but I would still put it as a concern until he gets more reps and prove himself more.

Overall though I see little reason to hit the panic button thus far and I'm actually more pleased at some of the things I've seen than dismayed.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Agree with everything you said, just some additional thoughts

1) Totally agree that our backup situation is murky, I know Harbs does good things with QBs but Gabbert may be too much of a project. If BJ Daniels gets cut by Seattle, SF should go get him
2) Agree both of them (ILB) looked a bit shaky, maybe with Willis out there he can help them get situated better. Fangio did say he could use a rotation with both, one obvious passing downs use one and for obvious running plays.
4) Culliver looked ok, played soft and that pass in the end zone was more of Manning missing the throw then Cullys coverage. The WR was able to create separation. I am hoping it was mainly due to it being pre season he didn't play as hard.
5) Any update on Boone? Given that depth on the OL is important, I would want to sign him and not trade him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everything you said, just some additional thoughts

1) Totally agree that our backup situation is murky, I know Harbs does good things with QBs but Gabbert may be too much of a project. If BJ Daniels gets cut by Seattle, SF should go get him
2) Agree both of them (ILB) looked a bit shaky, maybe with Willis out there he can help them get situated better. Fangio did say he could use a rotation with both, one obvious passing downs use one and for obvious running plays.
4) Culliver looked ok, played soft and that pass in the end zone was more of Manning missing the throw then Cullys coverage. The WR was able to create separation. I am hoping it was mainly due to it being pre season he didn't play as hard.
5) Any update on Boone? Given that depth on the OL is important, I would want to sign him and not trade him.

Line play was not good on either side of the ball. No pressure on Manning and Oline was somewhat porous. Aldon Smith was almost invisible yesterday.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Line play was not good on either side of the ball. No pressure on Manning and Oline was somewhat porous. Aldon Smith was almost invisible yesterday.

It would've been something that I listed as a concern but our entire starting defensive line was on the sidelines so it's just not reasonable to expect to get to Manning behind a line that only gave up 18 sacks the previous year.

Offensively the line could've been better but it wasn't bad either. I thought the line played better than it did against the Ravens so it's not something I'm concerned about right now either.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Tim Ryan who was calling the game yesterday-- team just looks flat out tired. hopefully the starters will be refreshed from all the scrubs playing so much during camp.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncle Rico going 9-14 for 40 yards and 1 int was awful. But what is amazing is that he averaged 2.9 yards per completion. Wow.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to get an angle with so many starters sitting out. I would say the the 9ers need a back up QB stat and eat the money from the Gabbert trade. The D looked a bit confused on plays and the Secondary looked the same as they have been....clueless. Dawson with 2 missed FGs? I would like to see in the next preseason game a solid drive from our starters for a TD and a Defensive stand from our starting D. Unit then.....concern.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to get an angle with so many starters sitting out. I would say the the 9ers need a back up QB stat and eat the money from the Gabbert trade. The D looked a bit confused on plays and the Secondary looked the same as they have been....clueless. Dawson with 2 missed FGs? I would like to see in the next preseason game a solid drive from our starters for a TD and a Defensive stand from our starting D. Unit then.....concern.

I 100% disagree! By having both Borland and Wilhoite playing together in place of Bow and Willis, we get to see them at their best positions having to carry out the same assignments as they would have to in the regular season in their respective positions. If they both suck, we have a problem, but we get to analyze it thoroughly. Having both Boone and Martin play side by side forces them to focus on their assignments without the cologne of Davis or Boone bailing them out on occasion. We get to see exactly how they would hold up and they are doing it against the other team's 1's.

As far as the defense looking confused, I totally agree but I also know that shit will hit the fan once the starters that are calling out assignments, audibles, etc. are out of the game. At one point, we had Johnson, and Acker at CB, Ward and McCray at S. Seriously, whose making the secondary calls with switches, reads, etc.?!? I expect a bit of confusion from Q2-Q4, but I do expect flashes of brilliance on occasion. Dial and Carradine are two perfect examples of players who have made some mistakes, but have also answered the question as to whether they were going to be contributors this season based on their play.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO we're relying too much on "once the starters return", and this is of course on defense. This D supposedly has more depth and shouldn't be beaten SO badly? it is the extent of beating, not they're just beaten.

