• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron James says the NBPA 'going backwards' right now

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,718.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron James said the National Basketball Players Association is "not in a good place right now" and that's why he's considering running for the union's vacant presidency.

"I just think the union is going backwards, and it's not in a good place right now," James said Saturday in an interview with ESPN after an event for his foundation at which he gave away hundreds of bicycles and tablet computers to underprivileged children in his hometown.

"I think my voice could be huge in that situation."

The players' union has been under scrutiny from its members following a 2011 collective bargaining agreement that saw the players give back significant revenue to ownership followed by a scandal involving former executive director Billy Hunter's use of union funds. Hunter was fired earlier this year, and president Derek Fisher's term ended this summer.

If elected, James would be the most high-profile star to lead the union since Patrick Ewing held the role more than 15 years ago. But with so many demands on his time, James hasn't decided whether he'll officially run. The union's summer meeting is later this month in Las Vegas.

Source: ESPN

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You telling me Billy Hunter fucked the union up? No shit...

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Bron going to do? Teach everybody how to dougie?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahahahaha, touche Flauge.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron did not say the NBPLA is going backwards. Saying the NBPA is not in a good play is not the same thing as going backwards. The NBPLA does need to replace Derick Fisher since his term ended and the Union President will also have to be replaced. Those things will happen. Life changes and goes on

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron James of Miami Heat won't run for NBPA president, sources say - ESPN

Looks like Lebron decided not to run. Bummer. I was intrigued by the idea of a high profile athlete in that position. Either way, the union still needs someone to replace Billy Hunter. That last CBA was just awful for the players (truthfully, it's not that good for the owners from a basketball standpoint either)

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like Lebron decided not to run. Bummer. I was intrigued by the idea of a high profile athlete in that position. Either way, the union still needs someone to replace Billy Hunter. That last CBA was just awful for the players (truthfully, it's not that good for the owners from a basketball standpoint either)
NBA players get paid great money compared to the other 3 major sports. Plus their contracts and money are guaranteed.

As long as the above keeps happening..... the players will always have a great deal.

Not sure what LeBron's thinking.

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are confused. Lebron was talking about replacing Fisher, not hunter, you moron.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The union president, Billy Hunter was not the one Lebron would have replaced. You have the union president and you have the president of the NBPLA. The last president of the NBPLA who worked with Billy Hunter was Derek Fisher. Derek Fisher's term ended this summer and now the players will have to meet to elect a new president. Bill Hunter will also be replaced because he did not have a legally signed contract, but also was accused of nepotism.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I can see where it reads that way. I know the difference. What I meant to say was regardless of if Lebron is the players' president or not, Hunter needs to be replaced as well.

And that last CBA was horrible. It was nothing but a money grab by the owners to ensure they would be guaranteed a profit even if they put a retarded squid in charge of the team's finances. The players got less money, its adverse to vet players (teams now valuing draft picks' cheaper contracts more), and there's more restrictions placed on player movement. If you honestly believe the player's got a fair deal, you have no clue about what's going on. It's not even good from a basketball standpoint for teams. "Competitive balance" is a farce. The tax penalties make it impossible for a team like Indiana to pay for a team. But LA, NYC, Brooklyn, etc can still pay if they chose to (like Brooklyn is this year). So did they solve the so called "big market" problem? Heck no. Because it never was a problem. The owners just publicly threw out that balance nonsense as an excuse to take more cash and restrict players. It was a cash grab by the owners and the union got steamrolled. Hunter is corrupt as hell and should be gone and the players would be wise to elect new reps that showed no support for him.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I can see where it reads that way. I know the difference. What I meant to say was regardless of if Lebron is the players' president or not, Hunter needs to be replaced as well.

And that last CBA was horrible. It was nothing but a money grab by the owners to ensure they would be guaranteed a profit even if they put a retarded squid in charge of the team's finances. The players got less money, its adverse to vet players (teams now valuing draft picks' cheaper contracts more), and there's more restrictions placed on player movement. If you honestly believe the player's got a fair deal, you have no clue about what's going on. It's not even good from a basketball standpoint for teams. "Competitive balance" is a farce. The tax penalties make it impossible for a team like Indiana to pay for a team. But LA, NYC, Brooklyn, etc can still pay if they chose to (like Brooklyn is this year). So did they solve the so called "big market" problem? Heck no. Because it never was a problem. The owners just publicly threw out that balance nonsense as an excuse to take more cash and restrict players. It was a cash grab by the owners and the union got steamrolled. Hunter is corrupt as hell and should be gone and the players would be wise to elect new reps that showed no support for him.

Don't sweat it, I figured about as much - it's just so funny to see Sman get all worked up over little things and Billy Hunter was forcebly removed before Fisher's term ended. In fact most people thought that Fisher would be forced out and be used as a scape goat after the the new cba was signed. I know Stephen A Smith thought Fisher was out of his league and that Hunter would blame him for the entire debacle. Fisher, however proved to be much smarter then Hunter - :lol:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that is why in 2017, both parties will be right back where they were before this new agreement.
The owners will once again be pushing for a hard cap, or as close to it as they can get.

