• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron's most likely destination in 2018-2019

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that historical comeback against the Warriors last year, it looked like Lebron would finish his career off in Cleveland and cement his legacy there. The chatter for LA started early in the off season, but I thought it was all media driven. Now with the recent developments with Kyrie and Lebron's unhappiness with Dan Gilbert, I think Bron has his bags packed ready to leave Cleveland a 2nd time. But where will he go this time?

1) San Antonio Spurs
- San Antonio Spurs 2018-19 Salary Cap

The Spurs currently have 6 mil projected for 2018. If Aldridge opts out it will free up 22 mil. Danny Green and Rudy Gay also have player options for 10 and 8 mil respectively. I assume Green will opt out for more money. Gay may opt in for a chance to win a title. At 8 mil for Rudy Gay, that's a steal.

Assuming Aldridge and Green opts out, it should give the Spurs about 38 mil. If they can find a way to unload Gasol's contract (16 mil) then they can clear up enough space to bring in TWO big name free agents.

- Lebron James and Russell Westbrook
- Lebron James and Demarcus Cousins

That gives you a lineup of either

PG - Russell Westbrook
SG - Kawhi Leonard
SF - Lebron James
PF - Insert Veteran
C - Insert Veteran

or

PG - Patty Mills
SG - Kawhi Leonard
SF - Lebron James
PF - Insert Veteran
C - Demarcus Cousins

2) LA Lakers
- Los Angeles Lakers 2018-19 Salary Cap

Oh the allure of LA. The Lakers currently have 47 mil in cap space. They have the picks to play with to unload the contracts of Luol Deng (18 mil) and Jordan Clarkson (13 mil) which should give them about 78 mil in cap space.

If the Lakers get creative and the big name free agents are willing to take pay cuts they could land 3 guys the same way Miami did.

- Lebron, Westbrook, George + Dwade (Mid Level)
- Lebron, George, Cousins + Dwade (Mid Level)

That gives you a lineup of either

PG - Russell Westbrook
SG - Brandon Ingram
SF - Paul George
PF - Lebron James
C - Insert Veteran

or

PG - Lonzo Ball
SG - Brandon Ingram
SF - Paul George
PF - Lebron James
C - Demarcus Cousins

3) Lebron stays in Cleveland

This is all dependent on what happens with Kyrie Irving. If Cleveland lands a great package of players (Bledsoe, Jackson, 1st round) or (Wiggins, Dieng) and Cleveland makes the finals again or wins it, then Bron stays.

4) Seattle Supersonics

PG - Russell Westbrook
SG - James Harden
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Lebron James
C - Jack Sikma

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on how well Philly does this year, they could be a real contender for him. The reason being is that if their core shines, they'll all still be on rookie contracts and the 76ers will have a ton of cap space. They could realistically sign Lebron, sign another max free agent and still have their rookie core intact. If the 76ers make the playoffs this year, adding Lebron and another max free agent would put them atop the East.

But that's a huge if, depending on the progress of Philly.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook, Kawhi and LeBron? That'd be nuts.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA

his kids are registered for school there, and he has a house there.

nice sikma drop

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers CANNOT afford 3 max contracts next summer.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#futureWarriorfortheminimum

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you really think the SPURS did not realize this??
They did these moves so subtle and under the table to position themselves as the biggest player in 2018.

LA & Philly will be the only cap competitors, but SA will have Kawahi Leonard in his absolute prime age 27 year.
Kawahi is the rare superstar who sort of wants to hide in the background.
He would be totally willing to give up the spotlight.

It is not a coicidence that Rudy Gay is extremely close friends with Demarcus Cousins.
Their plan has been all along COUSINS + KAWAHI. Gay was just a way to help make it happen.

I dont know if Lebron or Westbrook also happens, but the Spurs will likely make a run at them as the 3rd star.

The Spurs decided to take a chance with what they have for 2017-18 and be the strongest free agent position next season.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did these moves so subtle and under the table to position themselves as the biggest player in 2018.

LA & Philly will be the only cap competitors, but SA will have Kawahi Leonard in his absolute prime age 27 year.

It is not a coicidence that Rudy Gay is extremely close friends with Demarcus Cousins.
Their plan has been all along COUSINS + KAWAHI. Gay was just a way to help make it happen.

I dont know if Lebron or Westbrook also happens, but the Spurs will likely make a run at them as the 3rd star.

The Spurs decided to take a chance with what they have for 2017-18 and be the strongest free agent position next season.
I agree with your assessment of Kawahi. I think he'd be the perfect robin to LBJ going forward. He's capable of getting wins without LBJ but wouldn't mind being #2. If they can make that happen they would be scary.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But if that happens, Gay would likely be a cap casualty as well. I don't see Gay taking even less than he's making this season. It's understandable he took the contract he did considering his injury last year.

I think Cousins is an ideal fit in San Antonio. Great culture that could get the most out of his talent with minimal headache.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook, Kawhi and LeBron? That'd be nuts.

See, I think they might be better off only signing LeBron and using the extra money for quality role players that fit the system. I am just not sure what Westbrook or Cousins would bring to the table there. I would be especially nervous with Russ as the PG and 3rd best player on the team. That could be trouble.

Kawhi and LeBron together could take down GS, but only with the right pieces around them. You need smart players who will understand their roles.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron will be 34-35 by then with a gazillion miles on his body and eventually injuries are going to hit him. By 2018-2019 he will be in clear decline. Really hes been in decline since leaving Miami. But by 2019 the decline will be much bigger. Not worth the money by then IMO

Its a bad investment, unless he takes a big pay cut. Which he wont of course

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spurs can have Cousins. Be careful what you wish for.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never considered James to the Spurs. Be interesting to see him and Popovich together though.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought LBJ would end up in New York, but I was so so wrong. Pop with LBJ would be interesting. I think he has that Tom Brady longevity in him. Just do