• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lattimore Story

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, my view is probably pretty unpopular but I think Hunter is the most likely to go. The #2 will be either Hyde or Lattimore and LMJ stays on in a ST role or when needed a change of pace back. IIRC LMJ did a decent job filling in for hunter when hunter went down.

I like hunter but I don't see him filling in ST roles and his long term value is less than either Lattimore, assuming he gets back to at least 75% of what he was before, or Hyde.

I think Hunter is better than James and could take over his duties.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is literally a zero percent chance that

A) Lattimore ends up on the practice squad

or that

B) Gore gets cut this year

Book it bros. Literally zero percent chance either of those things happens. Both are impossible. Won't happen. Ever. Not a chance.

I agree with Crimson, the way this is shaping up I bet they keep 5 RBs, unless James really shits the bed (which I expect him to do sooner rather than later, but I could easily see him keeping his job at least to start the year).

what does this mean? cause they already know what LMJ can do.......and can't do.

Hyde was drafted too high to go anywhere but the 53, so the only unknown is Lattimore. Lattimore went thru a horrific injury and sat for over a year. we shouldn't get our expectations up TOO high?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
maybe it depends how much you're swayed by his PAST reputation?

keep in mind this decision IF it ever gets there - would be made after at the last cut down. by then Lattimore would've practiced a lot in pads, and played in four pre-season games. if at that point he hasn't shown much, the PS is a possibility.

not predicting he'll go there by any means, and certainly not hoping he does poorly. guess I'm saying no guarantee he plays well?

That's an explanation of why the Niners might cut him, and I suppose that is a possibility. However, getting him to the PS requires not only us cutting him, but no other team picking him up. I think the odds of that are pretty slim. This is a guy who, prior to the injury, was arguably looking like the best running back in his class. Obviously the injury is a concern, but it only takes one team banking on him returning to form to prevent him from reaching our PS. He's an incredibly high character guy, hard worker, and at one point was a very good RB. What are the chances that no team would even bring him in to have their doctors and training staff take a look at him for a couple weeks?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an explanation of why the Niners might cut him, and I suppose that is a possibility. However, getting him to the PS requires not only us cutting him, but no other team picking him up. I think the odds of that are pretty slim. This is a guy who, prior to the injury, was arguably looking like the best running back in his class. Obviously the injury is a concern, but it only takes one team banking on him returning to form to prevent him from reaching our PS. He's an incredibly high character guy, hard worker, and at one point was a very good RB. What are the chances that no team would even bring him in to have their doctors and training staff take a look at him for a couple weeks?

The odds of ML not being snatched from our P.S. is slim to none.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yeah ok, if he performs "so-so" rest of this off-season, then he'd be cut first before reaching the PS.

if he had flashed a few times then we might consider him for the PS, else just be cut.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah ok, if he performs "so-so" rest of this off-season, then he'd be cut first before reaching the PS.

if he had flashed a few times then we might consider him for the PS, else just be cut.

A player must be waived before he can be placed on the PS. Once that happens, any other team can pick him up. I can't see Marcus Lattimore clearing waivers unless he's downright terrible in the preseason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The odds of ML not being snatched from our P.S. is slim to none.

if he had just done poorly with the 49ers, then the 49ers can't worry about it.

ie do you cling to his past college name/reputation/potential pre-injury, or his current NFL performance with the 49ers?

anyway, overall this is only a small possibility the 49ers even get to his situation. do think Lattimore is more likely to show 'ok' over 'poor'.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ie do you cling to his past college name/reputation/potential pre-injury, or his current NFL performance with the 49ers?

anyway, overall this is only a small possibility the 49ers even get to his situation. do think Lattimore is more likely to show 'ok' over 'poor'.

Of course the team isn't going to keep him based on what he did in college. The problem is I don't think where he is at in his stage of recovery can a definitive conclusion be made by training camp of whether he is going to be good for the future.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course the team isn't going to keep him based on what he did in college. The problem is I don't think where he is at in his stage of recovery can a definitive conclusion be made by training camp of whether he is going to be good for the future.

allow me one last reply.......

agree it might be just too short a time frame, vice he'll never run well. but don't think we can keep him on the 53 this year, to find out next? cause at the same time, you cut someone else who you feel good about.

for EXAMPLE, what if Reaser (or was it Acker?) plays VERY well right thru four Pre-Season games. if it comes down to a decision between Lattimore or Reaser, who do you keep?

I'd keep the guy who just showed me he can play, as opposed to hoping Lattimore returns to his old self next season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Conversely, do you dismiss his past entirely because of two months of occasional contact drills and four preseason games in the NFL? He showed very good vision, footwork, instincts, speed, and power in college. It is hard to find a player who combines all those things as well as Lattimore did. I think he would have to show that he is at or near 100% - and still be bad - for us to waive him. And again, if we do waive him, it's hard to imagine that no other team would take a chance on him. Most teams aren't four or five deep at RB.