the fact is even when the rest of the starters play, we're STILL missing two All Pro's. to make it worse, Aldon's suspension doesn't look like it'll be short? we fans should lower our expectations on D.

the 1st unit offense can move between the 20's, not surprising. but it appears they STILL struggle in the red zone? The offense will need to help out a lot this season, but they're not showing they can score TD's?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO we're relying too much on "once the starters return", and this is of course on defense. This D supposedly has more depth and shouldn't be beaten SO badly? it is the extent of beating, not they're just beaten.

the fact is even when the rest of the starters play, we're STILL missing two All Pro's. to make it worse, Aldon's suspension doesn't look like it'll be short? we fans should lower our expectations on D.

the 1st unit offense can move between the 20's, not surprising. but it appears they STILL struggle in the red zone? The offense will need to help out a lot this season, but they're not showing they can score TD's?

There are definitely some concerns on D. ILB is looking shakier than I thought it would. I thought we might see both Wilhoite and Borland look like decent starters, and to date, they've both had their share of struggles. That said, it's hard to accurately assess them when they're playing behind a backup DL. Ray Lewis looked shaky when he was playing behind a less-than-stellar three-man front (and complained vocally about it). I also have concerns about the DBs. Especially when we play a team like Denver, we need to be more aggressive at the line. But that could be a preseason thing.

On offense, it's tough to say the first team has struggled in the red zone. On the first drive of the preseason, they had first and goal at the 15. Hyde ran to the right, and got about the worst spot I've seen in a professional football game. It should have either been a first down, or second and like 18". Instead, it was 3rd and 2. At that point, we brought in Hampton who ran off the right side for one yard. That's realistically our fourth-string RB running behind two backup OL. Even with the poor blocking, I think Hyde picks up that first. The blocking was problematic on third down, admittedly, but I think the fault there lies with the coaching staff not being truly committed to scoring.

In the second game, we didn't get into the red zone - which could be something of a problem in and of itself, but not of the failing to get it done in the red zone variety. Kap took a deep shot on third and four from the 37. Frankly, I thought the ball should have been caught (though there was a lot of contact by Talib). No problem whatsoever challenging a very good CB deep on third down in the preseason. On the second drive, we had two incompletions to Stevie Johnson from the 41. I'm having trouble remembering both of them; I felt like one should have been caught, but I don't think they showed the replay.

Not good, by any means. And I don't mean to explain away very legit concerns. I just don't think it calls for panic at this point, either. Though if Kap goes down, we may as well just play for a high draft pick....

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I 100% disagree! By having both Borland and Wilhoite playing together in place of Bow and Willis, we get to see them at their best positions having to carry out the same assignments as they would have to in the regular season in their respective positions. If they both suck, we have a problem, but we get to analyze it thoroughly. Having both Boone and Martin play side by side forces them to focus on their assignments without the cologne of Davis or Boone bailing them out on occasion. We get to see exactly how they would hold up and they are doing it against the other team's 1's.

As far as the defense looking confused, I totally agree but I also know that shit will hit the fan once the starters that are calling out assignments, audibles, etc. are out of the game. At one point, we had Johnson, and Acker at CB, Ward and McCray at S. Seriously, whose making the secondary calls with switches, reads, etc.?!? I expect a bit of confusion from Q2-Q4, but I do expect flashes of brilliance on occasion. Dial and Carradine are two perfect examples of players who have made some mistakes, but have also answered the question as to whether they were going to be contributors this season based on their play.
I do agree with your post but the bolded should be of concern. We still have a couple of preseason games so maybe we see a better back up roster.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kaep goes down we are hurting!! Sanchez is available!!! Go 49ers!!
I think most feel that way right now. IMO the 9ers with be picking up a QB on the waiver wires real soon. Gabbert just isn't the guy and was a bad sign.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There are definitely some concerns on D. ILB is looking shakier than I thought it would. I thought we might see both Wilhoite and Borland look like decent starters, and to date, they've both had their share of struggles. That said, it's hard to accurately assess them when they're playing behind a backup DL. Ray Lewis looked shaky when he was playing behind a less-than-stellar three-man front (and complained vocally about it). I also have concerns about the DBs. Especially when we play a team like Denver, we need to be more aggressive at the line. But that could be a preseason thing.