Allowing Prokhorov to buy a team was a horrible move because he has a total lack of regard for business profit, as far as the NBA goes.

There is no way IMO that the next agreement will allow unending spending with the tax hit as the only deterrent.

What the Heat is currently doing may be as close to a long term winning 'dynasty' as we ever see again because the leagues focus, once again, will be try to seek parity.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...The tax penalties make it impossible for a team like Indiana to pay for a team. But LA, NYC, Brooklyn, etc can still pay if they chose to (like Brooklyn is this year). So did they solve the so called "big market" problem? Heck no...

If only somebody said that before...

Allowing Prokhorov to buy a team was a horrible move because he has a total lack of regard for business profit, as far as the NBA goes.

What the Heat is currently doing may be as close to a long term winning 'dynasty' as we ever see again because the leagues focus, once again, will be try to seek parity.

First the Heat, yes this would probably be true but I think there will always be a few top players who want to win and understand what it takes to do it. The big 3 have made the blueprint and others just need to follow, a very surprising number have immediately followed.

I do not think you give Prokhorov enough credit. His business model is nothing short of so genius it is literally unfair to other business's. It is a tried and proven business models for sports with out hard caps. The yankees perfected it as did the Lakers.

The difference is Prok has and is willing to spend much more money than anyone else has shown the willingness in the past.

Step one: acquire a team in a large market place, Nets, Brooklyn
Step 2: Spend a Shit ton of money on talent to ensure competitive

Now Fans will flock to buy their stuff around the world...

PROFIT!!!

Bonus MONEYZ: Brooklyn has a lot of hip hop roots and if anything has sold to the public more than anything else it is hip hop and it's culture. This is HUGE IMO!!!
B$+: Jay Z part owner to add street cred (even though he has already sold his shares)
B$++: Bring in well known players so that casual fans can vastly overestimate their championship chances (Knicks perfected that one)
B$+++: Just like Yao gives the Rockets a ton of over sea fans (mostly in China), Kobe gives the Lakers in europe, Prok will have those fans in Russia making them a global profit machine.
B$++++: be willing to make a dumb hire for the sake of more popularity, Jason Kidd an off season removed from playing now a HC? This basically just acts like one more well known player to sell tickets.
B$+++++: AK47 is no Yao or even Lin but he is going to add heaps to the Russian sales of things.

Will they ever win a Ring? Probably not with this roster but they will be a profit machine!!!

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only somebody said that before...

First the Heat, yes this would probably be true but I think there will always be a few top players who want to win and understand what it takes to do it. The big 3 have made the blueprint and others just need to follow, a very surprising number have immediately followed.

I do not think you give Prokhorov enough credit. His business model is nothing short of so genius it is literally unfair to other business's. It is a tried and proven business models for sports with out hard caps. The yankees perfected it as did the Lakers.

The difference is Prok has and is willing to spend much more money than anyone else has shown the willingness in the past.

Step one: acquire a team in a large market place, Nets, Brooklyn
Step 2: Spend a Shit ton of money on talent to ensure competitive

Now Fans will flock to buy their stuff around the world...

PROFIT!!!

Bonus MONEYZ: Brooklyn has a lot of hip hop roots and if anything has sold to the public more than anything else it is hip hop and it's culture. This is HUGE IMO!!!
B$+: Jay Z part owner to add street cred (even though he has already sold his shares)
B$++: Bring in well known players so that casual fans can vastly overestimate their championship chances (Knicks perfected that one)
B$+++: Just like Yao gives the Rockets a ton of over sea fans (mostly in China), Kobe gives the Lakers in europe, Prok will have those fans in Russia making them a global profit machine.
B$++++: be willing to make a dumb hire for the sake of more popularity, Jason Kidd an off season removed from playing now a HC? This basically just acts like one more well known player to sell tickets.
B$+++++: AK47 is no Yao or even Lin but he is going to add heaps to the Russian sales of things.

Will they ever win a Ring? Probably not with this roster but they will be a profit machine!!!

The Brooklyn Nets will not gain any profit this season whatsoever. The luxury tax penalties that they're going to incur is around $80 mil from my understanding. Micky Arison from the Heat has even said publicly that there hasn't been one season where he's made money off of the Heat (that includes any year of the Big 3 era except for 2010-2011). He did go onto saying that being an owner of an NBA team is more of a hobby then a business.

Y! SPORTS

If you're a competitive team like the Pacers and Spurs who are in prime positions to make profit (just right at the salary cap, but not well over), then you're guaranteed to make a substantial profit. Or if you're the Lakers who are sitting on a fat TV contract.

Jay Z also has no affiliation with the Nets now that he's an agent.