To put this in perspective, these are a few of the third RBs in the league: Jonathan Dwyer (ARI), Isaiah Pead/Benny Cunningham (STL), Ronnie Hillman/CJ Anderson (DEN), Latavius Murray (OAK), Antone Smith (ATL), Kenyon Barner (CAR), Dennis Johnson (HOU), Denard Robinson (JAX), Shaun Draughn (CHI), DuJuan Harris (GB), Jerick McKinnon (MIN), Dion Lewis (CLE), Lance Dunbar (DAL), Chris Polk (PHI), Evan Royster (WAS), Daniel Thomas (MIA), Branden Boldin (NE), and Bilal Powell (NYJ). Those are third RBs. I would guess the average for RBs on an NFL roster is four. If we waive Lattimore, one of those teams would snap him up in a second based on his upside alone.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
allow me one last reply.......

agree it might be just too short a time frame, vice he'll never run well. but don't think we can keep him on the 53 this year, to find out next? cause at the same time, you cut someone else who you feel good about.

for EXAMPLE, what if Reaser (or was it Acker?) plays VERY well right thru four Pre-Season games. if it comes down to a decision between Lattimore or Reaser, who do you keep?

I'd keep the guy who just showed me he can play, as opposed to hoping Lattimore returns to his old self next season.

It's not one guy versus another, though. You have to consider the position. If someone plays very well at CB - and by very well I mean shows starting ability - we absolutely keep that player because we have major question marks at CB. A roster is created with the whole in mind, and a number of players further down on the ladder have to be kept with an eye toward the future. Ideally, if you're cutting a starting caliber player, it's only at a position where we are already very deep (e.g. the DL, ILB, or possibly WR).

If Hyde comes out and lights it up, LMJ suddenly discovers how to run inside, and Hunter looks better than he did before the injury, then we could consider cutting Lattimore if he struggles. And in that case, I would expect another team to pick him up the same day.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I only see Lattimore getting cut if the team is confident his knee wouldn't allow him to be any better than average RB.

Too much potential and talent to not give him a chance to work back into the swing of things even if he doesn't have a good preseason.

Also keep in mind we're heavy on RB this season but that's not going to be the case next season with Gore, Hunter, and maybe LMJ all likely gone. I think the team views Hyde and Lattimore as the future and view this season as breaking them both in so they are full blast in 2015.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what does this mean? cause they already know what LMJ can do.......and can't do.

Hyde was drafted too high to go anywhere but the 53, so the only unknown is Lattimore. Lattimore went thru a horrific injury and sat for over a year. we shouldn't get our expectations up TOO high?

LaMichael James is a piece of garbage. He provides nothing on offense. It's not a matter of if he'll muff a punt and break the team's back, it's when. But if they don't have anyone else, they're stuck with him.

This team has never exactly been keen on bringing in good returners. The earliest returner I can remember is Carter. We have been haunted by suck at that position for like 20 years, at least. Only possible exception might be Ginn?

If James can just survive preseason (and I'm guessing he will, I doubt he fields a whole lot during that time) then I expect him to be on the opening day roster. Isn't that what we are talking about? The opening day roster?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player must be waived before he can be placed on the PS. Once that happens, any other team can pick him up. I can't see Marcus Lattimore clearing waivers unless he's downright terrible in the preseason.
He wouldn't. Some team will pick him up.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaMichael James is a piece of garbage. He provides nothing on offense. It's not a matter of if he'll muff a punt and break the team's back, it's when. But if they don't have anyone else, they're stuck with him.

This team has never exactly been keen on bringing in good returners. The earliest returner I can remember is Carter. We have been haunted by suck at that position for like 20 years, at least. Only possible exception might be Ginn?

If James can just survive preseason (and I'm guessing he will, I doubt he fields a whole lot during that time) then I expect him to be on the opening day roster. Isn't that what we are talking about? The opening day roster?
I wouldn't use those same words but I think LMJ gets the cut this season. I just don't see the promise of a great career .

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Harbaugh would never behave like a Bill Beeee-licheat, but it would be so nice to play Lattimore during the preseason and then be a bit morally ambiguous by stashing him on the PUP til week 6 due to an unfortunate "injury."

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what they say about ACL patients - it's the second year that they actually get their wheels back.

As much as I want Lattimore to succeed, I'm cautiously optimistic about him and believe that we won't see the true Lattimore (if there's something left) til next year. His injury technically was more horrific than Gore's so when people out there say Gore went through the same thing, they're practically wrong in their assessment.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys on Garnet & Black and FanSided are speculating that Marcus Lattimore won't play in 2014. Why is it so hard to get anything conclusive on this guy?