• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron James seems smaller

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to knock the guy or anything. But does anyone else notice he looks far less "athletic" looking as he did when he was with the Heat? I know a couple years ago he went on that diet (for whatever odd reason), but he doesn't have the same muscle build as he did a couple years ago.

Does anyone know the reason? Is this by choice? Age? I don't see the want to lose all that muscle he had as it really made him physically dominant over anyone who tried to guard him. He was too big for guards to guard him, and too fast for forwards to try and guard him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to knock the guy or anything. But does anyone else notice he looks far less "athletic" looking as he did when he was with the Heat? I know a couple years ago he went on that diet (for whatever odd reason), but he doesn't have the same muscle build as he did a couple years ago.

Does anyone know the reason? Is this by choice? Age? I don't see the want to lose all that muscle he had as it really made him physically dominant over anyone who tried to guard him. He was too big for guards to guard him, and too fast for forwards to try and guard him.
Oregon---- have you seen LeBron do one of his patented chase down blocks in the last half decade? I dont think I have....

When he was 22-23 those were freaking AWESOME!.....he shoots a lot of little post-up fade-aways in the lane now- which are pretty efficient, but no way is LEBron the same athlete that dunked on Garnett in the ECF "with no regard for human life".

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe he's had to change his "vitamin" intake. Wink, wink

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's much more judicious with the use of his athleticism. Generally speaking it does feel like his athleticism isn't what it used to be.

But, I swear there are still 1 or 2 moments every Cavs game where I'm like "damn, ok, this dude is still a freak athlete".

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Age saps the ability to maintain that level of muscles mass without turning into some flabbiness.
You start to get fatter as you head into your 30s, if you want to keep carrying such heavy body mass.

I think he made a conscious decision to drop a ton of weight before it start the inevitable fat gain battle with father time.

It is much easier to slim down now at age 31, then it would be for him to try and slim down at age 36.
The net result is going to be some loss of athleticism though...but it probably pays off long term.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Age saps the ability to maintain that level of muscles mass without turning into some flabbiness.
You start to get fatter as you head into your 30s, if you want to keep carrying such heavy body mass.

I think he made a conscious decision to drop a ton of weight before it start the inevitable fat gain battle with father time.

It is much easier to slim down now at age 31, then it would be for him to try and slim down at age 36.
The net result is going to be some loss of athleticism though...but it probably pays off long term.

That heavy body mass wears out the joints as well. It's a good idea for him longevity wise. Can he develop aspects of his game (ie. improved perimeter shooting) to counterbalance the inevitable loss of athleticism?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. /end thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 31. All players start losing their athleticism at about this age. Combine that with the fact that he has the added mileage from all of the deep playoff runs his teams have had and the heavy minutes he's had to play for those to happen and decline is inevitable.

It's why we're seeing him set up in the post a bit more and using the mid-range game a little more instead of just using his size, speed and athleticism to attack the basket. It's basically the same thing we've been watching Kobe go through for the past 6-7 years.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That heavy body mass wears out the joints as well. It's a good idea for him longevity wise. Can he develop aspects of his game (ie. improved perimeter shooting) to counterbalance the inevitable loss of athleticism?

Whats bizarre to me is he has become a worse shooter since leaving Miami, (where he consistently improved, to the point where he was making ~42-44% on mid range J's and ~40% on 3s). I am a LeBron guy, always have been. But it really makes you question what the hell he did all offseason.

He comes back this year with no new post moves, and his jumper appears to have gotten significantly worse. At a time of his career where he is supposed to be working on skills that will preserve/lengthen your career this is worrisome to me. Can't for the life of me understand why he doesn't develop 8-10 post moves he can rely on.

His career will fall off more quickly (at an earlier age I mean) than Kobe/MJ if he doesn't address this issue

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats bizarre to me is he has become a worse shooter since leaving Miami, (where he consistently improved, to the point where he was making ~42-44% on mid range J's and ~40% on 3s). I am a LeBron guy, always have been. But it really makes you question what the hell he did all offseason.

He comes back this year with no new post moves, and his jumper appears to have gotten significantly worse. At a time of his career where he is supposed to be working on skills that will preserve/lengthen your career this is worrisome to me. Can't for the life of me understand why he doesn't develop 8-10 post moves he can rely on.

His career will fall off more quickly (at an earlier age I mean) than Kobe/MJ if he doesn't address this issue

Yeah, what I've noticed that is different with Lebron getting older and Kobe and MJ getting older is that MJ and Kobe knew that the day would come where they could no longer rely just on their athleticism. So they started making changes to their games before they had to. Lebron appears to have waited until he had to make changes before he started.

I'd bet that he comes back next year with new post moves and a better touch from outside. Especially if the Cavs don't win the title this year.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, what I've noticed that is different with Lebron getting older and Kobe and MJ getting older is that MJ and Kobe knew that the day would come where they could no longer rely just on their athleticism. So they started making changes to their games before they had to. Lebron appears to have waited until he had to make changes before he started.

I'd bet that he comes back next year with new post moves and a better touch from outside. Especially if the Cavs don't win the title this year.

Don't know how he hasn't already realized it after he struggled so much with his shot in the playoffs.

Its not even that his shot hasn't improved in the past few years, its that it has actually regressed. That is what is worrisome

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it at the beginning of this year. Lebron's suffering from back issues and that's likely affected his outside shot. He was consistently getting better while in Miami regarding his jump shooting, and seemed like he did decent last year. All of a sudden the major drop off? Has to be back issues.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it at the beginning of this year. Lebron's suffering from back issues and that's likely affected his outside shot. He was consistently getting better while in Miami regarding his jump shooting, and seemed like he did decent last year. All of a sudden the major drop off? Has to be back issues.

he had an outside shot? That's news to me bro. Peace.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't the same player anymore. Im going to chalk it up do to back injury.

lilhook

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

basically

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had an outside shot? That's news to me bro. Peace.

His jump shot actually got really good. Hell, he had a 40% 3-pt. shooting season during the 2012-2013 season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He isn't the same athlete and now he is facing superior athletes just about every night, he can still hold up his end for the most part every night still while over 30 but he was a freak when he was younger. He needs to establish a better jumpshot or at least get in the most a lot more here soon.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His jump shot actually got really good. Hell, he had a 40% 3-pt. shooting season during the 2012-2013 season.

And over the last season in a half it hasn't been so great. He needs to get it back to where it was, especially while he is aging and his athletic ability isn't getting any better.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He think he waited a year too long but he did drop the weight this past year. I feel like if would have worked on changed his game this last season it would have been better, but he can't do everything at once. I am sure if this year continues like it does he will change his game up in the offseason, it would be a must like you said.