• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Laviolette fired

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet this came as a surprise to even Laviolette himself (this soon that is). Entering the game yesterday, my thought process was that this was a must-win game however and apparently Homer agreed. I say this because quite frankly these are three teams we should be beating. They aren't even the elite teams in the east.

If we're that inept against the Leafs, Canadiens and Canes, how are we going to fare against the Pens, Isles, Canucks, Wings, Yotes and Ducks among others later this month?

A major change might as well have been made now while we're 0-3 instead of waiting until we're 1-10 at the end of this month and the season is already about over.

I think this move just shows how truly unacceptable it is to our top execs like Snider, Luukko, Holmgren and Clarke that we're not even able to be competitive, let alone win.

It's been embarrassing. It took us seven periods and change before we scored our first even strength goal and it was about the 15th guy you'd expect to pot one. We've played nine total periods and I can say for sure we've played well in one of them, that's about it. It was the first period of the first damn game. Nothing since.

I loved the physical play in the last game, but there's still only one line doing anything offensively (and even that is in spurts), the power play is below average (for a team stacked with offensive talent), the penalty kill equally as bad (with everyone healthy) and the timing/chemistry of nearly every player isn't even remotely close to where it should be. This all wreaks of the coach not having his team prepared.

Im so mad as i got teased by the first 15 minutes of the Toronto game. Every line was flying up and down the ice anytime we lost the puck our players skated as fast as they could to the Leaf with the puck and got to him before he could pass it around. After that we have stood around and watched on defense while they make plays going the other way. Teams break out on us so easy no sustained pressure. We have a lot of guys watching and not really playing hockey.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im so mad as i got teased by the first 15 minutes of the Toronto game. Every line was flying up and down the ice anytime we lost the puck our players skated as fast as they could to the Leaf with the puck and got to him before he could pass it around. After that we have stood around and watched on defense while they make plays going the other way. Teams break out on us so easy no sustained pressure. We have a lot of guys watching and not really playing hockey.

I don't have any official numbers on this, but we must be turning the puck over and having shots go wide or get blocked at an alarming rate. It's as if the other team is a step ahead of us at every single turn. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. The situation is unprecedented, so the early firing of the head coach had to be of the same variety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think that aside from maybe the first game (if only due to that strong first period), we should be getting whooped a lot worse than we are. Our goalies are actually performing quite well and the opposition have been rusty enough to miss some glorious chances themselves. We're not even getting the puck out of our own damn zone, let alone getting good chances at the other end.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Circle this on your calendar boys. Flyers vs Avs. Roy vs Berube! Lol, now this will be interesting to watch:)

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure wish that Scotty Bowman wasn't locked up long term w the Hawks. It this kind of guy that this team needs to fire the spark again.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank (the non-existent) god they didn't wait 10 to 20 games to see if he could turn it around.

Said it before: I like Lavy a lot, but the players played like crap, and he couldn't fix it, so he's gotta go. A merciful firing at this point, I would say.

Wish there was a "Scotty Bowman" out there somewhere, but I don't think that's the case. Berube will likely be an interim... unless they do well, and then they'll give him a 3 years contract!!!

Agree on all points.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 games into the season. Damn

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has to prove to themselves that they are a much better group.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen to Ed Snider

Ed Snider said:
I thought our training camp, quite frankly, was one of the worst training camps I've ever seen. Nobody shined. Nobody looked good. I couldn't point to one thing that I thought was a positive. Unfortunately, my worries were realized.

This is a quote from the founder of the team, a guy who has seen around 45 training camps. I trust and believe what he is saying, especially after watching the final preseason game and every minute of the first three games. It goes a long way toward explaining why the team is completely unprepared out on the ice.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really surprising the Flyers would be so bad in training camp, you would think that by signing 2 former captains in Lacavalier & Streit that everyone would be ready to go. I'm not sure how much blame Laviolette gets but when you have that much offensive talent and you're only scoring 1 goal per game, I guess a change needed to be made.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a quote from the founder of the team, a guy who has seen around 45 training camps. I trust and believe what he is saying, especially after watching the final preseason game and every minute of the first three games. It goes a long way toward explaining why the team is completely unprepared out on the ice.

I just heard about this multi million dollar law suit that he was apart of against Bank of America, was Lavi distracted? Or was it just that the players realized their system was never going to be successful? I lean towards the latter.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've been funny if Laviolette was suing Wells Fargo instead.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading quite a few articles I feel a little better about Berube. He's been groomed by the Flyers for exactly this scenario. Coached in the AHL and did well. Learned from Stevens and Lavy. Now has former head coach Paddock in his camp plus motivation guru Lappy on his team. Hopefully the combination works if not they bridge the gap for now.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we all expected to have a strong season whether Laviolette were fired or not, so I hope the fact that he was fired does not significantly diminish our chances. You might think it would, but I still believe in the players we already have, they just haven't executed at all throughout the preseason and these first few games.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we all expected to have a strong season whether Laviolette were fired or not, so I hope the fact that he was fired does not significantly diminish our chances. You might think it would, but I still believe in the players we already have, they just haven't executed at all throughout the preseason and these first few games.

i actually thought all preseason that we shouldn't start judging the flyers until a new coach was in place.. so even though it seems weird to fire your coach so quickly, i'm glad they did and think they will be much better this season than if they had stuck it out with lavy

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually thought all preseason that we shouldn't start judging the flyers until a new coach was in place.. so even though it seems weird to fire your coach so quickly, i'm glad they did and think they will be much better this season than if they had stuck it out with lavy

It's up to the players now to justify the firing of Laviolette. They and him were clearly not on the same page, which makes you think they were virtually tanking to get him fired. Well, you got what you wanted and now it's time to man up and show us what you can do.

This still brings up the question of how none of the Flyers' top execs at the end of last season or during the offseason had any idea that essentially all of their players had run their course with Laviolette and were done with him. I say this because it obviously would've been way more convenient to fire him then. These issues didn't just start in training camp as our guys have looked clueless from day one. This was leftover from last season.