• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Laurent Robinson

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just posted on another thread concerning adding Eric Wright (hypothetically).

My point to Meow is that it doesn't cost anything to bring a guy like that in on a one year deal now that we can have 90 guys on the roster. We can keep him through training camp and see what shakes out. Maybe he doesn't cut it and we just cut him? Maybe one or more of our other WRs expected to make the roster gets a serious injury?

If he does well enough to warrant a roster spot, but the injuries make Schwartz and Co. nervous about giving him a roster spot he can be put on the PUP list for the first 6 weeks of the season (plus 3 more weeks practicing with the team after that) before we'd have to activate or cut him. That would give us great injury protection through half the season without costing us a draft pick or anything against the salary cap...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand you TP. I just want a youth movement in Detroit. There is a lot of talent on this team at many positions. Maybe if this was OLB, I would be all for it. That is one position we as fans are skeptical of. WR is not for me. Yes Broyles and Burleson are question marks on health. Just feel the guys we have already signed fill in fine until they are healthy.

Just my opinion, these are not stat backed statements or facts... just saying TP. Be easy on me dissagreeing with you!!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand you TP. I just want a youth movement in Detroit. There is a lot of talent on this team at many positions. Maybe if this was OLB, I would be all for it. That is one position we as fans are skeptical of. WR is not for me. Yes Broyles and Burleson are question marks on health. Just feel the guys we have already signed fill in fine until they are healthy.

Just my opinion, these are not stat backed statements or facts... just saying TP. Be easy on me dissagreeing with you!!

Lol.

This is a scenario where you can have your cake and eat it, too. We currently have enough roster spots available that we can have the young guys and an established vet like Robinson. Take a look at some of the (12) WRs currently on the roster- wouldn't you rather have Robinson over a guy like Terrance Austin or Matt Willis?

That's all it comes down to for me: is he better than another veteran of the same position on the roster? The answer in this case is an easy yes. We can swap him for one of those vet WRs I mentioned above without having to lose any of the young guys we already have...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he is more taleneted than half of our WR's on roster. The other 4 or 5 will not make the roster anyway. Is he better than our top 5??? I think either Fuller or Edwards will step in and excel this year. (IMO) I say NO!! I will agree some vets are great to bring in. Bannan coming in today I like. We need depth at DT and he is not on his 5th team in 4 years or being released by Jacksonville one year after signing a 4 year deal. The Jags for pete's sake. As we know they have plethora of talent at WR. He has got talent and for Jags to release tell me his brain is jello from concussions.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he is more taleneted than half of our WR's on roster. The other 4 or 5 will not make the roster anyway. Is he better than our top 5???

I think his health makes that irrelevant. I wouldn't make him one of the final 53 regardless of how well he does in camp, I just want him in as injury insurance.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree he is better than Mike "butter-fingers" Thomas. The only reason Thomas has not been cut is because of his ST play. He still is not guaranteed to make the team this year. If he does he will have to be much better than he has been up ton now.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his health makes that irrelevant. I wouldn't make him one of the final 53 regardless of how well he does in camp, I just want him in as injury insurance.

Are hitting the bowl right now???

:frusty: :help: :puzzled:

Can you please speak in unbaked english for me. I loathe your knowledge. Esplane Lucy please!!!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I am reading this correct, you want to bring him and cut him only to maybe have down the road for injury purposes... My brain process says if he is cut by Lions and nobody picks him up. He would have been available today tomorrow and Oct. 10th... You need to tip your supplier!!!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree he is better than Mike "butter-fingers" Thomas. The only reason Thomas has not been cut is because of his ST play. He still is not guaranteed to make the team this year. If he does he will have to be much better than he has been up ton now.

:agree: I stated he is more talented than some of our guys. Four concussions last year, Jahvid Best ring a bell (pun intended) Do not want him!!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are hitting the bowl right now???

:frusty: :help: :puzzled:

Can you please speak in unbaked english for me. I loathe your knowledge. Esplane Lucy please!!!

Sorry, I'll see if I can make more sense.

With his concussion history I wouldn't trust giving him a final 53 roster spot. He's talented, but one hit could easily end his season.

However, we can have him in through camp and preseason to learn the offense and get some chemistry developed with Stafford. Then, at the end of the preseason, we can put him on the PUP list for (up to) the first 6 weeks and then I believe he gets 3 more weeks practicing with us before we have to decide whether to activate him and cut someone else, or just cut him. At any point in that 9 weeks he can be added to the active roster.

So under this scenario we'd have a talented veteran WR available that no other team could sign, yet he wouldn't count against our 53 man roster. That's where my comment about keeping him just for injury insurance came from.

Consequently I think we should do the exact same thing with Eric Wright. We always rack up injuries at CB and WR, so let's lock up two veteran replacements that we can keep until past the midway point of the season for "free" as far as the cap and roster go...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am reading this correct, you want to bring him and cut him only to maybe have down the road for injury purposes... My brain process says if he is cut by Lions and nobody picks him up. He would have been available today tomorrow and Oct. 10th... You need to tip your supplier!!!

See above for clarification, but even your scenario isn't a terrible idea if putting a guy on PUP isn't an option.

Maybe someone we cut with the intention of being and in-season injury replacement gets signed by another team, maybe not. It's a crap-shoot, but there's also not really anything lost with the all the new offseason roster spots they added. Look at some of the guys on our current 90 man roster, we wouldn't be losing much at all if we take a gamble on "training" a potential mid-season injury fill-in and he ends up signing elsewhere...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of it this way- when Burleson went down last year wouldn't it have been nice to have Laurent Robinson stashed on the PUP list ready to go? Better than signing whoever is left on the free agent market...

uofmarmyguy

Meat Popsicle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thread jacking I know, but Gandy gets my vote for greatest avatar ever!!! I almost spewed monster all over my gov't computer when I saw this!!

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spew monster every day.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then, at the end of the preseason, we can put him on the PUP list for (up to) the first 6 weeks and then I believe he gets 3 more weeks practicing with us before we have to decide whether to activate him and cut someone else, or just cut him. At any point in that 9 weeks he can be added to the active roster.

I might be wrong TPaul. He has to sit out first 6 games no matter what. Then the 3 week practice period begins where he could play during that time frame. He cannot practice with the team at all during camp. You can only PUP for first 6 if you were on the preseason PUP list. Which means no practice time at all. I may be wrong??? Just how I always interpreted the rule...

:feedback: anyone else got insite on this??

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could well be right about him not being able to be activated during that 6 week window, but I think we can put him on the PUP at any time during the preseason.