On offense, it's tough to say the first team has struggled in the red zone. On the first drive of the preseason, they had first and goal at the 15. Hyde ran to the right, and got about the worst spot I've seen in a professional football game. It should have either been a first down, or second and like 18". Instead, it was 3rd and 2. At that point, we brought in Hampton who ran off the right side for one yard. That's realistically our fourth-string RB running behind two backup OL. Even with the poor blocking, I think Hyde picks up that first. The blocking was problematic on third down, admittedly, but I think the fault there lies with the coaching staff not being truly committed to scoring.

In the second game, we didn't get into the red zone - which could be something of a problem in and of itself, but not of the failing to get it done in the red zone variety. Kap took a deep shot on third and four from the 37. Frankly, I thought the ball should have been caught (though there was a lot of contact by Talib). No problem whatsoever challenging a very good CB deep on third down in the preseason. On the second drive, we had two incompletions to Stevie Johnson from the 41. I'm having trouble remembering both of them; I felt like one should have been caught, but I don't think they showed the replay.

Not good, by any means. And I don't mean to explain away very legit concerns. I just don't think it calls for panic at this point, either. Though if Kap goes down, we may as well just play for a high draft pick....

Correction: Hyde ran to the left.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

certainly not panicking and do get the 1st unit offense didn't play much. So we'll see how it goes this next game, as this is where they play longer.

but if they don't get a TD again........no matter how they failed, they failed.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Wilhoite was solid taking the place of Willis last season so I tend to share the thoughts that he would be better with people around him.

Borland as well and I do think he has a better nose for the ball than Wilhoite but mentally you just can't put him into the starting lineup imo. In two games he's gotten fooled pretty badly which has lead to some big plays so until he cleans that up I think we have to go with Wilhoite.

The only DB I'm concerned with is Culliver. Reid and Brock will be fine, Bethea should be fine, and Ward will experience growing pains for a rookie but I believe he'll be fine too. Culliver has had a year off of football and coming back from an injury that typically for DBs is 2 years before they are right.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
certainly not panicking and do get the 1st unit offense didn't play much. So we'll see how it goes this next game, as this is where they play longer.

but if they don't get a TD again........no matter how they failed, they failed.

No doubt, I'd like to see some more out of them. I'm just not ready to chalk up the red down concerns of last season to this group just yet. I'm interested to see what the additions of Hyde, Johnson, Ellington, possibly Lloyd, the return of Miller and Crabtree (hopefully for the full season), and the improvement of McDonald do for the red zone offense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No doubt, I'd like to see some more out of them. I'm just not ready to chalk up the red down concerns of last season to this group just yet. I'm interested to see what the additions of Hyde, Johnson, Ellington, possibly Lloyd, the return of Miller and Crabtree (hopefully for the full season), and the improvement of McDonald do for the red zone offense.

having more talent certainly helps, but its really how Kaep handles it? it comes down to how he completes passes in the RZ? can he do it right across the RZ, or can he only throw to the corners?

since other teams know he hasn't passed well to date, they'll continue to adjust their D against the run. so have to wonder just how much difference Hyde and Miller makes? (in the RZ)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
having more talent certainly helps, but its really how Kaep handles it? it comes down to how he completes passes in the RZ? can he do it right across the RZ, or can he only throw to the corners?

since other teams know he hasn't passed well to date, they'll continue to adjust their D against the run. so have to wonder just how much difference Hyde and Miller makes? (in the RZ)

Yes, most of the team's success will come down to Kap, across the field but particularly in the red zone. I'm somewhat encouraged by him doing a better job of going through reads in the preseason, but we haven't seen him throwing in the red zone to date this year. It's interesting you say can he only throw to the corners, though. Frankly, I think throwing to the corners is by far his biggest weakness in the red zone. He's better throwing on a rope, not touch passes to the back corner.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Part of the issues in the RZ are from uninspired play calling.

It seems the RB is going to be a bigger part of our passing attack so that will help but I honestly think we could cure a lot of our RZ woes if we run Kap more when we're there.

If you scare defenses with the threat of running it in that will force them to be a little more antsy every time Kap approaches the LOS which will loosen them off of guys in the RZ and make for easier completions.

The amount of viable weapons should help as well as instead of just basically having VD and Boldin most of the season with Crabtree coming in later on now it looks like it'll be VD, Boldin, Stevie, Crabtree, Vance, and maybe Lloyd, Hyde, and Ellington. So we have a lot more guys to put pressure on defenses in general.