• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Left coast swing commences.....LAA 8/21-24

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did y'all know Gallo was placed on the concussion protocol list today?

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dave, when umpire throws up his right arm it's a strike.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a hike Drew:L

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dave, when umpire throws up his right arm it's a strike.

We certainly fleeced the Astros on "stealing" Dave right out from under them, didn't we?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incredible! Only one run between these two pitchers

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just snuck a look on my phone

I guess this game was a dud. Hopefully ABD takes Ross's spot in the rotation. Worth a shot anyway.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revisiting the Yu Darvish deal ...
Kevin Sherrington: "Let's talk about the Yu Darvish trade. ... At the time, I think they got what they could get for him. I don't think it was a bad trade from that standpoint. But was the decision now, looking where the Rangers are at right now, was the decision to trade Darvish a good one or a bad one?

Evan Grant: "I still believe it was probably the best decision they could make at the time. They were five-and-a-half games out, in a very deep wild-card race. They weren't playing particularly well. I think initially the thought process was, well, you didn't get Alex Verdugo, who was a center fielder. A center fielder is what the Rangers need. You didn't get Walker Buehler, who's a big-time pitcher and the team is thin at pitching, and what you were able to get at the top of that package was a left-handed hitter who's a really good hitter who doesn't have an identifiable position yet. And I think if you look around the Rangers right now, you could say, well, they've got a lot of good left-handed hitters that we're not really sure if they've got an identifiable position. So, of those three guys, Willie Calhoun, I think, came up as the least sexy of the names, but, the guy can hit, and he's a legit major-league hitter. And all the guys that I spoke with in Oklahoma City when I went up to watch him play with Round Rock, there's very little doubt that he will hit at the big-league level.

"The question always comes back to, OK, where are you gonna play him? And I think this gets into a long-term issue for the Rangers is, and it's not just Willie Calhoun, whether if they go back to Carlos Gomez in center field next year, which I think is a legitimate possibility. He's gonna be 32. He's still an adequate center fielder, but he's certainly no longer a Gold Glove center fielder. I think your right field options are Nomar Mazara and Shin-Soo Choo, and both of them are below-average defenders. We've seen that play out very, very clear again here in the last week, and I think that outfield defense is a real flaw for this team. Gerry kind of wrote about that over the weekend, and it's something that does come back to hurt this team a lot. You look at Boston and you look at their outfield, with [Andrew] Benintendi and [Mookie] Betts and [Jackie] Bradley [Jr.], and that's a team that takes runs and hits away from opponents. And the Rangers just don't do that in the outfield."

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Rangers GM Joe Klein has passed away a day after turning 75.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Klein left impact on game

One day Joe Marchese, a scout out of Chicago who would spend the spring evaluating talent in Florida, showed up at the Rangers Minor League complex in Plant City, Fla., and told Klein he had to go with him to check out a high school pitcher.

"I'm in uniform," Klein said he told the scout. "Workouts are about to begin."

Marchese assured Klein it was no big deal. He didn't need to change clothes. They could drive over to Plant City High School he could look at this kid from the car, and be back in time for workouts to begin.

A few minutes after arriving Klein began to wonder where the pitching prospect was. Marchese told him to check out the shortstop.

"He's a left-handed shortstop," Klein said.

"But watch that arm action," said Marchese.

Marchese assured Klein the high school player had no intention of going to college, was overlooked by other scouts, and would be a very reasonable sign. So when it came time to make the pick in the 39th round of the 1982 draft, Klein acquiesced and drafted Kenny Rogers, who signed for a reported $500 bonus.

"I went to extended spring in Sarasota, and my first day, I was throwing a bullpen for the first time in my life and tripped over the rubber," Rogers said.

Rogers made adjustments, as his 219 big league wins in a career that covered all or parts of 20 seasons attests.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Klein left impact on game

Klein had that ability to keep things in perspective. He would occasionally re-live the 1982 Winter Meetings in Honolulu. Klein had just become general manager and had a trade in place to acquire a package of players from the Dodgers, including two young pitchers named Dave Stewart and Orel Hershiser. Ownership killed the deal.

"If that trade had gone through I might have still been the general manager in Texas," Klein said decades later.

Klein shrugged his shoulders. Disappointed? Sure. Upset? Nah. It wasn't Klein's way. He dealt with reality and always looked forward to what was ahead.